Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ASV first steps
ASV first steps
I've only had my ASV machine for a couple of days. My Central Apnea events have completely disappeared. In fact my AHI number has gone from 46.1 down to 0.1, so that is wonderful.

I have one problem that I need help with though. I feel as though I am suffocating during my therapy. It is as though someone has placed a blanket over my face. I can still breath in and out, but it takes effort. I'm hoping that there is some pressure setting that I can adjust that will mitigate this, while at the same time NOT affecting my AHI number.

My equipment is as follows:
  • ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV
  • Philips Respironics Dream Wisp Nasal Mask
These are my current ASV settings:
  • No Ramp
  • EPAP Min 4
  • EPAP Max 15
  • PS Min 4
  • PS Max 15
  • ASVAuto

My humidifier is set at 4
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ASV first steps
Croweater, that is great that your got the machine you need and therapy has been so successful so far. As far as the feeling of suffocation, I think you could try a trick many users have employed when the machine gets out of sync. Just blow back or exhale hard to reset the sync. It usually works. I'm curious if you have ever tried other PS Min settings?

Hope you will post a chart, then we can see how active the machine is. Also, if the feeling of suffocation happens again, if you can pull the mask away to create an intentional leak, that will help you to spot when that occurred on your OSCAR chart, We can then perhaps find a cause or condition that leads to the problem.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Croweater,

Can we get a screenshot of an OSCAR chart to see what's going on? Despite not seeing that, it appears your EPAP Min is too low for most adults. Yours is at the absolute minimum at 4, I'd tentatively say 6 at least. But again, let's see a chart to be sure. Follow the OSCAR charts setup suggestion below the thread.

FWIW your pressure settings will only include EPAP Min and Max and PS Min and Max, so it's not overly complicated to manipulate a bit as needed.

PS I didn't mention blowback because it's sounding to me to be low pressure air starvation.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have changed the EPAP Min to 6. I will sleep with that adjustment tonight and post my OSCAR results tomorrow.

Thanks All
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-22-2019, 04:07 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: Hi Croweater,

Despite not seeing that, it appears your EPAP Min is too low for most adults. Yours is at the absolute minimum at 4, I'd tentatively say 6 at least. But again, let's see a chart to be sure. Follow the OSCAR charts setup suggestion below the thread.

I agree.   

WillSleep

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I decided to show my OSCAR data from last night. I will show it tomorrow as well with the EPAP Min changed to 6

Post Reply Post Reply
Mostly good numbers but that bit of FL. Let's see how your next one looks. Note what disrupts you or areas of discomfort next time as well. How you feel and building consistency is important. Best to your success.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-22-2019, 04:51 PM)Croweater Wrote: I decided to show my OSCAR data from last night. I will show it tomorrow as well with the EPAP Min changed to 6

Cool.  

On the chart you post on Saturday ....

You are not struggling with Snores so can drop that chart down off the screenshot.

You are working on increasing airflow so would be good if you can squeeze the "Minute Vent." and "Resp. Rate" charts into the screenshot.

WillSleep

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-23-2019, 12:37 AM)WillSleep Wrote: On the chart you post on Saturday ....

You are not struggling with Snores so can drop that chart down off the screenshot.

You are working on increasing airflow so would be good if you can squeeze the "Minute Vent." and "Resp. Rate" charts into the screenshot.

WillSleep

OSCAR data from last night didn't appear on the SD card. Not sure what I may have done wrong.

I did feel more comfortable breathing with EPAP Min set to 6. I want to bump it up to 7 and post results tomorrow
Post Reply Post Reply
Check your SD card lock slider to ensure it's not locked when inserting it into your ASV. Check to see if it's properly seated in the card slot as well.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Quick question about 'next steps' - Crummy doctor - CSA maineiac 3 538 07-10-2023, 06:17 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Had a Lofta test and need help with next steps possible CA TDogg501 1 494 04-25-2023, 08:52 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Help Interpreting OSCAR Data and Next Steps cpapish 5 656 01-03-2023, 10:53 AM
Last Post: cpapish
  Just had sleep study review and confused about next steps turbopenguin 6 821 10-27-2022, 07:49 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Sanity check on next steps (still tired) TSomm 76 7,011 02-06-2022, 11:52 AM
Last Post: TSomm
  [Diagnosis] What should my next steps be? Pet0r 16 1,623 09-29-2020, 02:42 PM
Last Post: becker44a
  Suspected UARS - Question Re Next Steps theclient1437 27 3,584 05-06-2020, 12:17 PM
Last Post: slowriter

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.