Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

6 Days on my own, then DME (Olivander's Mask Shop)
RE: 6 Days on my own, then DME (Olivander's Mask Shop)
(10-15-2019, 10:39 AM)sheepless Wrote: a small point I mention because I haven't studied up on sleep architecture (meaning I'm not sure about this). I read that people prone to periodic limb movement don't have them in REM because our muscles are paralyzed, ostensibly so we don't hurt ourselves dreaming. if true, your mask issue may be more from slouching face muscles than from movement. again, a small point but one I'm curious about.

I don't think the paralysis is total. I've seen animals and people acting out their dreams. It's usually very attenuated of course, but not always. I've been told I talk in my sleep sometimes.

That said, it is entirely possible that relaxed muscles are allowing the mask to shift slightly. It's not a huge problem, but there's room for improvement. I've thought about putting something like a silicone rubber wedding band around the middle of the P30i cushion. The idea is to push it out slightly to where it seals better, closer to the center of the nostrils. The band would have to be sized to fit loosely though, so it doesn't block the flow through the diffuser.
Post Reply Post Reply
During my second night at 15~18, EPR 3, Centrals dropped to just my usual handful of 10ish second WSJ/arousal breath holds. The full minute event from last night (at the moment I fell asleep) did not repeat. I slept well overall, except for being awakened once by the dog and once by a storm (though I apparently slept through the loudest part of it per my daughter).

I feel better, like I haven't been working as hard to breathe.

As anyone with asthma knows, when you are struggling for air, you enlist every upper body muscle you can to expand the chest a bit more. I think that's why my FL numbers haven't been huge even when I'm struggling, though I do sometimes see some peak flattening during inspiraton. After a lifetime of asthma (and years of poorly-managed apnea), I'm somewhat adapted to this and will work as hard as it takes to get air (or try to - can't overcome OA), but it leaves me feeling beaten-up in the morning even when the numbers look good.
Post Reply Post Reply
I just realized I never drank my second cup of coffee this morning, and my sinuses feel more open than usual.

It doesn’t take 15 cmH2O to open the outer part of my nose, though it is VERY sensitive to the mask design. I think the higher pressure is also shrinking the turbinates a little, by reducing edema and/or engorgement (like compression socks).
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] New User; Fine Tuning- First 3 Days of Data jgthegrouch 9 422 01-16-2024, 02:25 PM
Last Post: jgthegrouch
  Abdominal pain from open mouth. 4 days Neo2020 1 341 01-03-2024, 04:40 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Bad O2 days with APAP? ikwtif 23 1,729 11-21-2023, 04:38 PM
Last Post: BeautifulDay
  [Treatment] Three days using Soft Cervical Collar, AHI 6.73, 4.81, 22.28; makes sense? Aldiorg 9 905 11-15-2023, 12:47 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Airsense 11 doesn't write SD data on some days only chipschap 7 674 10-07-2023, 04:14 PM
Last Post: chipschap
  Persistent micro arousals? first few days on ResMed after switch from Philips. manders513 9 1,095 05-18-2023, 01:22 PM
Last Post: manders513
Wink [CPAP] SD CARD NOT SHOWING RECENT 12 DAYS * SOLVED * Samultra 1 502 05-12-2023, 10:18 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.