Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

A deep report on sleep treatment
RE: A deep report on sleep treatment
(10-05-2020, 01:19 PM)DaveL Wrote: ... Guess I'm a cranky old hoser! Found this forum...I'mnot cranky any more.

(Bladerunner the Samsung Galaxy Watch sounds interesting. My old Garmin HR watch gives sleep reports, but they're not very good. HR monitoring is good though. When I've checked it, my heart's still beating. Wink )

Dave
Sleep'n on it.

In my experience Canadians are generally nice but there has to be at least one cranky one, somewhere....   Rolleyes 

The Galaxy watch tracks HR, "Stress" (oxygen levels), sleep and exercise.   Seems to work well in my experience.

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for your kind words.

I an digging into as much as I can about these machines.

Rich

NEW REPORT:

Found what seemed to causing the weird air flow problems.

Dreamstation was going up and down with air flow or volume because the mask setting on OFF. I could not correctly operate with my mask.

I found it was a forgotten setting, and that my old machines were set for X2.

Setting the Dreamstation to X2 for the mask has seemly fixed the changing flow problem.

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
My latest finding is that I wish I had/have a good sleep doctor or could talk with a well-trained sleep tech. Sadly so far I have yet to find anyone whom really understand these complex machines.

I have had to figure out the operating systems of my sleep machines mainly by myself. AND unless I knew what questions to ask no one was able to help with two simple settings that could have caused those earlier failures with the machines.

The first one seems to be using the Backup Breath Rate on AUTO. It seems to cause a self-feeding downward spiral which may have cause the crazy behavior of my four machines.

I have found NO info on its use and best reasons to select using it and I think it was not the best setting.

It was suggested by my current sleep doctor's tech to turn it off and to then select a back up rate of 10 breaths and to then set to reaction time to 2 up for the default of 1.5. That seemed to help some with the flow rates.

The second was how I tried for a month to find out why my New Dream Station BiPap AutoSV (ASV) was all over the place with its AIR FLOW (Volume).

NO one ever suggested I check the Mask Setting.

It was OFF leaving the system to try to work out the correct setting on its own causing all the changes I was having problems with.

I have no idea where the idea of my checking this setting came from, but once I did I found the fix and the control to the amount of air flow or volume. Start with "setting one" gives a good low flow, and each higher setting gives a nice steady larger air flow. I now have control over the air volume.

I really wish for a full report on all the settings (Other that the instructions) as too what they really do and why one might want to select each setting.

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
Did you try the clinician manual that is available here? While posting questions here, although most all of us on AB are not doctors or trained sleep techs, we have a better grasp on actually setting machines because we use them ourselves. And our info, suggestions, and answering questions are basically free for posting the question. However, we are not obligated to do all the searching and research for you. You can Google about the manual you were wanting and find where it is. And as I recall, you were given free advice to try the ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV that has only 4 pressure settings and a mode setting of CPAP/ASV/ASVAuto. Having this ASV along with those selections and 3 easy mask choices of Pillows/Nasal/Full face, would have been easier on you regarding setup and better therapy as a bonus. It might have presented as an easier setup for you.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-21-2020, 12:11 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: Did you try the clinician manual that is available here? While posting questions here, although most all of us on AB are not doctors or trained sleep techs, we have a better grasp on actually setting machines because we use them ourselves. And our info, suggestions, and answering questions are basically free for posting the question. However, we are not obligated to do all the searching and research for you. You can Google about the manual you were wanting and find where it is. And as I recall, you were given free advice to try the ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV that has only 4 pressure settings and a mode setting of CPAP/ASV/ASVAuto. Having this ASV along with those selections and 3 easy mask choices of Pillows/Nasal/Full face, would have been easier on you regarding setup and better therapy as a bonus. It might have presented as an easier setup for you.

I have downloaded a bunch of manuals but missed the clinician manual , and just tried to find it again. No luck...

Can you please show me the way to it?

I am very aware we are peer to peer here and in most cases found the help here much better that all the doctors and techs I have talked with so far.

ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV Yes and IF I can find one under $600.00 I will try it.

As I know Phillips and other than their failures and unknown settings that have driven my to problems which now seem to know, I had already invested in a Dreamstation ASV.

My only test was a week with a Resmed apap and I could not stand it.

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
Also a clinician manual as I understand it will be about the testing during the titration operation. Of which I have agood short copy of for ASV systems.

Mainly how to read the systems reports and to spot the various reactions to the testing and treatments. 

I do not think such a manual will cover the Backup Breathing rate settings and the how and why of them nor will it concern its self with the settings for the masks unless they test different masks and in all of my testing after my first test I was allowed to bring my own mask.

As I have the first real report I know what happened, that I was tested without any system to see how bad I am/was, then tested on plain CPAP and then BiPap, then on ASV and that I have Complex Sleep Apnea with centrals caused by the use of CPAP.

I got a copy of the Clinician's report to the Doctor.

All the later tests were junk.

I easily get under 5 AHIs per 7/8 hours of sleep, and often under 2 and a far amount under 1. 

My Sleep Cycles are also very good.

And I do seem to be both getting better I am just trying to refine it to mostly under 2AHIs per night.

Now that I have found the last cause of problem with the Dreamstation I think I have all the answers I need, but I do lack any real understanding of these last discovered settings and why and how they should work.

As always I am trying to pay it forward by sharing my findings with the group.

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Gross [Treatment] Successful Treatment... Still Significant Struggle TiredTim 0 42 Yesterday, 07:01 PM
Last Post: TiredTim
  Help Interpreting Charts to ID Potential Palatal Prolapse - Deep Sleep Issue reedro287 5 99 03-26-2024, 08:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 211 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Are these centrals likely to be treatment induced? thesingingchef 2 118 03-21-2024, 12:36 AM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 161 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  New to CPAP - Could Use Some Help For Treatment chrotteg 8 278 03-10-2024, 05:51 PM
Last Post: chrotteg
  New user struggling with treatment bsroberts 0 196 03-04-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: bsroberts

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.