Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Air blasting out of mouth
RE: Air blasting out of mouth
(03-17-2020, 05:29 PM)Sleepgains Wrote: Okay so like any generic one should do? I’m going to tape with somnifix tonight and see if I keep having that issue, and if I do then grab the cervical pillow. Thanks guys!

One that fits!!!
Try masks while lying down, sleeping position, and under pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply
It’s a cervical collar not a cervical pillow
Post Reply Post Reply
I never could get tape to work when I started having too many leaks with a nasal pillow mask. While chin straps helped, they didn't resolve the problem. I ended up using a combination of a full face mask and a soft cervical collar.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
You're going to get to the stage when all the chin straps, collars and tapes are just too much for you. At that point you'll realise that the correct starting point is a full face mask. I don't understand the lengths that people go to to avoid full face but having tried the others I now never use anything else. My current favourite is the Resmed Airtouch F20 with a microfoam cushion.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think I am going to pick up the dreamwear full face mask. What do you guys think about that one? I am going to be ordering it online so I do not have the option to check the fit and everything, but based on lankylefty's review I really like it so far
Post Reply Post Reply
I have good success with a fairly basic chin strap and the tongue on the roof of the mouth trick mentioned above. Been using my cpap since mid-January and while it wasn't fun, I'm getting used to it and sleep well now.
A good laugh and a long sleep are the best cures for everything.
Irish Proverb
Post Reply Post Reply
Helpful thread for me as well, as I have some mouth breathing/leaks. Clearly like what is a good mask? the answer is very personal (and sometimes passionate). I'm only 3.5 weeks into therapy: In moving from nasal Wisp mask to nasal pillows Air Fit 30i, I found it helpful to not only read review and comments here, but I went to several of the online vendors and read reviews there. Since I am a side sleeper, product reviews of those who mentioned side sleeping helped me narrow down my choices. Perhaps reading extensive reviews will help you narrow down what mask(s) you want to audition. I haven't ordered online but seems like several suppliers on the list offer free returns, but of course there is the hassle of mailing things back. 

FWIW, after the many suggestions on forum for the Knightsbridge dual band (chin cap) I tried it; found it massively increased my leaks and felt very unnatural to me. I did not give it a fair trial period and I expect once one finds the sweet spot in adjusting it that it might become 2nd nature in putting it on as part of bed time ritual, but for me I spent time fiddling with adjustment and never found what seemed like the right tension. More important is that I found it restrictive and invasive. I am using effectively Somnifit mouth "tape" and will try the 3M nexCare suggested earlier in thread. Initially I found this slightly anxiety inducing but after practicing ripping it off, I have settled into easy use. For me a factor in choosing a solution is that I sleep quite warm, and as we move toward warmer weather I was concerned about the extra heat trapping of chin straps, collars, etc. I hope you quickly find the solution that works best for you and your own unique needs/criteria.
Post Reply Post Reply
So I have invested into a cervical collar and will be sleeping with it tonight. I also have a dreamwear full face mask on the way as well just in case. Thanks guys!
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the 'I look like I'm in traction' club!!
Post Reply Post Reply
Lol I am going to be sleeping with a cervical collar, mouth tape, my sleepmask to cover my eyes, nose strip to open up the nose further, and my cpap tonight. Going to be a site to see for sure ahahah!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 40 Yesterday, 06:41 AM
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 383 03-27-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 318 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 241 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,081 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 810 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM
  Dry mouth even using mouth tape Wcsleep 8 1,168 03-08-2024, 09:37 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.