Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

BlueSky1958 - Therapy Thread
RE: Acceptable Leak numbers
Any thoughts on my chart numbers related to leak?
Post Reply Post Reply
Some reading for you:   Smile

Even though this wiki article mentions older pap machines, the information still applies to the A10 algorithm.

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SCAR_leaks
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The "my air score" to me seems pretty indefinite because it relies on so many factors but mainly hours sleeping, I think.  If you refer to it every day and you're cruising along at 90 and then drop to 60---well- you can look around and see what's up.  But I don't use it and shouldn't criticize.  Perhaps another poster will have experience with it and comment on your score.

I often hit the "info" button on my cpap to see the AHI and if it's high, I check Oscar.  I suppose it's the same thing.

An Oscar Leakage score over 30, I think, is troubling.  I often have continuous and constant high leakage rates (over 30) and I am concerned.  At the very least, it must be hard on the motor and limit the CPAP's lifetime.

If I have even the smallest real obvious leak at the start, it drives me nuts and I have a hard time getting to sleep.

Do you notice the leaks!!!  Are they blowing into your eyes--if so you have to stop that happening.

For me I don't notice these large leaks at all.  That's my problem--I can't find the leak.  And--damn the motor, I am concerned at how this can effect the treatment (cpap).  I am guessing this may be your question too.

Give us a little more info and perhaps someone can assist.
Post Reply Post Reply
Besides the charts and numbers, what I can add is that I'm using nasal pillows. I chose the Large size because the mediums felt like it was too invasive into my nostrils. When I shift to my side, I find the pillow can shift too, causing air to seep out from various points. If I'm in a deeper sleep, I suspect a lot of air can get out before I wake up enough to readjust it.

I received an AirTouch F20 foam full face today so I plan to give that a try tonight, although I'll admit I'm resistant to using a FF mask for all the typical reasons.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm a side sleeper.  Since a pillow has a compressibility factor, I've become accustomed to slightly offset my mask towards the pillow as I change sides.  This allows the mask to return to its neutral position when it's released.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I gave up on the nasal masks as I am a mouth breather.  I tried the f20 air fit but it seemed to rub on the bridge of my nose and I finally switched to the very costly F20 touch.  I now think it could be my forever mask.  It is very comfortable.  Some people think it should be worn tightly; others very loose to get the benefit of the memory foam.  The memory foam molds when your skin warms it up, I have been told--so you have to wait a minute to let that happen.  Do not over-clean; it's fragile and will only last 30 uses if you're rough with it.  Good idea to wear it every other day to let the foam rest--I believe (YMMV).  But I have large leaks with the cushions that I have babied for 90 uses!  I hope you will keep us informed as to how you do with the leaks with this cushion.
Post Reply Post Reply
If I'm reading you correctly, if you turn to sleep on the left side, you're slightly shifting your nasal pillows to the left on your face, so when the pillow puts upward pressure on them, they re-align with your nostrils. If this is correct, it is also what I'm doing to compensate (although it equally often results in a leak requiring more adjusting.)
Post Reply Post Reply
It is more a pressure exerted on the mask and not a physical movement. Basically, it is about the same pressure as what the pillow will put on the mask. It also helps to be near the edge of the pillow, too. This can allow some of the larger areas of the mask to hang off. I forgot to mention that I use a memory foam pillow. It is somewhat more dimensionally stable than one with fiber filling or foam chunks.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a memory foam pillow as well, and have been wondering if its a bit too firm and that contributes to the pressure on the face rig (as well as keeping my head relative to neck in too high and angle which could add to apnea problems).
Post Reply Post Reply
My large leak went from an average of maybe 13-16 down to 1.77 last night using FF mask (foam style). So it would appear the full mask had a clear positive effect on leakage.

Average Leak Rate
Last night 1.77
average 8.90

95% Leak Rate
Last night 10.80
average 36.00

% of time above Leak Rate threshold
Last night 1.06%
Average 16.48%

My apnea numbers:

AHI

Last night 1.74
Average 3.04

Obstructive Apnea (OA) Index
Last night 0.62
Average 2.07

So on the whole, this style mask seems to be addressing the leakage I was getting with nasal pillows, and also impacting my apnea too, correct? More detaisl in attached file. Also notice the pressure numbers went up a bit which i guess should be expected with a better seal.

I did notice this....when I first put it on it repeatedly "hiccuped" for the first 5 minutes like the air flow was pulsing or convulsing through it. As I settled my breathing it went away. Also noticed a was getting leaks that seemd to be the result of the pressure from the bottom corners of the mask (My exhaling added to the air pressure = leak)

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] 6bez8dF5lf - Therapy Help, 6bez8dF5lf 9 215 1 hour ago
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  First time therapy, settings and progress Schernenk 66 1,045 2 hours ago
Last Post: Schernenk
  michaelyu15 - Therapy Help michaelyu15 18 370 2 hours ago
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [CPAP] Starting therapy - 3 days in, help and recommendations joedes 1 72 Yesterday, 10:23 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Little Olive - Therapy Adventure Little Olive 71 1,352 Yesterday, 08:23 PM
Last Post: Little Olive
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,964 359,582 Yesterday, 02:17 PM
Last Post: btreger
  MaggieL, Better than a Sweaty Zombie Meat Sack Therapy Thread MaggieL 37 1,076 04-16-2024, 06:00 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.