Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Advice for managing humidity please
Advice for managing humidity please
Hi folks, 

I had 6 lovely, successful years of APAP therapy with a ResMed S9. Then it began to malfunction, and I got a ResMed S10. I can't make the S10 comfortable. 

If I put the humidity level on 5, I wake up with a painfully dry nose and mouth. If I put the humidity level on 6, the air is so damp it's almost hard to breathe, and I get a ton of rainout. There is no 5.5 setting. When I sleep with the S10, I end up putting it on one setting (5 or 6) until the discomfort wakes me up and then putting it on the other setting (5 or 6) until the opposite kind of discomfort wakes me up. (I'm exhausted, and I've gone back to sleeping with my S9, which sorta-kinda-works but not real well.)

Things I've tried with the S10:
- I got a chin strap and continue to use it; it's doing its job (in keeping my mouth closed) but hasn't made the drier setting comfortable.
- I've tried using the auto climate control feature--it's too dry for me.
- I've tried raising and lowering the temperature of the climate-controlled tube to different levels so that I can use the 6 setting without rainout; no luck. 
- I've also tried keeping the hose under the blankets with me for insulation; no joy. I've also tried keeping the hose outside the blankets.
- I've tried using nasal moisturizers while using the lower (5) setting; it's not enough and my nose and throat are still painfully dry. 

For context, I bought this machine retail and don't have a DME. I have an appointment with my sleep doc but have to wait another month for it. 

Any advice? Thank you in advance for your help!

Rachel
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Advice for managing humidity please
Welcome to Apnea Board. It seems strange you experience such a difference between a setting of 5 and 6. Many of us prefer the manual climate setting to get more consistent results. I'll suggest a setting of Manual at 5 with tube temperature at 80*F (27*C). I really like the SnuggleSkins fleece tube cover to help with facial and body contact with the tube and to further condition the air.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks--I'm using Manual controls, and I've tried that combo of 5 humidity plus 80 degree temp in the hose--it's too dry. But thank you for your answer.
Post Reply Post Reply
Have you increased both manual humidity to 6 and higher hose temp? What about a hose cover? Does the hose travel in an inverted V shape, up from the PAP onto a hanger, then back down to the mask? Any to all these may be needed.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I’m new! Humidity issues… tdpcpap 6 245 07-16-2024, 12:37 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Sad [Equipment] Airsense 11 Humidity problem chemesherpa 0 199 06-25-2024, 07:52 PM
Last Post: chemesherpa
  [Admin Note] Policy clarification [off-site advice & advice given via Private Message system] SuperSleeper 2 3,402 06-11-2024, 01:56 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Humidity Question MrIvanDrago 2 225 06-07-2024, 07:51 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Seeking advice OSA TheWishyOne 2 210 06-06-2024, 04:12 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Equipment] New to all this need advice JamesRyan 134 12,328 06-04-2024, 09:37 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Help/advice with Astral 150 costaricaraftguide 1 201 06-02-2024, 03:30 PM
Last Post: Jay51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.