Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AHI or SPO2
RE: AHI or SPO2
Sleeprider, do you know of a good resource explaining how to apply PEEP to CPAP/BPAP for the purpose of raising SpO2? I looked at the wiki page on PEEP and there wasn't a lot of info. I guess I'm looking for guidelines and warnings, etc.
Post Reply Post Reply
Does this help, or need more?
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK441904/
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'd only add that if they were co2 retainers and lived in 88-92% in an awake state. You would still target to be above 90%.
drgrimes said 15 and set by the provider, the script may have been through a titration, He didn't like it and lowered it. It's possible he needs the 15cm for o2. If he asks for the sleep study, it will show what they did. For now it's just increasing min pressure, that he is happy to do and using the spo2 meter to justify it. The spo2 meter have a +/-2% accuracy. So you don't take the number as gospel. I just use what appears to be a good average and see if the lows can be bought up to this. On page 1, 93-95% seems like what was the good average o2 level for this night, with large sections below this. The doctor would be the person you would talk with about the accuracy, perhaps do a comparison with his spo2 and any need for further testing, if in doubt.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleeprider, thanks for the advice.  I will give it a try and see what happens.  In the past with higher pressures i experienced much larger leaks.  If i tighten my nose gear more, i wake with  painful ridges on my face and nose.  But I have a new nasal pillow mask so maybe it will be ok.  Regardless I will give it a try.  I think we all are searching for a better way.
Post Reply Post Reply

WELL  you guys must be on the right track.  I made the changes last night and significant improvements on O2 and my AHI was .4   WOW i am impressed.  I think i am starting to understand why it works. 

As far as having any meaningful discussion with sleep doctor.  I've never seen her, cannot get in to see her.  I've only been able to talk with her technicians who are not especially helpful.  I've been told she does not like it when patients get into their own data or make changes.  In the beginning when i was having such a hard time, I told the technician about it and she said, "well you don't have to use it."  The guys at the DME shop helped me through that disaster.

All the more reason for this forum.  I have learned more here ten times over than from the sleep study that was done on me.  I don't think i ever actually went to sleep.  I felt like i was suffocating the whole time.

SleepRider after reading that article that you linked to, I now can see that with some increase in pressure, the pipes will remain more open all the time allowing for more oxygen exchange. It's pretty technical but it does make sense and my results seem to prove it. I think there is a point of diminishing benefit with higher pressures. When i was at a flat 15 i felt like i couldn't exhale especially as i fell asleep. I seem to be a shallow breather especially when asleep (hiypopnea?). Also the biggest problem for me at higher pressure was mask leakage.

By the way THANK YOU, THANK YOU for this amazing advice!!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  should I raise my CPAP pressure if 3AM spo2 is loow RichardW 13 319 04-16-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: RichardW
Question [Equipment] How does the CSV extract from Wellue SpO2 ring look like? Ayush Shrivastava 2 152 04-05-2024, 09:50 AM
Last Post: Ayush Shrivastava
  Going it alone-help me with my settings and SpO2 desats Papgirl 4 254 03-31-2024, 06:25 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  SPO2 still falling with CPAP freedom yayy 12 534 03-07-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: freedom yayy
  Help on analysing SpO2 drops a21900 9 889 03-02-2024, 12:33 AM
Last Post: Per Laursen
Question Low AHI for years but tired and low SpO2 spikes down to 85%. Brain MRI abnormal MyronH 4 754 02-25-2024, 11:33 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
Question [Equipment] Apnea index, blood pressure, pulse and SpO2 stier52r043 0 273 02-25-2024, 11:49 AM
Last Post: stier52r043

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.