Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

A post for our newer members
A post for our newer members
I just wanted to make a post for our newer members that outside factors can effect your therapy as well as the mechanics we all deal with like pressure, mask fit, leaks etc... I have been doing really well with my therapy now that I am 2 months into it but the past 5-6 days have been hell for some reason I was unsure of? I was in between waiting for a medium F20 mask cushion to show up because of leaks with the large size, straps too tight causing issues as well....

These past 5 days I was waking up in the middle of the night feeling like I was drowning and taking the mask off right after my 4 hour compliance time and not feeling like I slept well at all. My AHI was 15.6!!! I also noticed that my machine had gone up to a max pressure of 18.5 cfm. My head felt like it was in a vise and my sinuses were severely blocked. I told my wife I felt like I had a sinus infection. Having some antibiotics still around from the last time I started treatment and within 2 days it was gone and last night for the first time in a week I slept great and kept the mask on for over 7 hours and had an AHI of 1.7!!!

So now looking back I must have been having flow rate issues because of my bad sinus blockage issues. Not sure if this will help anyone but I am very thankful I am back to being able to enjoy the therapy!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: A post for our newer members
Thanks for posting this, Janyn. It's a good reminder that all kinds of circumstances can affect our breathing at night, and that problem-solving is a great approach to take.
Post Reply Post Reply
Such a great reminder!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi, I am a first time user here.

The flow rate that you are talking about here is the CPAP pressure / air flow correct?

Are you using the auto CPAP?

I tought auto CPAP will adjust the flow rate depending on your breathing?
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-25-2019, 09:30 PM)mceffi Wrote: Hi, I am a first time user here.

The flow rate that you are talking about here is the CPAP pressure / air flow correct?

Pressure and flow are important concepts in CPAP therapy.  Flow is a volume per time function, like mL/second or Liters/Minute. Pressure is measured as cm-H2O.  Positive Air Pressure (PAP) therapy works by using pressure to keep tissues in the airway open to allow for free movement of air during inhale and exhale.  Pressure to inflate a ball, a tire, or a pool toy does not change (static pressure). It can be maintained for long periods with no flow or air additions.  Your airway is more dynamic, but the CPAP machine attempts to maintain constant pressure to keep the airway open, and it uses flow to manage that as you inhale and exhale.  Auto CPAP will increase or decrease pressure based on its programming and conditions measured by its flow and pressure sensors.  Flow increases during inhale to maintain airway pressure, and flow decreases during exhale so pressure does not increase as you exhale.  CPAP flow will increase to replace flow lost due to inspiration, intentional mask leak that vents CO2 and unintentional mask leak.  A large leak will cause a lot of flow to rush through the tube and mask as the machine tries to maintain pressure, but when there is no leak, the only flow is from the mask vent.  In simple CPAP terms, pressure is constant, flow is constant unless there is a leak.

The "flow-rate" we talk about in therapy is the respiratory flow which is not related to pressure.  Tidal volume is the volume of air expired in each respiration cycle in mL/second. We can multiply that by the number of breaths per minute (BPM) to calculate the minute vent in L/min, or the amount of air respired in a minute.  Pressure has nothing to do with respiratory flow other than it helps to keep the airway open and allows for normal breathing in people with airway obstruction at normal atmospheric pressure.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-25-2019, 09:53 PM)Sleeprider Wrote:
(12-25-2019, 09:30 PM)mceffi Wrote: Hi, I am a first time user here.

Pressure and flow are important concepts in CPAP therapy.  Flow is a volume per time function, like mL/second or Liters/Minute. Pressure is measured as cm-H2O.  Positive Air Pressure (PAP) therapy works by using pressure to keep tissues in the airway open to allow for free movement of air during inhale and exhale.  Pressure to inflate a ball, a tire, or a pool toy does not change (static pressure). It can be maintained for long periods with no flow or air additions.  Your airway is more dynamic, but the CPAP machine attempts to maintain constant pressure to keep the airway open, and it uses flow to manage that as you inhale and exhale.  Auto CPAP will increase or decrease pressure based on its programming and conditions measured by its flow and pressure sensors.  Flow increases during inhale to maintain airway pressure, and flow decreases during exhale so pressure does not increase as you exhale.  CPAP flow will increase to replace flow lost due to inspiration, intentional mask leak that vents CO2 and unintentional mask leak.  A large leak will cause a lot of flow to rush through the tube and mask as the machine tries to maintain pressure, but when there is no leak, the only flow is from the mask vent.  In simple CPAP terms, pressure is constant, flow is constant unless there is a leak.

The "flow-rate" we talk about in therapy is the respiratory flow which is not related to pressure.  Tidal volume is the volume of air expired in each respiration cycle in mL/second. We can multiply that by the number of breaths per minute (BPM) to calculate the minute vent in L/min, or the amount of air respired in a minute.  Pressure has nothing to do with respiratory flow other than it helps to keep the airway open and allows for normal breathing in people with airway obstruction at normal atmospheric pressure.

Good explanation  Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for that great explanation. Yes that is what I was referring too, I just wanted to let our newer folks know that external factor can and will effect your success and failure rates. I am learning as I go, and so many here have helped me, just trying to give back a little Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-28-2019, 01:01 AM)Janyn Wrote: Thank you for that great explanation. Yes that is what I was referring too, I just wanted to let our newer folks know that external factor can and will effect your success and failure rates. I am learning as I go, and so many here have helped me, just trying to give back a little Smile

Thank you
Post Reply Post Reply
Good post. We have problems with airflow and Co2 here, it's been dropping people pretty consistently.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] First Post - Can't stay asleep with CPAP DKane 7 117 Yesterday, 12:48 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Arrow Your Personal CPAP Success Story - Post Here SuperSleeper 1,364 625,852 03-24-2024, 07:19 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
Question [Diagnosis] First post-CPAP visit to Sleep Doc - What to talk about? FlyAU98 6 186 03-23-2024, 09:08 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Newer CPAP User, still snoring Warnick13 45 1,472 03-11-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: Warnick13
  r4robin - Therapy Thread (Help with BiLevel settings-post #5) r4robin 42 1,818 03-11-2024, 01:26 PM
Last Post: bertchintus
  First Post - Help with Settings Ideas jrudicel 3 169 03-10-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: jrudicel
  [Mod Note] Attention Advisory Members - Vote Now Sleeprider 1 283 02-27-2024, 04:11 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.