Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AirCurve Vauto 10 ramp question
AirCurve Vauto 10 ramp question
On my Phillips machine I could set the ramp pressure to 6.5cm for 30 mins before it would slowly go up to the min of 9cm so i could fall asleep with less pressure. I am having trouble with the AirCurve Vauto, in Vauto mode I have PS 4 and EPAP 6. If i understand this correctly my min IPAP should be 10cm. When I go to adjust the ramp pressure all I can go to is EPAP of 4 or 5, when the ramp in enabled the pressure still goes up to 10 and back down to 5. Can I adjust the ramp to lets say 6 until the 30 min ramp time is done like the phillips? 

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: AirCurve Vauto 10 ramp question
The pressure support on the Vauto is constant at whatever setting you apply, so if your PS is 4.0, the lowest possible pressure is 8.0/4.0. That should still be perceived as a lower pressure that the constant 8.0 pressure. If you need more time to adapt to using pressure support, you can simply reduce pressure support to 3 and it will be applied at ramp and therapy allowing a pressure of 7.0/4.0. Your machine also has a CPAP mode that uses EPR which can be set to 1, 2 or 3. The ramp can be set lower with CPAP mode, but the final pressure is fixed, not autoset.

You have never posted a graph that I'm aware of, so we really don't know what your therapy looks like or what your need for PS 4.0 is.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have an dreamstation apap but i am trying the resmed AirCurve vauto that i have not been using. Usually, right now i have epap of 5 and ps of 4 making it 10 as the min pressure on inhale. I am a little confused how the ramp setting only has an epap selection of 4 and 5. I wish it was a little lighter starting out so i can be asleep before it ramps up to regular pressure. Here is last nights graph, i was thinking of raising the epap to 6 to see if it would take out some of the OSA's. What do you think? 

Post Reply Post Reply
The minimum pressure any of the mainstream CPAPs and VPAPs produce is 4.0 cm, including your Dreamstation, so with ramp on, the lowest possible pressure is 4.0 + PS 4.0. If you still find that uncomfortable then lower the PS setting. You don't appear to have flow limitations and a lower PS is certainly okay. I think aside from ramp you need a higher EPAP min to resolve the OA events, however you may be momentarily tucking your chin causing these events. Your pressure never gets above 12, so you don't need that 20 maximum pressure.

On your graphs, we don't need the AHI graph. Something like flow limit is more useful.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Sleeprider, 

I am trying to make it like an auto cpap, if i reduce the ps won't it be tougher to exhale? I am hoping i can dial it down to 6cm total for the 30 mins of ramp time then it can go to 10cm min and 4 PS, I am still a total newbie at this. I have a dreamstation that i like but I got the AirCurve for a deal and hoping i can use it like the dreamstation apap at 3 epr. The resmed seems to respond faster to events. I was thinking of increasing the epap to 6, what do you think by looking at this chart? 

Here is my chart from the previous night 

Post Reply Post Reply
I think your goal of making a VAuto act like an APAP, given that you're used to a DreamStation APAP, is the wrong goal and will disappoint. Personally, I'd make the VAuto act like a VAuto.

Set your EPAP at 6, edit PS to 3 for now. Set Max IPAP to 14 or so as you don't touch higher than 12 as is.

I do think your Min pressure is showing not to be high enough with Obstructive events getting past the VAuto.

And you must work on leak control. ResMed leak rate redlines at 24 L/min and yours Maxes higher, sometimes over 27. It may be disrupting you, and it's definitely hindering Apnea treatment.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks! I will give that a try tonight! I really appricate it!
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is my data from last night. I upped the Epap to 6 and ps to 3. When you talk about leak control how do i do that? I am using the p-10 pillow system. 

Post Reply Post Reply
OK, if I've got the chart reading right on leaks, the sharp pointed looking areas on your leak graph are mask leaks which could be the mask being moved or not sealing correctly. I'd suggest reviewing proper adjusting.

Then the other, rounded and long leak sections are mouth leaks. That most likely means your mouth is opening or air is leaking past your tongue and lips. In this case, you may need to review the tongue suck method which is a refresher on getting your tongue to stay in the natural sealed position it automatically is in while awake. Or you may need the support of a chin strap to keep the mouth closed. Or consider mouth taping.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm seeing distinct signs of chin-tucking as the OA events cluster in several place and arise out of no flow limitation or breathing resistance. Make sure your pillow does not cause your head to tilt forward or sharply to the side when sleeping on your side. Obstruction from flexing the airway is very common. I actually think leaks are acceptable here.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rant and AirCurve 10 vs AirCurve 11 question Whacked 11 293 03-25-2024, 03:14 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Rate my Resmed 10 VAuto deal from FB GrandCentral 18 851 03-23-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 549 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO
  Plmnb's New Therapy ResMed AirCurve 10 ST-A Plmnb 204 8,492 03-19-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: Plmnb
  Trouble adapting to ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV JanetW 6 201 03-19-2024, 01:58 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  New Bi Level AC/11 VAUTO skcampbell2 19 460 03-18-2024, 02:27 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Aircurve 10 ST-A and Lumis 150 VPAP ST-A just a UK branding difference? SingleH 37 2,231 03-18-2024, 07:51 AM
Last Post: SingleH

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.