Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Adjusting mask
Adjusting mask
I ve just got Dreamstation APAP. I just testing for few minutes and I see the same problem that remstar one: I cannt exhale even with Aflex 3 level properly. It force to inhale very soon. Thats the reason I would like to probe bipap previously but they say is expensive and complicate. Thats another story to talk about.

My post is about adjusting mask.

Regarding the section CHECK MASK ADJUSTMENT. It does not specify show how to perform the test. It happens  in 40 seconds in which I have these doubts:

1 - Do I need to breathe hard, normal, slowly or to maintain  breathing for a while? I have seen accepting values by breathing hard and with the same tightnes,s breathing slowly or making apnea and Do not accept.

2.- Does this calibration mask test  affect the calibration of the air pressure given by the apap?

3.- Whats the correct number that the machine should show? the manual puts 40

4.- At what maximum mask leakage level is the mask results acceptable? and at what level is unaceptable?

5.- Would you tell me what reliability I will get in AHI  with leaks in the mask? The average for example of the screenshot in my previous autocpap is 26 l/min. (see photo)

Without some kind of leak I cant sleep.

It´s my first post and probably my old apap was disfuntioning at that date. Soon I will post my results with the new stuff.

Thanks a lot
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Adjusting mask
(05-31-2019, 12:50 PM)frankadams Wrote: I ve just got Dreamstation APAP. I just testing for few minutes and I see the same problem that remstar one: I cannt exhale even with Aflex 3 level properly. It force to inhale very soon. Thats the reason I would like to probe bipap previously but they say is expensive and complicate. Thats another story to talk about.

Regarding the section CHECK MASK ADJUSTMENT. It does not specify show how to perform the test. It happens  in 40 seconds in which I have these doubts:

1 - Do I need to breathe hard, normal, slowly or to maintain  breathing for a while? I have seen accepting values by breathing hard and with the same tightnes,s breathing slowly or making apnea and Do not accept.  
Breath, and relax,  Relaxing is more important because your facial "structure" or shape changes when it is relaxed.  The face fit feature is a brief period of elevated pressure to check mask fit.  Read the Mask Primer (link in my signature.  The most common fault is the mask is too tight, the next is that it is the wrong mask for you.

2.- Does this calibration mask test  affect the calibration of the air pressure given by the apap?
Not at the levels you have, you always want to reduce mask leaks, but all CPAP masks have intentional leaks.  PR says large leaks are twice the intentional leak.  Your numbers are really good and I wouldn't worry about the leaks you have, be aware and reduce them, but don't worry.

Not sure what number you are talking about.

4.- At what maximum mask leakage level is the mask results acceptable? and at what level is unacceptable?
That number would vary considerably by pressure.  That is just the physics of it.  

5.- Would you tell me what reliability I will get in AHI  with leaks in the mask? The average for example of the screenshot in my previous autocpap is 26 l/min. (see photo)
As I stated above, don't worry, be aware and work on it.  The areas of the chart without major leaks are showing no more and no fewer events than those ares with the leaks.  When your numbers are good as yours are you do have more lattitude.

It´s my first post and probably my old apap was disfuntioning at that date. Soon I will post my results with the new stuff.

Thanks a lot
PR machines tend to anticipate or lead you rather than follow your breathing.  A number of users find this discomforting.  It is one of the reasons many of us recommend ResMed products over PR products.  We also see more issues when Flex is set at 3 so change it to 1 or 2 and see which you prefer.  A biPap machine would have the same issue.  You likely would be fine with a ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto (BiLevel) machine much more comfortable.  I would choose this machine over the ResMed AutoSet because your Flow Limitations are a bit elevated.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Adjusting mask
(05-31-2019, 01:26 PM)bonjour Wrote:
(05-31-2019, 12:50 PM)frankadams Wrote: I ve just got Dreamstation APAP. I just testing for few minutes and I see the same problem that remstar one: I cannt exhale even with Aflex 3 level properly. It force to inhale very soon. Thats the reason I would like to probe bipap previously but they say is expensive and complicate. Thats another story to talk about.

Breath, and relax,  Relaxing is more important because your facial "structure" or shape changes when it is relaxed.  The face fit feature is a brief period of elevated pressure to check mask fit.  Read the Mask Primer (link in my signature.  The most common fault is the mask is too tight, the next is that it is the wrong mask for you.

Not at the levels you have, you always want to reduce mask leaks, but all CPAP masks have intentional leaks.  PR says large leaks are twice the intentional leak.  Your numbers are really good and I wouldn't worry about the leaks you have, be aware and reduce them, but don't worry.

Not sure what number you are talking about.

4.- At what maximum mask leakage level is the mask results acceptable? and at what level is unacceptable?
That number would vary considerably by pressure.  That is just the physics of it.  

As I stated above, don't worry, be aware and work on it.  The areas of the chart without major leaks are showing no more and no fewer events than those ares with the leaks.  When your numbers are good as yours are you do have more lattitude.

Thanks a lot
PR machines tend to anticipate or lead you rather than follow your breathing.  A number of users find this discomforting.  It is one of the reasons many of us recommend ResMed products over PR products.  We also see more issues when Flex is set at 3 so change it to 1 or 2 and see which you prefer.  A biPap machine would have the same issue.  You likely would be fine with a ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto (BiLevel) machine much more comfortable.  I would choose this machine over the ResMed AutoSet because your Flow Limitations are a bit elevated.

Thank you very much. Would you tell me if my breath is so terrible or the leading of Flex(3) is doing this...
My mask was so tight that hurts a little

[attachment=12393]
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Adjusting for flow limitations jane2911 10 315 03-25-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: jane2911
  Need help adjusting settings cokepi 1 134 03-08-2024, 06:46 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Help with reading OSCAR and adjusting settings deirdrepen 2 242 01-24-2024, 11:06 AM
Last Post: deirdrepen
  Need help adjusting interpreting Oscar Data - 10 Aircurve Vauto mrwell 4 438 12-02-2023, 05:17 PM
Last Post: mrwell
  Tips for adjusting chin strap? TiredTom111 8 1,239 09-10-2023, 10:11 AM
Last Post: Bluesv6
  Auto-adjusting CPAP as replacement in Philips Recall Speusippus 1 589 08-14-2023, 05:16 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Adjusting to Nasal Pillow Mask DenKen31 7 893 07-25-2023, 07:22 AM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.