Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

BlueSky1958 - Therapy Thread
BlueSky1958 - Therapy Thread
Just started therapy. Getting my leak (L/min) numbers and wondering what is considered acceptable or normal so I have some basis upon which to assess it. For my first week I'm pretty consistently between 30-40. Total myAir score in the 87-92 range.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Acceptable Leak numbers
If you exceed 24L/min, then the CPAP will be unable to supply the needed therapy pressure and severely limit the detection of apnea events.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yay...so we 're looking at a different mask? Fasten the one I have  (nasal pillows) a bit tighter? My AHI is consistently under 5 (from over 30 prior to treatment). Would this suggest the low AHI is attributable to the leakage?. And I thought I was doing well...lol!
Post Reply Post Reply
Does this provide more insight into a fix?

Average Leak Rate
Last session: 8.38
April: 9.38

95% Leak Rate
Last session: 30.00
April: 36.00

% of time above Leak Rate threshold
last session: 13.62%
April :17.50%
Post Reply Post Reply
An OSCAR chart would give more insight.  

Post a chart from the Daily page in Oscar.  

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ganization
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

I think this will help
Post Reply Post Reply
Do you think an extremely high leak rate causes Oscar to not record ahi and the ahi is under-reported as a result?
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, but it isn't OSCAR underreporting. OSCAR doesn't record anything, it only obtains the data from your CPAP. A major leak, any value above 24L/min, defeats the senors and algorithms used to detect apneas. Additionally, above 24L/min will severely affect proper therapy pressure.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Crimson--I think this is a really important concept and appreciate greatly your very direct input.  I am a little skeptical but would like to understand.

So if Oscar reports cpap pressure and mask pressure, continuously at or close to the set point---say 10cm, leak rate continuously of say 30/40/50 liters,  why would the algorithm not be effective. One still has the 10cm at the sensor, supposedly 10 cm at the mask and 10 cm in the throat.   ( the motor will be turning faster, I guess).  I still consider myself a new-be, so I am interested in the analysis.

Wouldn't Oscar show when the 10 cm of therapy was not being delivered?
Post Reply Post Reply
It isn't a straight leak/pressure rule in reality. The ability to maintain pressure versus leak rate is a logarithmic slope. This means as the therapy pressure increases, the amount of allowable leak decreases. Again, this is dependent on the CPAP hardware. The A10 series' hardware is the same for the AirSense and AirCurve series. The AS10 is firmware limited to 20 cm, whereas the AirCurve 10 Vauto (Bi-Level) has a 25 cm limit. The AirCurve 10 ASV, ST, and ST-A are limited to 30 cm, all using the same blower. Resmed has determined that a leak rate of 24l/min is sufficient at any pressure to cause uncertainty in detecting anomalies.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lanners - Therapy Help Lanners 23 940 2 hours ago
Last Post: Lanners
  Jakespeare65 - Therapy Help jakespeare65 28 840 7 hours ago
Last Post: jakespeare65
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,086 03-27-2024, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 177 03-27-2024, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Therapy help rekaviv 9 256 03-27-2024, 11:22 AM
Last Post: rekaviv
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,271 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,367 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.