Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ASV and masks
ASV and masks
Can you use nasal pillows with an ASV? 

I’ve only used airfit f20 full mask and I’m wanting to try something different. So I was wondering if nasal pillows are an option with ASV.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ASV and masks
Why not? If it was me I'd use my P10 pi)ow mask
Post Reply Post Reply
I came across a Reddit thread with a RRT saying ASV users have to use full mask which confused me. Would it depend on pressure being too high?
Post Reply Post Reply
Kind of old-school thinking by people that have never used the therapy. We have seen nasal masks and nasal pillows work for ASV and bilevel users on this forum at very high pressures. The transition from EPAP to IPAP in bilevel tends to inflate a mask, and in my experience, this is almost unnoticeable with nasal pillows, but a full face mask tends to bounce around and is very disruptive in those transitions. In my experience, the FFM is far more likely to leak and to be disruptive to sleep than the smaller nasal pillows. I have no idea what makes the people that write this crap think that a bigger mask is more resilient to leaks, but they clearly never actually used the therapy or mask options.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, Sleeprider!  I agree with you and all that makes sense to me.
Gideon, I ordered the pillows you suggested and can’t wait to give it a try.
Post Reply Post Reply
When I had my sleep study the clinician told me pillows where the best option for my sinuses and said my nose was essentially squishy . I had issues keeping the mouth shut and disliked the pressure in my mouth . I tried a full face , my sinuses and nasal passages close up . My pressures would shoot up to 16 to 17 . now i figured out pillows and can run 10 to 12 on most nights . Deff try the pillows out
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you! This is promising. I’ve tried it 3 nights now and so far it’s good.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am using a Philps DreamWear Frame with a ResMed AirCurv10 ASV.  They have been great together.  I do like the DreamWear Silicone Pillow a lot.  It's very gentle and directs the pressure into my nose. 

All the best,

Sam
Post Reply Post Reply
So far the P10 is so much better in every way. I can’t believe I get no leaks and can move around with ease. 
I was wondering if you have advice and thoughts about what I’ve experienced the last two mornings. So after 4 hours or so I wake and struggle to go back to sleep. I notice that I keep jutting my jaw forward and slightly open, placing my teeth right behind my front. It feels like it’s pulling my tongue down enough so that when I doze off air bursts out of my mouth and this just repeats until I take the mask off. I find it’s odd that it doesn’t happen the first several hours of sleep.  It’s like I nose breathe first half of night and turn into a mouth breather the last half or something. I plan on getting some tape today and hopefully it helps.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't know. Maybe try rolling onto your side and pull a corner of the pillow between your shoulder and jaw for more support against the air pressure. I find it helps me from time to time.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Custom-Fitted Masks? TonyBoBony 5 345 03-01-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: TonyBoBony
  Switched masks and adjustment period sleepingbetterinFl 1 220 01-21-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
Question Are there alternative straps out there for masks that does not slide off? hejohoo 4 410 01-20-2024, 11:51 PM
Last Post: paulag1955
  Other masks to try? acordeon 5 496 01-01-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: Expat31
  [Equipment] 12 months of therapy. Tried several masks/nothing working Tiredkiwi 5 492 12-30-2023, 11:15 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Why different pressures with different masks Dawei 6 423 12-29-2023, 03:08 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Resmed masks with magnets and coronary stents stillaliveca 0 455 12-19-2023, 10:12 PM
Last Post: stillaliveca

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.