Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Aerophagia on Pressure 11 nasal mask
Aerophagia on Pressure 11 nasal mask
Hello,

My doc has told me to increase the pressure to 11 or 12. However, if i increase my pressure more than 10 then I start getting gas and end up removing my mask in 3-4 hours. I use nasal mask F&P Eson Mask 2. I have resmed airsense 11. My doctor previously told me to switch off my EPR. Should switch on my EPR and what should be my EPR level ?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Aerophagia on Pressure 11 nasal mask
It would be helpful if you can share some screenshots of your sleep data so we can make some recommendations to help you. Aerophagia is a function of cpap pressure pushing air into your stomach but it's likely the pressure increase is being recommended to solve obstructive events. If you're using constant pressure there may be an opportunity to set you up on auto pressure so you only hit the higher pressures when you experience events.
Post Reply Post Reply
      I have attached my data. Please help.
Post Reply Post Reply
Wow, aside from the aerophagia complaints you have excellent results. The only limiting factor is the low amount of time you used the machine overall.

I would recommend turning on EPR and setting it to level 1 and sleep with it for a night to see if you're still experiencing discomfort. This will lower the expiratory pressure and make it easier for your to breathe while using cpap. If after a couple of nights you're still getting aerophagia you may consider upping EPR to 2.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you. I can not keep the mask on for long time because I get very gassy and extremally bloated. the next day also I feel very bloated. 
I will keep my EPR to 1 today night and hopefully I can keep my mask longer. Thank you very much once again.
Post Reply Post Reply
Set your EPR to 3 and your pressure to 11. You need to work on the aerophagia, even if it means increasing your AHI.

What you really need is a bi-level machine with auto-adjusting pressure. For example, the ResMed AirCurve 10 VAUTO.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Let's start by killing the aerophagia

Set
Mode to Auto. As stated your treatment is beyond excellent except for your aerophagia. Seeing how the machine responds helps us to tweak you in
Min pressure=8. Big drop to actually loose the aerophagia.
Max pressure=20, or 14 doesn't ma[er because based on your chart pressure will not go that high.
EPR,maximizing EPR will lower your average pressure and thus help manage your aerophagia. The question is why did your doctor have you turn off your EPR? Higher EPR can , not will, lead to increased central apnea. Your 95% FL stat is 0.06, which is under the 0.10 we want to see, but is above the 0.02-0.03 we would like to see so I'm in favor of bringing EPR back but watching it. Oh, it is the EPR that best treats the flow limits. Without the knowledge the doctor turned EPR off I'd set EPR=3 Fulltime. Because he did out of an abundance of caution try EPR=1, Fulltime.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to CPAP, awful aerophagia callamar75 24 615 03-25-2024, 11:26 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  How can I rectify skin breakage from nasal mask? evenflow 2 103 03-20-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 530 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 326 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  4 months in - Do I have to live with aerophagia? RedNailz 18 1,657 03-09-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: RedNailz
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,082 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Mask(s) to use after nasal surgery? Wonderlight 17 4,230 03-08-2024, 05:42 PM
Last Post: DoubtFire61

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.