Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

7 Months in, Still Struggling, asking for any advice.
7 Months in, Still Struggling, asking for any advice.
Hey whats up, honestly I have no idea how to read these charts. I only recently discovered this forum and got Oscar so I am trying to learn. I have made the mistake of changing my settings too often and not grabbing enough data before changing again. 

Once I saw that I had high leak rates I started using a chinstrap and mouth tape. This has helped but I still have trouble keeping the mask on throughout the night (I wake up and have torn it off). 

I suspect may have positional apnea but am not sure. I know when I woke up gasping before the mask I was always laying flat on my back with my head on the pillow, I prefer to fall asleep on my side so Im obviously rolling onto my back. I have tried a neck roll but I kept waking up and ripping it off, I may need to try again. 

Posting 3 days readings from the past week in which I had the mask on for most of the night. Any and all advice welcome. 

I appreciate everyone's help on here and I appreciate this free software Oscar, this is amazing! It is criminal my doctor cannot provide me with information like this - but that is a whole other conversation.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: 7 Months in, Still Struggling, asking for any advice.
Welcome to the forum. Your charts offer a lot of insight into your therapy and settings, and as you maly have noted the events that you have are clustered, which makes us think of positional apnea. Some of us have a different take on what causes positional apnea, and we more often view it as a tucking of the chin that can occur in any sleep position. A couple wikis for your consideration are
Positional Apnea http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...onal_Apnea
Soft Cervical Collar http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...cal_Collar

Your pressure is set at 7.8 to 15 cm with no exhale pressure relief (EPR). You do have flow limitations that would likely be helped with some EPR, but a lot of flow limitation coincides with the clusters of events. With a very low FL, clustered events and higher FL during those events I think that definitely points to the positional apnea you suspected. A pretty significant leak rate on 4/21 is also possibly related to movement. Other than that everything looks pretty good. I think you would benefit from a gradual introduction of EPR in your settings. It will help with flow limits and hypopnea and should feel comfortable, but you don't want to increase CA events. Start with Full-Time at EPR 1 and add more while observing results and focusing on comfort. A soft cervical collar would stay with you better than a neck roll, and will help with both neck position/airway alignment as well as mask stability. A lot of members use a soft collar for a while and eventually find they no longer need it after they "train" their night sleeping position. I think with some minor tweaks you should be able to enjoy a lower event rate and more comfort pretty quickly.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad [Treatment] Struggling to treat UARS with BIPAP Humancyclone7 15 472 Yesterday, 12:40 PM
Last Post: Humancyclone7
  New car smell months later dkmk 4 263 04-15-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  OSCAR advice juniper 7 176 04-12-2024, 05:17 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  New to CPAP and struggling with my mask. jmswjunk4 2 87 04-11-2024, 10:21 AM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 52 2,544 04-06-2024, 01:23 PM
Last Post: akarifur
  [CPAP] Struggling with settings touwmus 0 110 04-01-2024, 05:17 PM
Last Post: touwmus
  New user looking for Advice NeedSleepnea 15 329 04-01-2024, 11:08 AM
Last Post: NeedSleepnea

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.