Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Palatal prolapse?
Palatal prolapse?
I posted once before about the flow limitation I'm seeing. Since then, I've been increasing the pressure incrementally to see if that helps. The changes I've made over time are:
  • I started with a pressure range of 4-15
  • I was having a lot of Clear Airway events so I turned off the EPR
  • After turning off the EPR I was having more aerophagia, turned the EPR back on and gradually bumped it back up to 3
  • I haven't been having as many clear airways but it seems mask dependent and I keep changing masks out of frustration with leaks and noise - Dreamwear (very noisy, fewest leaks), n30 (comfortable but leaks), F&P Brevida (leaks after a couple of uses)
  • I'm having a lot of flow limitation every night
  • After posting here, I got some advice to increase the min and max pressure and I have been doing that
  • I noticed what looks like a palatal prolapse pattern, which I hadn't recognized before but seems to have been present for some time, if not the whole time
  • I continue to have issues with aerophagia but less with the Dreamwear mask. I use a cervical collar to keep my mouth closed. Have used chin strap and mouth tape in the past.
  • I often have low event counts and higher event counts with the same settings, same mask
  • Even with low events I wake up a lot, am often awake for around 90 minutes, feel terrible the next day
After reading about Palatal Prolapse, I understand the airway is collapsing after I inhale. So I thought that I should reduce or turn off the EPR. But I need the EPR to help with the aerophagia. One of the moderators previously suggested I might need a Bipap because of the flow limitation that I am consistently having. Does bipap make sense for palatal prolapse? Any suggestions of what I should do next? Is there anything else I should glean from these charts?

I don't have an appointment with my doctor for another month. Every appointment is 3 months out so I want to go in with as much info as possible. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!
Melody
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Palatal prolapse?
Melody, please do not take the lack of response on this thread to be a lack of interest. Palatal prolapse is a complicated issue and adjustments to CPAP settings have unpredictable results. There are several members we have worked with that have similar issues, and you can find Related Threads are now linked below this post. Some of the most effective therapy has actually been to stent the upper airway with an Alaxo Stent. The thread by SleepyCPAP is probably most complete documentation of personal experience of any I know of. You have a high level of inspiratory flow limitation, even when EPR is at 3. The need for positive air pressure pressure support seems to be beneficial for improved inspiratory volume and flow. The expiratory cutoff looks like it could be PP, and unfortunately I don't know of good CPAP/BPAP strategies to resolve that.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Palatal prolapse?
Sleeprider,
Thank you for your response and for providing links. I'm dismayed to hear that CPAP/BIPAP may not be able to resolve my issues. I will read everything you provided and go from there.

Thanks again,
Melody
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Palatal Prolapse and Velumount zaienk 20 1,166 04-03-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  Help Interpreting Charts to ID Potential Palatal Prolapse - Deep Sleep Issue reedro287 5 198 03-26-2024, 08:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 338 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  [Symptoms] Palate prolapse breathing pattern ? zaienk 22 1,793 01-18-2024, 04:35 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Does this indicate palate prolapse? ekirtz 2 387 12-20-2023, 02:41 PM
Last Post: zaienk
  [Diagnosis] Excellent AHI, poor sleep quality --> palatal prolapse? aquamike 5 901 12-18-2023, 10:04 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Could this be palatal prolapse? Artanox 14 1,438 11-21-2023, 01:49 AM
Last Post: Baratn

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.