Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AHI and Other Stats
RE: AHI and Other Stats
(01-30-2021, 10:54 AM)Jeremy H Wrote: Once again, should have checked out you guy's before, thanks for your reply's and helping me out.

At least you found us. We're glad to help if we can. Keep us updated on how you doing after raising pressure.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Working with what you have, there are two suggestions for making a big difference in your therapy.
1. increase your CPAP pressure to 8.0. This level of pressure just works for the majority of users and should improve your results.
2. Try Flonase (fluticasone propionate), 2x per day for 3 days, then 1x per day for the next two weeks. Sometimes what you perceive as a palatal prolapse or epiglottis blockage is common post-nasal drip. You may not even be aware of it. I had the same problem during exhale where air movement just stopped. The Flonase worked more me and it's worth a try before you do something more drastic.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I increased pressure to 5.5 last night, it worked well. I'm going to up it .5% per night. My AHI was lower. Sleeping deeper and longer, but still feel 'weird'. Think it takes time to adjust.
Post Reply Post Reply
A gradual increase of pressure and observing results is the basic principle of titration. At some point you will reach a point of diminishing returns, and the trick is to keep a log so you can identify at what pressure you begin to observe that, so you can back off to the most recent lower pressure.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
AHI is lower at higher pressure settings, but I do not get a more restful sleep from it. Maybe to soon to tell. I lowered the pressure back last night to 5.5 from 6.5 and slept better in that I woke up feeling more rested and a clearer head.
Not so sure about what the stats say.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think you have a combination of things going on, having a chronic congestion issue and just simply being new to this doesn't make for a good nights sleep.  It does take time to adapt to the pressure and wearing a mask.  
It's just not normal having something on your face all night. Rolleyes We've all been there, and it takes some time.

What are your doing about your congestion?  Is anything helping that has been suggested?

If you can work you way up slowly to a higher pressure and leave it there for at least a week, you may find it easier to adapt.  If you raise and lower the pressure every other day, you will find it harder.  And know that every night can be different.  AHI can and will vary night to night, depending on so many things... like congestion, illness, pain, restless sleep, etc.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for your quick reply. I have been using cpap 25 years actually. The congestion I mentioned before was just that 1 particular night. It  feels odd having so  much pressure coming in. I do wake up several times a night. Reading how so many people struggle with pressure settings here even years after starting therapy, makes me think maybe there is only so much a cpap 'well' be able to do for you. Maybe like you said there is a point of diminishing returns and finding that 1 pressure that can do 'what can only be done' really, is the trick.

The older system one unit I had worked for years at a setting of about 5 or so. It was damaged by the (William Shatner "Captain Kirk" cleaning machine). The ozone destroyed it and also caused weird skipping heart beats.
That's another story.

I'm really tired of waking up on Mars. Feeling like I'm lost mentally. Yesterday was really bad, could not do much with my day at all. Think I'm going to not worry about 'stats' so much, but if my brain is clear and focused when I wake up. Really, thanks for your help man, I've learned a lot here.
Post Reply Post Reply
What happened to me was my AHI went up when I didn't set my humidifier to auto adjust. I had it on manual, and my nose became stuffy at night, and breathing became difficult. So, I advise try the humidifier setting. I think I have similar issue and was recently diagnosed with LPR, or silent reflux. I was prescribed Flonase, but I think this humidifier setting resolved it for me.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Update on Stats After Constant Use of Knightsbridge Chin Strap cmpman1974 6 369 03-01-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  5 years and never looked at the stats, need advice StephenB 5 347 02-08-2024, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
Question [CPAP] Oura Ring Sleep Stats with CPAP FooMan 2 1,151 01-13-2024, 07:34 PM
Last Post: Chask
  OSCAR - computing stats for subsection of night confinedmind 6 417 01-07-2024, 01:43 AM
Last Post: paulag1955
  Your thoughts on my stats Brennie 60 2,508 12-30-2023, 09:03 PM
Last Post: Brennie
  oscar stats-need help teamarliss 2 395 12-07-2023, 04:07 PM
Last Post: teamarliss
  Wisp stats mousetrap 6 3,554 09-08-2023, 10:27 PM
Last Post: Lucky7

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.