Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ANYONE HAVE ANY INPUT REGARDING AIRLIFT SYSTEM
ANYONE HAVE ANY INPUT REGARDING AIRLIFT SYSTEM
Just getting my ducks in a row.....

Anyone know anything about this:  AIRLIFT

Thanks,
Plmnb
Huhsign  WARNING: It may take a while to sink in...I tend to get befuddled at times.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ANYONE HAVE ANY INPUT REGARDING AIRLIFT SYSTEM
Interesting procedure, discussed here https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5683656/
Near the bottom of the article patient outcomes are summarized in Table 2 that do not seem very impressive with a pre and post surgical result of 39.7v s 22.6 AHI. That would not be very compelling to me, and these patients will continue to need CPAP to get relief.  A patient cohort with severe OSA (Table 3) is discussed and their results are summarized  in Figure 2. You can see results are highly variable.  I guess if I was patient 7, 6, 5 or 2, I'd be pretty happy, not so much for the others, especially patient 4.  So this seems to be a less invasive way of achieving a similar 50% efficacy rate as the former more invasive surgery.  It is reversible and seems far preferable to conventional UPPP surgery.

[Image: gr2.jpg]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The sample size was so small (n= 19) with no controls for body habitus and comorbidities as to make this study more anecdotal than statistically relevant.

The revelation that there were auxiliary procedures ("Concurrent procedures included the following: torus mandibularis excision (n = 1), endoscopic sinus surgery (n = 4), septoplasty (n = 10), inferior turbinate reduction (n = 12), and nasal valve repair (n = 2)." clouds the issue.

The study's conclusion "HMS without palatal or tongue base sleep surgery improves OSA severity. It can be considered as a valid option in the treatment of OSA in appropriately-selected patients." is tantamount to saying "you pays your money and you takes your chances."

It wouldn't hurt to ask the manufacturer for a list of research studies and physicians with the largest number of completed procedures before making any decision. I would review the outcomes and then ask my physician to consult with one of the best performing doctors.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
This procedure and the literature supporting it seem like so many others that have come and gone:
  • Extravagant claims that "you can throw your CPAP away" - unsupported by the evidence.
  • Tiny sample sizes
  • Huge error bars and variability in the data
  • Inability to demonstrate a clinically "treated" AHI < 5.

Personally I would not for a moment consider undergoing this type of surgery based on the evidence supplied. On the basis of the studies it's highly likely that you would go through an invasive and likely very painful procedure and still have high AHI and still have to use CPAP.
Post Reply Post Reply
After reviewing all your input I believe this would be my very last choice.  Having gone through an unsuccessful uvulaectomy, I just am too tired to check the spelling, I don’t want to explore this procedure any further at this time.

Back to trying to get my Bipap to work for me.

Plmnb
Huhsign  WARNING: It may take a while to sink in...I tend to get befuddled at times.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm 65 yrs. old and have gone my entire life w/o having to have something implanted in me, other than some SS rod to repair a broken right collar-bone many years ago from racing off-road motorcycles. 

Oh yeah, and I had my right knee totally replaced in Nov. of 2016. Other than those, I have been fortunate. My left knee is a situation waiting to happen. I figure I still have a few years left of service from it. 

But, when it comes to elective surgery, there's a 99% chance I'll take a pass. Surgical implants to cure a sleep apnea issue isn't going to happen for me.  Oh-jeez
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello Big Guy,

I'm curious, how is your sleep and therapy going?  I definitely don't want an elective surgery either, but this horrid lack of a good night sleep is killing me, so to speak.

Respectfully,
Plmnb
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello Plmnb,

My sleep therapy is going "okay". No real issues or problems. But, it's been 15 months now, and I'm still waiting for it to kick in. 

My sleep doc seems to be pleased with the results and tells me to give it more time. I'm wondering just how bad mine is, and if all this is really necessary.....at this stage in my life. 

I don't fall asleep unexpectedly and / or uncontrollably. I worked rotating shifts for 30 yrs. A majority of those being the midnight shift. No problems staying awake. 

I'm very aware that some have symptoms much worse than I do. I can see and do understand if can be a very real health issue. But for me, it hasn't presented itself that way. 

I'm committed to giving the therapy two years. That will be in early Sept. of 2020. If I don't see or feel an appreciable difference, there's a very good chance I will discontinue it. I sleep fine w/o using my CPAP. Seems as of late, I'm having air leakage issues that wake me several times a night, and I have to readjust my mask. 

I'm more than ready for the SA therapy to make me feel better. I'm waiting............ Eat-popcorn
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,964 362,502 04-18-2024, 02:17 PM
Last Post: btreger
  Resmed Heating System Errors btreger 0 150 04-05-2024, 01:20 PM
Last Post: btreger
  Inspire system JThammer 15 426 04-04-2024, 11:59 AM
Last Post: cdplatt
  Airsense 11. Heating system error Jskier 6 7,220 03-30-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: Ron LI
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,926 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 496 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc
  High Pressures - Inflammation of the CV system? MrIvanDrago 5 376 03-05-2024, 07:14 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.