Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AHI or SPO2
AHI or SPO2

I have been on cpap for 6 or so years, mostly good. Three months ago i had surgery to correct severe deviated septum.  For the past month or two my AHI has been less than 1.    I started wondering if maybe i could get off cpap.  BUT then i remembered i have a recording oxymeter.  So last night i was on cpap as normal and had an AHI this morning of .4  I was happy with that but when i looked at spo2 it looked like the pic i am uploading.  Doesn't look so good.  So what would you conclude from great ahi and spo2 that looks like this?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: AHI or SPO2
AHI of 0.4 is an avarage. Meaning you could very well have ahi over 30 during eg. a 20 min period and then nothing for the rest of the night. Alternatively you could have seldom obstructive events through the night but serious enough to cause O2%sat drop to 80% . There's also the possibility that you can have many under <10s events, those don't get registered by default because you need to set a custom event marker in Oscar to also have them qualified.

I think the bolded option is your culprit. Post some charts.
Post Reply Post Reply

I'm not  very adept at Sleepyhead, but i used it this time since it imports spo2.  I'm not sure how to get SH to show all the right graphs.  It shows my AHI is .13 but it is all hypopnea.  I usually have little or no obstructive apnea especially since my deviated septum surgery.  The sleephead chart coincides with the SPO2 chart i posted earlier.  Also i notice the spo2 graphs are not in line with the rest of the graphs.  I did something wrong when importing spo2.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi drgrimes, could you do a couple of things and then repost your chart so the experts can take a look? First, go into Preferences and turn off the pie chart. Then click the little triangle to turn off the calendar. Finally, show the following stacked on top of each other: events, flow rate, pressure, O2, flow limitations, snores. You may need to squish them a little to fit them in. You can do this by grabbing the gray horizontal line that separates one chart from another.
Post Reply Post Reply
1am and 3am looks like it could use more min pressure. Sometimes there is a spike in the chart as the sensor moves on the finger. You really need the tidal volume and flow chart, to see if they correspond to an event. As suggested in wiki at the top of the page are suggestions on how to lay out the chart.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply

Dormeo thanks for your response.  I switched from SleepyHead to Oscar, is that OK?  I got it arranged as per your instructions.  As you can see I did not get SPO2 in sync with the rest of the graphs.  Something confusing the way it is worded.

Ajack are you saying set min at 8 and max at 20?

How do i get the spo2 to align correctly with rest of charts? I'm confused about whether to set a time when it started or let it sync to a session. Obviously i clicked the wrong thing.
Post Reply Post Reply
You have a few options, moving the min to 8 is one and probably a good start, till you get your head around things. At this stage there is no need to raise the max pressure, as long as it is set above the oscar max. My signature is just to get into the ballpark with settings.

Then I would check the nasal mask for leaks or mouth breathing. The tidal volume is a bit low.
Then I would consider increasing my epr from 1 to 3. This will give the easiest to breathe and perhaps increase the tidal volume a bit. You could also add 2 to the min pressure, to keep it even. Or make the adjustments to min pressure afterwards, going by the oscar charts.
For o2, you increase min pressure, sometimes you need to use the 95% pressure or above. So there is a lot of adjustments left you can make.

If you start recording when you start your apap, it makes it easier to sync. It's also not an issue using the contec chart.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
Good job on the charts, and Oscar is ideal. I hope the changes ajack is recommending will help you. Keep us posted.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ajack, made your suggested changes.  Min=8, EPR=3.  What does EPR do?  As far as mask leaks, i have struggled with that for years.  I've learned to live with some amount of leak.  If i tighten to eliminate leaks, i wake with grooves in face and nose and very sore.  I guess for all of us, it's a degree of compromise.  I move about when i sleep and any movement of the hose makes leaks.  I am in the process of getting the new mask from Resmed which has the hose on top of the head.  Maybe that will be better.  I have tried almost every mask made.  I keep looking for the perfect one but have not found it

Pardon me for not just looking up "EPR". Ok now i know what it does, but does changing from 1 to 3 make it easier or harder to exhale?
Post Reply Post Reply
EPR is expiratory pressure relief - it results in a lower pressure when you exhale, making it easier to get used to therapy. In other words, if the pressure was at 10 for inhale, you would only be exhaling against a pressure of 7.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  SPO2 still falling with CPAP freedom yayy 12 388 03-07-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: freedom yayy
  Help on analysing SpO2 drops a21900 9 826 03-02-2024, 12:33 AM
Last Post: Per Laursen
Question Low AHI for years but tired and low SpO2 spikes down to 85%. Brain MRI abnormal MyronH 4 677 02-25-2024, 11:33 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
Question [Equipment] Apnea index, blood pressure, pulse and SpO2 stier52r043 0 228 02-25-2024, 11:49 AM
Last Post: stier52r043
  TechieHippie's story: "mild" apnea but clusters of SpO2 drops TechieHippie 17 1,052 02-12-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Movement and spO2 drops newtothis123 3 440 10-06-2023, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Old Mike
  Low daytime SPO2 and fatigue vpsdub 30 3,067 09-28-2023, 01:49 AM
Last Post: vpsdub

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.