Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

APNEAS AND LEAKS ARE SKYROCKETING!
APNEAS AND LEAKS ARE SKYROCKETING!
Hi - iIhaven't posted anything on here since last october 2019 but feel like i need some advice now.

I'm 65 and was diagnosed with OSA about 11 years ago and am 100% compliant with CPAP use. My numbers have gone up and down over all this time and I have posted my oscar data from time to time to get help. I still use the Phillips Respironics system one Remstar Pro Flex+ machine which i've had since early 2015.

I have had some health issues of late - like a bout of acute diverticulitis and recent discovery of a pancreatic cyst, along with my current copd, respiratory problems and irregular heart beat and gerd etc. Lots of health problems weighing on my mind! 

Now With this new covid 19 virus i'm wondering if the extreme added stress (staying in and isolating myself from the outside world and not seeing family, grandkids etc.) Could maybe have an impact on the numbers i am seeing this past week or 2 on my machine. My leaks are now constantly from around 39 and as high as 61 every night and my apneas stay in the 13-18 range with my mask use every night! Am I in the same boat as everyone else having more difficulty with cpap therapy not helping during these trying times in our country or should I be doing something different? I can't even get in to see my doctors (pulmonary or sleep medicine doctors) during this pandemic so I guess I'm pretty much doomed to not having a solution or new equipment or supplies.

Any advice or help would be appreciated. If needed I can put up data from my last few nights when I have more time later today. Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: APNEAS AND LEAKS ARE SKYROCKETING!
Please don't post internet message all caps. It's hard to read, and generally considered rude (it's a convention that is equivalent to yelling).
Caveats: I'm just a patient, with no medical training.
Post Reply Post Reply
Jennie I have reformatted your post to make it readable. As Slowriter said, please don't post internet message all caps. It's hard to read, and generally considered rude (it's equivalent to shouting).

We're all living under a lot more stress at the moment, and we need to be creative with our use of time. Please post a daily screenshot from OSCAR and we'll see if we can offer some creative suggestions. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply

Last night's data, adding to today's post...
Post Reply Post Reply
Jennie, your problem is shared by many of our members, and there is an easy solution. Your apnea are very clustered showing us this is a positional apnea issue related to chin tucking. A high percentage of members have found the use of a soft cervical collar to maintain the chin and head position to align the airway can achieve AHI less than 1. Please read the Soft Cervical Collar wiki in my signature links. We wrote that wiki because this is such a common problem and so many have achieved success easily. Some eventually don't need the collar as they train to align the head and neck. The secret is to find an appropriate height and comfortable somewhat loose fit to keep the chin from tucking.

You might also want to think about what changed when your events started increasing. A new pillow, change in sleeping position, many issues could create this problem. Here is the link http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...cal_Collar
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-20-2020, 07:47 AM)jennie54 Wrote: Data from 3-17-2020 for comparison also attached...

Last night's data, adding to today's post...
Post Reply Post Reply
Jennie as I said above, you need a soft cervical collar. You have massive large leaks going on and you probably need a new mask or a change in model to better fit your face. Also, read the wiki on how to organize your OSCAR charts. http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ganization We need only one chart, but it should contain Events, Flow Rate, Pressure, Leaks and Snore.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Jennie, we have told you many times about using a collar - are you using it? If you don't take our advice about your sleeping position we can't help you.

I'm sorry to be blunt, but you've been coming to Apnea Board since 2015 and there is always some reason you won't take our advice. Do you really want help? Or do you just want some place to vent? Because if you really want help, please read what Sleeprider has written and act on it.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 26 558 1 hour ago
Last Post: p4ncaketim
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 6 284 03-26-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: psinderbrand
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Fixing (CPAP-induced?) central apneas Franko39 17 858 03-21-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: Franko39
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 2 138 03-19-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  [Treatment] Having several Unclassified Apneas.... meatheadmd 7 305 03-19-2024, 07:54 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Concerned about large leaks sleepingbetterinFl 5 160 03-14-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.