Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AEROPHAGIA (swallowing air)
AEROPHAGIA (swallowing air)
 Is there a way to prevent Aerophagia?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: AEROPHAGIA (swallowing air)
I think you'll find that folks here will want to see data from sleepyhead... but aerophagia can and is conquered by folks on this board.

Your profile says that you have a pressure of 20 which is high. It's possible that you don't need quite as much pressure from a therapy standpoint and you could (based on your data, not my opinion) lower your top-end pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply
Are you using EPR? If so, what setting? I started therapy with EPR at 2 and didn't have much, if any, aerophagia issues. I dropped EPR to 1 to try to address some central apneas and starting having significant aerophagia issues. I bumped EPR back to 2 and it went away. If you're having trouble exhaling over the pressure, raising the EPR might help with aerophagia.

Other common suggestions are to lower pressure (if it doesn't negatively affect your therapy), sleep in a raised position, avoid sleeping on your back, get digestion issues under control if you have them, and sleep with a tucked chin (and for others, making sure you're NOT sleeping with a tucked chin).

Good luck. The 3 or 4 nights I had bad aerophagia, it was terrible. I never dreamed so much air could some out of me from both ends.
Post Reply Post Reply
One other thought - you might consider narrowing the range between min and max pressure. 5-20 is significant, and big jumps in pressure could cause you to swallow air. You should post some SleepyHead data for the experts to comment on.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-30-2017, 09:43 AM)Esq. Wrote: Are you using EPR? If so, what setting? I started therapy with EPR at 2 and didn't have much, if any, aerophagia issues. I dropped EPR to 1 to try to address some central apneas and starting having significant aerophagia issues. I bumped EPR back to 2 and it went away. If you're having trouble exhaling over the pressure, raising the EPR might help with aerophagia.

Other common suggestions are to lower pressure (if it doesn't negatively affect your therapy), sleep in a raised position, avoid sleeping on your back, get digestion issues under control if you have them, and sleep with a tucked chin (and for others, making sure you're NOT sleeping with a tucked chin).

Good luck. The 3 or 4 nights I had bad aerophagia, it was terrible. I never dreamed so much air could some out of me from both ends.

Right now I am using EPR of 3 so that doesn't help. I just raised my pressure to (11-20)  to help with my numbers. It seems to help but getting a lot  of air in my tummy. I might try and raise my bed, that seems like the only thing I have not tried.I was told to sleep with a raised chin and that does help my numbers.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-30-2017, 09:46 AM)Esq. Wrote: One other thought - you might consider narrowing the range between min and max pressure. 5-20 is significant, and big jumps in pressure could cause you to swallow air. You should post some SleepyHead data for the experts to comment on.

I just raised the min number to 11 to help with my numbers and that seems to be helping.

The first two hours my pressure stays between 11 and 13 but after I go to the bathroom and than lay on my left side it does a big jump.

Could laying on my left side cause this jump?
Post Reply Post Reply
http://imgur.com/a/tERrX
Post Reply Post Reply
Right after the 5AM wakeup it looks like you went into mouth breathing.  Does this happen frequently?

Shrink the height of your graphs (grab the bottom edge of a chart and drag up to vertically compress each chart, and add the Pressure graph.

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
http://imgur.com/a/OGxm1
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-30-2017, 05:01 PM)bonjour Wrote: Right after the 5AM wakeup it looks like you went into mouth breathing.  Does this happen frequently?

Shrink the height of your graphs (grab the bottom edge of a chart and drag up to vertically compress each chart, and add the Pressure graph.

Fred

What is the sign that I went into mouth breathing?  I took my neck brace off at that time.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  help... Suspicous Flow Rate and Flow Limitations, bothersome Aerophagia Barefooter64 15 726 Yesterday, 12:37 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Aerophagia Help - I've tried everything soozgrrl 2 86 04-15-2024, 03:48 PM
Last Post: soozgrrl
Gross Aerophagia Pressure Help! ToddAO 2 132 04-07-2024, 10:31 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  New to CPAP, awful aerophagia callamar75 24 836 03-25-2024, 11:26 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  4 months in - Do I have to live with aerophagia? RedNailz 18 1,746 03-09-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: RedNailz
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 324 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
Sad [Treatment] UARS with Aerophagia and a High Leak Rate, what next? Adam0410 9 460 02-14-2024, 10:01 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.