Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Advice appreciated
RE: Advice appreciated
Sounds like it's coming along, maybe not great but it'll come soon. Helpful hint and use it if/when it applies, if the data begins to be an obsession just don't look at it. You know if you feel better for therapy or not, data just measures stuff, your real feel data is better gauge on success.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been referring to a Kingsbridge chin strap.    Oops!     It is a Knightsbridge chin strap.      I was picturing a KING   wearing a crown and riding his horse over a bridge.
Post Reply Post Reply
Some of my OA s    are longer than 60 seconds.      I continue to try to eliminate  the OA s...   usually have a cluster or two ,   and shorter periods.     So I am still working on the positional apnea challenge.     
How much should I be concerned about these long apneas?        I   haven't read anything about lengths of individual apneas.    

I would like to keep my brain cells alive, as much as I can.    

Thank you for your consideration.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello again!

I woke up this morning feeling OK,   ...fair...as usual.     I checked my numbers.      AHI  5.4      it's been running lower than that.      

I've been sleeping with a nerf-type football attached to the back of my sleep-shirt   (it replaced several tennis balls),   a soft cervical collar,   a knightsbridge chinstrap,  all  in addition to my full face cpap mask.       

"AHI 5.4   !  "    

My sweet husband very calmly said,   "I'm sorry to say this,   but my opinion is that  you're still alive to gripe to me. " Rolleyes
Post Reply Post Reply
If you're inclined to do so we can look at the OSCAR chart. Do you think the increasing AHI is purely a positional thing? I'm sure there's very little room for any more stuff on the sleeping accessory list.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Clusters. AKA chin-tucking, I suppose. I will have to re-read the information on those things. Thank you for reply, Dave.
Post Reply Post Reply
I was concerned about what my sleep doc would say. First, he said, "How much weight have you lost?" about twenty pounds. He said, "That's good." Then he looked at the two letters I had written for him. One was " what happened" and one was "the short story"--a brief summary, including the words about changing my pressures, slowly, in small increments. He said to continue what I'm doing! And continue learning more about sleep apnea, too.
Thank you all again, for the information and the encouragement!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello again.    I haven't been reading/researching much lately,   but I continually think about what might be helpful with the sleep apnea challenge,  especially the  clusters/chin-tucks.    
I found --here at home-- a backpack--   from someone's school days ,  I guess.    This one has a waist strap, along with the shoulder straps.    I stuffed  the backpack with pillows of various sizes  and I've worn it to bed a few nights.      It replaced the nerf-type football attached to the back of my nightshirt.     I wake up briefly when I turn onto my other side,  but it is surprisingly comfortable to have this pillow support behind my back.   I seem to be sleeping better/  returning to sleep readily if I do get up to the bathroom in the night.   

The shoulder straps are slightly uncomfortable  but I can add padding .      Or I may sew /   or attach with many safety pins--  some kind of  fabric thing to hold the pillows to the back of my nightshirt.    Velcro  might work.   Hmmm...      My nightshirt is fairly snug, like some of the  UNDERwear that I have bought at ourdoor-supply stores.   

I read someone's suggestion, several months ago,   somewhere on apnea board,  about something similar.     And we can buy various anti-snore -type shirts and things online,   but  no one can buy all these things, and--how well will they work?

I am  still using Resmed FFM  F20 airtouch  and soft cervical collar.    I rarely use the knightsbridge chin strap.    It just seems like too much  sleep accessories.    AHI varies, but usually less than 5 and sometimes less than 1.    

As some of you discover other measures that help decrease the chin-tucking, I would be happy to hear from you.
Post Reply Post Reply
I was labeled a "mouth breather" when I started my cpap journey, so I have been using a full face mask since then.     I very briefly tried nasal pillows. 
A couple weeks ago, I had an appointment with my new DME, and I came home with two nasal masks and a replacement cushion for my resmed F20 AirTouch mask.
I have been starting the nights with a resmed N20 airtouch mask.   I have been taping my mouth with the clear flexible tape that we already had.   I usually change  to the F20 Air Touch  (full face mask) during the night.    
I often don't sleep well.   When I wake up enough to remove the Knightsbridge  chin strap, nasal mask, backpack stuffed with pillows, and then go to the bathroom, get a drink of water, and put artificial tears into my dry eyes--   I'm awake, sometimes for a couple hours.
Last night, after kissing my husband goodnight,  I taped my mouth, put on soft cervical collar, backpack,  and was getting into bed.   My husband is very supportive, but...this is a lot to look at.
He looked at me ...   and said,  "I'm so proud of you...  You keep trying."
And I do.  Whatever mask and other accessories I use,  I keep doing it every night.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for keeping us updated.  I hope you can find and stick with whatever mask gives you a comfortable nights sleep.  And keep that husband, he sounds like a gem. Smile
Having support makes all the difference.

If you can post a recent OSCAR chart, we can take a look to see if there's any adjustments to be made.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 45 1,846 1 hour ago
Last Post: Uzupan
  I need sleep badly! Any help with OSCAR is appreciated Quitethe1 77 1,774 Yesterday, 06:43 PM
Last Post: Quitethe1
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 16 306 Yesterday, 11:48 AM
Last Post: Expat31
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 182 03-27-2024, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 874 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
Question Not Sure if Setting Changes Helping - Help Appreciated! WiscoKate 6 160 03-25-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: WiscoKate
  ResMed S9 AutoSet and OSCAR - Help Appreciated Slippy 12 488 03-16-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: Slippy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.