Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

APAP Weirdness After Weight Loss
APAP Weirdness After Weight Loss
Hello everyone, it's my first time here.

I have successfully used CPAP since January 2021 and my perfect setup with my Resmed Autoset was:

8cm minimum, 15cm maximum as it never went above 9.2 - 9.4cm. EPR 3. Response standard.

My AHI was 0.1 - 0.3 consistently since I started.

However then I lost weight and kept being woke up many times each night for unknown reasons and often sweating. This went on for months until I realised my weight loss (185lbs to 165lbs) may mean I require a lower pressure.

So low and behold, a minimum pressure of 6cm seemed to work and it never went above 7cm with AHI of 0.1 consistently, however I was still being disturbed many times each night and waking up for unknown reasons. Again often sweating.

All I could see is Oscar was 1 or 2 events each night where my pressure needed 6.7 - 7cm briefly before falling back to 6cm for the rest of the night.

I wondered if I even needed CPAP anymore so tried without, what a mistake that was after a week of no CPAP!

I thought what the hell, maybe 6cm - 7cm isn't actually enough despite what the Resmed thinks (I'd find myself waking semi consciously sometimes feeling like I couldn't breath before the pressure kicked in and I fall back to sleep) so I put my minimum back to 8cm and it still likes to climb to 9.2 - 9.4cm despite a pressure of 6cm - 7cm seemingly treating me well now accordingly to the Resmed after weight loss!

What the fuark is going on? Am I having events that the algorithm isn't picking up on? My original WatchPAT showed AHI 7 and RDI 15, so could this be some UARS trickery? I'm not actually cured at 6cm - 7cm, and perhaps I'm not even cured at 8 -  9.2 or so anymore either? Do I need even more pressure now for some weird bloody reason? My tonsils are no longer pronounced now I've lost the weight, is the changing airways due to weight loss actually causing me more problems now?

In a desperate attempt to resolve it on the assumption I'm not being treated properly and weight loss has changed everything, I have bought an Aircurve so I can bang the pressure up to 10cm or above and still retain a comfortable exhalation pressure, as I get aerophagia and severe discomfort if EPR isn't on or if I try to use 10cm on my Resmed Autoset.

I'm at a complete loss and I'm very tired, and sick of waking up covered in sweat.

When I don't use my CPAP I wake up in sweat and my heart thumping. Now I wake up sweating with CPAP but without my heart thumping.

I don't feel like I'm being treated and the Resmed is not doing it's job.

I have no trouble with the mask or leaks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: APAP Weirdness After Weight Loss
Apnea23, Welcome

It would help if you posted a screenshot of your Daily tab. For Windows F12, for Mac fn+F12, or from the menu bar View > Take Screenshot
There are links in my signature for organizing your charts and also for attaching screenshots to a post.
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching screenshots and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-11-2023, 10:56 AM)Jeff8356 Wrote: Apnea23,  Welcome

It would help if you posted a screenshot of your Daily tab.  For Windows F12, for Mac fn+F12, or from the menu bar View > Take Screenshot
There are links in my signature for organizing your charts and also for attaching screenshots to a post.

Hi Jeff,

I'll get some data over next week as I need to be at the office to use Oscar.

Thank you,
Peter
Post Reply Post Reply
Be sure you have an SD card in your Cpap while sleeping, or you will only receive summary data.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  weight loss meds with cpap ButtonNoseBarbie 3 155 03-25-2024, 11:23 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 88 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Treatment] Lost weight, no doc, can't get my settings right... japesinjapan 9 276 03-21-2024, 01:52 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 372 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 10 576 03-18-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460
  APAP optimization assistance jayed53 9 439 03-14-2024, 03:13 PM
Last Post: jayed53
  srwilsn3's therapy thread | APAP -> BiPAP srwilsn3 34 1,424 03-14-2024, 02:23 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.