Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Advice on Inspire device
Advice on Inspire device
Hi - I’m considering the idea of having the Inspire device implanted in order to deal with my sleep apnea.  I have been using my CPAP now for 5 years and don’t hate it - so I am not all that driven to get the Inspire device.  However, my results with my CPAP average around 4 to 5  AHI (better than the 31 AHI I originally had!) -so am wondering if an Inspire device might give me better results.  I still feel some fatigue in the afternoons - would like to get over that.  (Although - I am almost age 69 - perhaps afternoon fatigue is part of life..).  Overall I am fit and still working - so looking at the Inspire as a solution that might make my sleep even better.   Thanks  for any advice.  Also, I would appreciate being directed to any discussion groups of Inspire users.   Thank you!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Advice on Inspire device
I don't recall exact success rates, but most surgery based Apnea treatments are quite a bit less successful than CPAP. I would suspect your DreamStation is holding your therapy back from truly getting the success needed. If you've had this PAP for 5 years, consider getting a replacement ResMed PAP and see your AHI drop with a small setting tweak or two, while looking at OSCAR data to guide.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your post back in 2018 said your AHI were around 2. 
Now they are around 4-5. 

This treatment is for OSA which does nothing for centrals.
Without data there is not way to determine why your AHI went up.

Something must have changed.
Re-optomizing the CPAP treatment seems a lot less risky than an implant.
Post your current data, the experts here will be more than happy to help.

Being zapped also sounds uncomfortable.

To my ears, you sound like you're trying to convince yourself to get the implant.
Post Reply Post Reply
Cough, cough, cough...

As of May 2020

Costs of Inspire Surgery
How much does the treatment cost? The Inspire device presently costs about $30,000 to $40,000 to place, including the expenses associated with surgery, and the replacement of the battery can cost another $17,000. These costs may be covered by insurance.
Post Reply Post Reply
Jane,

Although, this wouldn't be my first choice of treatment, here is a thread discussion that may help.  

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...+device%22
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks SarcasticDave - good idea to consider a replacement CPAP, and good idea to post my data.  I'll have to figure out how to download Oscar - I used Sleepyhead at one point, but haven't used it for a couple years.
Post Reply Post Reply
Even the success story doesn't sound that great.

(01-12-2021, 01:22 PM)Malloc / mmorel536 Wrote: ...  Inspire actually seemed to make this worse since my tongue would often force open my mouth, precipitate dry mouth, then reduce the effectiveness of Inspire ...

Malloc still needs to tape his mouth.
Post Reply Post Reply
Jane, just to help you with the sleepyhead vs OSCAR, OSCAR was built of off the same programming that built sleepyhead. OSCAR is the newer version and it's actively updated whereas Sleepyhead isn't any longer. OSCAR has gotten many of the old program's bugs and issues taken care of. They'll look similar but OSCAR is the better report tool by far. Still free and safe to use. It'll ensure we can help you with your PAP therapy.

PS now that the DreamStation PAP had been recently replaced with DreamStation 2 as your edition of DreamStation has issues with the foam surrounding the blower so they stopped selling it. Besides, I've seen many where a ResMed similar to Respironics units give much better therapy.

Best wishes you'll get it replaced. Keep your old one for a backup though. It's always good to have it around just in case.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
There is another way to consider this. Notice I said "consider."

Consider the advances in materials and manufacturing processes of the Model T compared to modern vehicles. Consider the advances in PAP machines since first invented compared to today's machines. Human history is full of evolutionary examples. Perhaps Inspire is not "the" answer but will send us down the road to an evolutionary change where implants are safe, effective and reasonably priced. Pacemakers were once on the fringe and very expensive. Today they are routinely implanted and battery change is no big deal. Bottom line - let's take a deep breath and think about "what if"
Post Reply Post Reply
Interesting and very positive post from Schandler here:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid398641
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 165 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 14 255 Yesterday, 12:33 PM
Last Post: Expat31
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 853 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 43 1,784 03-25-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Uzupan
  [Pressure] Looking for advice about ASV settings rosebladepat 7 143 03-15-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  [Treatment] Looking for Advice jlacassin 0 77 03-15-2024, 03:51 PM
Last Post: jlacassin
  ResMed 10 Card-to-Cloud: no cellular device NelsonM 20 3,036 03-14-2024, 10:08 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.