Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

3 Months Until Sleep Study
RE: 3 Months Until Sleep Study
If you have modest financial means, you could just buy a CPAP through FB Marketplace or Craigslist. A Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset should cost $2xx to $350 with reasonably low hours. The Resmed Autoset is an automatic CPAP that will self-titrate and provide full data so you can KNOW what is going on. You get immediate treatment and you can decide if a sleep test is a good idea or not. You will also learn if you have central apnea, in which case, a sleep test may confirm the problem and you can just skip the CPAP trial which won't work. I think it's a good investment in your health. The alternative is to wait 4 months for a test and additional time for the results to be reviewed and equipment dispensed. You could be looking at March or April.

Skip the pulse oximeter, get the Autoset.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you everyone! It's really comforting to know there is a knowledgeable community that is willing to help. I have been feeling a bit helpless until now.

Sleeprider - My wife actually suggested just buying a cpap. But after doing some reading I thought that it would be unsafe to do so without knowing the specifics of my condition. I read that setting the wrong pressure could be detrimental. But if I'm understanding you correctly, you are saying that a device such as the Resmed Autoset will be able to determine my condition and the settings I need by just sleeping with it in a type of test mode?
Post Reply Post Reply
An AutoSet enables a CPAP to run in an Auto Mode that will range between the Min and Max settings. You and AB members can see data of the sleep session if you use OSCAR the free report tool, an SD card of 2-32GB in standard SD or SDHC type of any brand is inserted into the CPAP, AutoSet, etc. machine. Use the SD card to store data and to upload to OSCAR on the PC and then screenshots of the data can be attached to a post from you. We get to see your therapy and then we comment and suggest setting changes if needed. the AutoSet does not have a test mode that says if you have apnea but it will show events you do have as they happen, again available in great detail on OSCAR. Doing this seems like some work, but be mindful most doctors will not be nearly as hands on, even the one that scripts a PAP to the patient. They check for compliance and may ask if the therapy is doing well, again focused on compliance.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have never seen anyone harmed by CPAP. We will suggest settings that work for most people and review the data after the first night. The biggest risk is that you have central apnea rather than obstructive apnea, and the CPAP may not be as effective if that is the case. Be assured that even if it turns out you have central events, nearly everyone is prescribed CPAP as their first machine. Insurance companies require it because they cost less than more advanced treatment options, and it has a fairly high rate of success. The other argument for self-titration is that you can do this yourself, and use the same methods that the sleep lab uses...trial and error. The only difference is whether you want to wait for a full diagnosis. Given your current discomfort, I think you should self-treat. By the time the diagnostic test is scheduled, you will already know what is going on and can be a more active participant in that process. Assuming you get a positive diagnosis, your equipment will be covered under your VA benefit, and you can use the machine you buy as a backup or sell it to recover most of your investment.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you. That is some valuable information. I'll start looking into Resmed Autoset machines and see what I can find. I like the idea of getting this process underway sooner than 3 months. I appreciate the recommendation SR. And I appreciate all the info about OSCAR, SD. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Once you've gotten the PAP, let us know and we'll help with self titration and advocacy. Post that here as well to contain therapy in a single thread.

To your near future success Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Without a prescription, you will need to source a CPAP mask by buying parts. I suggest you consider the very light and minimal Resmed Airfit P10 nasal pillows mask. You will need headgear, frame and a cushion of appropriate size. Buying by parts avoids the need to use a prescription, and ends up being under $100 for the whole mask if you shop around. Entire mask kits include 3 sizes of cushions S, M, L. If you're stuck choosing, just get the large. A heated tube for the Airsense 10 costs about $35 on Amazon and does not require a prescription. Ebay, Amazon and any online CPAP store will sell mask parts, tube and filter at a very reasonable price. Check out our Supplier List link at the top of the forum.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Sounds great! I was wondering about the mask and accessories. Thanks for the info. I'll be back on once I get my equipment. Again, thank you!!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Friends!

I have a quick question about the ResMed AirSense 10. Is this machine an autoset or do I need to look for a machine named ResMed Autoset? I'm assuming these are one in the same, but I want to be sure. I found one that the seller is claiming to be brand new on FB marketplace for $400.

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Full name is ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 216 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 73 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 528 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 117 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 143 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  Split night sleep study Bwanajohn51 0 62 03-20-2024, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Bwanajohn51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.