Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

3 Months Until Sleep Study
RE: 3 Months Until Sleep Study
copy and happy new year to you as well, PS if you try the Vicks liquid stuff, the real Vicks brand is maybe $3 more per bottle than CVS or etc, but mucho better/stronger. The warm mist machine I use is Vicks but that matters less than that liquid Vicks bottle. I do pour a drop or 5 right in the water and let it steam away. This can be used in that old style vaporizer with the carbon rods, etc. Ditto on dumping Vicks liquid right into the water. I go with newer warm mist machine as it's seemingly easier for me to operate. No mixing in salt to get it to run, and etc.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The idea with Afrin and Flonase, is that Afrin gets immediate relief, while Flonase need to build up a few days to provide longer term relief. By the time you have used Afrin 3 or 4 days that's it, you have to stop that, but the Flonase will have built up to where it continues the relief. Good luck and hope you find yourself on the mend.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks SR! It definitely worked like a charm last night. I'm following your recommendations. I'd also like to get a humidifier sometime and try the Vicks for me and the fam too at some point.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yep the Flonase does take several days use to begin doing its stuff.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I hope everyone is having a great start to the New Year. I'm hoping mine will kick in soon. 

I had a very rough night last night. No sleep. I had a lightly stuffy nose last night, but did not want to use the Afrin again. I've been using the Flonase, but I'm still not completely clear at night. This was only part of the issue. I could not get past the SWJ last night. I kept experiencing hypnic jerks and/or gasping for breath upon falling asleep. I don't think I ever hit <90% desaturation. I have a finger oximeter that I put on my finger when it happened a couple times and it didn't look to get below 95%. According to the OSCAR from the prior night (I got ZERO sleep last night), it looks like these are central type events. I'll attach 4 screenshots. First will be all night. The next two will be 3 minute shots of my flow rate, one showing a flag, and the other a disturbance that wasn't flagged, The fourth is where it looks like everything is hunky-dory. But I'd like to know if this is what a normal flow rate should look like.

Thank you! Smile

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
OK. I couldn't squeeze the fourth one into the last post. This is the one that seems OK. DOes this flow rate look OK? Or is my breathing off in general?

Thanks again!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Based on the flattened inspiratory wave suggesting flow limits, you should increase EPR. I'm pretty sure this is a reflection of the nasal congestion and should clear up when you do.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks SR!
Post Reply Post Reply
I've had a few issues the past couple nights. Not sure if it is related to my recent bout with COVID or not. But the past two nights I would wake up gasping heavily for air upon going to sleep. It was so bad I only got a couple hours of sleep the first night, and did not get to sleep until almost 4am last night. But I think I have solved the issue. I've had my pressure set at 7-12. And while my pressure rarely rises past 8 during the night, I still felt I wasn't getting enough breath when falling asleep. After a 22 second event with my oxygen falling below 90% last night, I raised the pressure from 7 to 12. I know that's a huge jump, but I was in a dark and irrational place at that point last night which was around 3:30 am or so. I set it @ 12 to 15 with EPR set at 3. I went right to sleep and slept well. I woke up at 10:30 am and had 4 events within that period. I find with this pressure it is very easy to breathe while falling asleep. Even moreso than just laying awake breathing through my nose without a mask.

Is this a range I should stick with to see how it goes? Or should I drop down a little bit and start working up incrementally as needed?

Thanks Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
If you're happier with the higher, why not run with it. Set it where events are treated and where you're most comfortable. Find that spot where these cross and that's probably a good place.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 240 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 77 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 532 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 190 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 120 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 148 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  Split night sleep study Bwanajohn51 0 65 03-20-2024, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Bwanajohn51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.