Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AirCurve Trigger high works well for me but why?
AirCurve Trigger high works well for me but why?
Altough I don't have any respiratory diseases, my flow waveforms are better, less "noisy" and more consistent with Trigger High than Trigger Medium (the default).
With Trigger Medium AirCurve misses single breath

[Image: Ar0R7ou.jpg]

or two in a row, marking "formal" apnea

[Image: MQGdoOp.jpg]

Why should this happen?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: AirCurve Trigger high works well for me but why?
If you occasionally have a weak spontaneous effort to start inspiration, the high or very high sensitivity will convert to IPAP. It still follows respiration, but will trigger IPAP with a lower pressure change. Without CPAP, our airway is actually under negative pressure during inspiration, and the increase in negative pressure is why many people experience obstructive apnea. Expiration is always a passive effort and results in positive airway pressure. Right at the transition, the airway approached zero flow. With CPAP the airway is under positive pressure all the time, but flow is still near zero at transition, and the start of inspiration can be hard to detect. You can see a number of tiny flow changes occur at the end of your exhale. With high sensitivity, the machine is more likely to trigger on these variations than waiting for the strong flow increase associated with inspiration. With high or very high trigger sensitivity, the weak breaths in your first chart at 02:39:48 and 02:40:48 would trigger, but with medium trigger, the pressure does not switch to IPAP.

One way to look at it is, high trigger sensitivity is like putting the machine is sports-car mode, and medium is like touring or cruise. It's not for everyone, but it can get things moving with a lighter touch on the throttle.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the thorough explaination!
I suffer from persistent flow limitations not solved by CPAP pressure but are solved by pressure support=4 to 5.
Can we differentiate weak spontaneous effort ("central") from the physical flow limitation ("obstructive") using the CPAP flow only?
If central, maybe the weak effort is due to the pressure support?
Post Reply Post Reply
Flow limitation is a decreasing flow as inspiration progresses, resulting in a graph with flat or downward sloping inspiratory peak. FL is usually restrictive or obstructive in nature. A weak respiratory transition is just a lack of spontaneous effort, rather than restriction. It could be related to central hypopnea or apnea, but I wasn't going to go that far.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rant and AirCurve 10 vs AirCurve 11 question Whacked 11 306 03-25-2024, 03:14 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Phillips Dreamstation 2 High Disconnects mrsleepyhead2001 2 128 03-22-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mrsleepyhead2001
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 566 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO
  [Pressure] ASV pressure too high. Please Help Mosleepy 27 709 03-21-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Oscar Charts: Interrupted sleep with high heart rate xaid 1 108 03-19-2024, 08:15 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Plmnb's New Therapy ResMed AirCurve 10 ST-A Plmnb 204 8,512 03-19-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: Plmnb
  Trouble adapting to ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV JanetW 6 208 03-19-2024, 01:58 AM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.