Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AirCurve 10 ST or ST-A firmware
AirCurve 10 ST or ST-A firmware
Hi does anyone have the aircurve 10 st or st-a firmware?

Ironically, I have my own legitimate copy of the ST firmware that I dumped myself from my machine (it's the Australian version of the AirCurve 10 ST - Lumis 150 ST VPAP), but when I try to flash it onto an autoset, the device gets stuck in a boot loop and I don't have the technical skills to look at the logs and understand why.
I've seen the airbreak project patch enables modes like ST and T, which do work, but are missing some key menu items (e.g. Target Pt. Rate, etc.).

I've seen some people mention they've managed to flash the AirCurve 10 ST firmware just fine onto an autoset, and I would like to give that a try.

Thank you!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: AirCurve 10 ST or ST-A firmware
I'm not at all sure even if you were to get it to load, you're going to be able to get decent therapy. I've seen some other member try things in their AirBreak machine and the missing settings are actually more important than he thought.

What is it exactly you want to treat with an ST or ST-A? Lung disease of some sort? That's what these 2 are for, with ST being the dumb version of inhale and exhale single pressures that can be Spontaneous and/or Timed or both, that's it. ST-A is the baby ventilator.

FWIW the AirBreak experiment was to prove the theory that all ResMed machines could be almost any machine with the right algorithms, during COVID. In practice, it's been seen to not be nearly as practical as it appeared. Again those missing settings severely diminished the effectiveness of therapy.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you so much for the quick reply!

I agree, I'd rather not use the airbreak software patch, but instead just load the geniune software directly so that all the features are included.

And I just became recently aware of how rare ST use is compared to the ASV and VAuto, I have a form of central sleep apnea where my brain just decides to quit breathing the moment I start falling asleep. If I don't receive a strong backup rate from the machine, I immediately choke myself awake. And so effectively I need something much more similar to a ventilator.

I think (please let me know if I'm wrong), even though the ASV has a backup rate. But when I've tried the ASV firmware, the backup rate didn't kick in quickly enough (not sure if I'm using the right terminology. Basically the machine created a positive airway pressure, but didn't start 'breathing for me' as soon as I turned it on. Even holding my breath for a while to test it.) I wish I could use the ASV, but unfortunately I think only the ST would work for me. Though I'm not completely sure.
Post Reply Post Reply
ASV would be the right machine for Central Apnea. I've used it for a few years until my lung disease prevented the therapy from working well for me.

On this ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV, your settings besides humidity and heated hose are Ramp, which really doesn't play well with Central Apnea therapy.

There's then therapy mode of CPAP which is straight single pressure, ASV with single EPAP exhale and PS range, finally ASV Auto which makes EPAP a range too. IPAP inhale pressure is comprised of adding EPAP and PS of the moment. IPAP isn't directly editable. From there, all timing controls are automatically run by the algorithm. This includes Ti Min and Max, backup breath rate, trigger, cycle.

The ASV will never actually breathe for you. Its ventilaton method is to kick start your breathing when stuck in a Central Apnea pause.

With the ST, it's really basic, and yes in this there's the available time controls. However it's rather poor at Central Apnea treatment.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I see. Thank you for your thorough answer Dave! I thought 'backup rate' meant that the machine will breathe for you when you don't, but I see that's wrong.
That's actually very helpful to understand, I really appreciate you clearing that up.

I am a bit confused though, why is the ST bad for central sleep apnea? It's the machine I've been prescribed and doesn't it make sense to use the machine that breathes for you at times where you've stopped breathing yourself? The ST and T modes have been the only thing that has worked for me so far (haven't tried iVAPS)
Post Reply Post Reply
This is just a thought, but do they sell Resvent/iBreeze CPAPs in your country? Resvent has a Bi-level that has 12 different modes, with ST and ST-A being 2 of them. From what I have seen here, pricing of the Resvent Bi-Level is 1/2 to 1/3 the price of the Resmed ST-A.
- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
ST used to be prescribed for Central Apnea, but along came the ASV making that plan obsolete. So it's not so much that ST is bad, there's a better choice in ASV when properly setup.

iVAPS, ResMed version of ventilator mode AVAPS, is typically first found within the ResMed's family, the ST-A, as a ventilator mode. Its delivery of therapy will be different than ASV because there's different targets it is monitoring.

Again typically ST and ST-A are pulmonary disease treatments. Someone like me should be on ST-A on iVAPS or actually a full ventilator class Astral again running iVAPS.

It really depends on your Central Apnea what will be best. I had 124 CA to 24 OA and an 74 or so AHI. ResMed ASV dropped it to less than 3 right away consistently. I had to do initial setup because the issuing supplier has no clue on it. It took me about 3 minutes to get mine ready. Over a week or so I edited a few settings and then that was about it. But COPD/Asthma diagnosis with a bout of pneumonia and bronchitis, therapy broken after that.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you Crimson - I hadn't considered that but I'll definitely look into those machines!

And thanks again Dave that's really informative and helpful. I'm sorry to hear about your own personal situation, sounds pretty damn frustrating and challenging. I hope you're able to find therapy that does work for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
Still working on it. Thanks.

So you do have the ST, as in that's what you're working on? If you'd like, attach OSCAR charts and we'll see about pointing out some areas to improve, if you'd like.

I did borrow an ST-A about a year ago, and except for the single EPAP it offered and editable timing, it felt like ASV to me otherwise.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for offering - will do. I'm currently dealing with an unrelated sleep issue though, once that's over and my sleep patterns normalize again I'll be happy to share and get your advice.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  OSCAR with AirCurve 11 ASV, also Mac scrolling issues loglow 6 380 06-22-2024, 07:26 PM
Last Post: croc297
Information Resvent iMatrix Software & Firmware Update for iBreeze machines SuperSleeper 4 1,941 06-13-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: GUSPTY
  Resmed Aircurve 11 bipap and Oscar Clay L 1 274 05-27-2024, 01:37 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  lowenstein firmware bobgsm 4 730 05-16-2024, 08:19 AM
Last Post: Monial
  ResM AirCurve 11 VAuto - Where to send zip file Empty13220 1 303 04-09-2024, 09:07 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Aircurve 11 Bipap skcampbell2 4 512 03-09-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: skcampbell2
Question Importing Data Only After A Certain Date ResMed AirCurve 10 somewherein413 4 516 02-14-2024, 05:40 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.