Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AirFit P10 Strap Issues
RE: AirFit P10 Strap Issues
I don't know if it was just a coincidence, but my straps didn't stretch out until after I washed them. They'd been perfect for weeks (maybe as much as 2 months? I swap between 2 sets), then washed them and the next night they got stretched out.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-12-2018, 07:39 PM)kiwii Wrote: I don't know if it was just a coincidence, but my straps didn't stretch out until after I washed them. They'd been perfect for weeks (maybe as much as 2 months? I swap between 2 sets), then washed them and the next night they got stretched out.

Did you put them in the dryer? My wife claims that dryers kill the stretch material in bathing suits (lycra??). I think I read in an instruction book somewhere that you are not even supposed to put the mask harness in the sun to dry...
Post Reply Post Reply
No, I hand washed them - very gently and rolled in a towel to blot (like I'd do with hand knits) and let air dry flat. After it stretched, I tried the hot water. It didn't really help that much.
Post Reply Post Reply
I tried the goofy clips last night. Yes it made the fit tighter, but it also did as I suspected. The clips seem to catch on the pillow and pull the straps off. There has to be a better way.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-12-2018, 02:10 PM)alankittner Wrote: My Airfit P10 Strap became unusable after 6 weeks EVEN WITH CLIPS.  It stretched too much to stay in place...

I neglected to mention in my post -- I'm wondering if washing it may have caused it to stretch so drastically. (since mine was fine until washing)
Post Reply Post Reply
Ohmy 
(04-13-2018, 10:56 AM)kiwii Wrote:
(04-12-2018, 02:10 PM)alankittner Wrote: My Airfit P10 Strap became unusable after 6 weeks EVEN WITH CLIPS.  It stretched too much to stay in place...

I neglected to mention in my post -- I'm wondering if washing it may have caused it to stretch so drastically. (since mine was fine until washing)

Data point: I haven't washed my P10 strap in nearly 6 months (eeew?) and it's still stretchy and holds in place fine. *

*I do wash the other parts, though: hose, nosepiece (removed) inside and out.
Post Reply Post Reply
I also do not understand how these straps can stretch so excessively in such a short time. My last P10s I had the same strap for 14 months and while it did stretch somewhat, it is definitely still useable. My newest mask I have had for about 3 months now and it still feels practically new. I wear a size XL hat, just for reference.

The idea of cutting the straps and then sewing them should help. But something has to be going on here to cause those straps to stretch so much. That is definitely not what happens to most people I think. Aside from suggesting a different nasal pillows mask that has adjustable straps, I cannot suggest anything else.

Per Sheepish's post above. I wonder if the method of washing the straps or the specific detergent used (or water temperature) could be causing the material to stretch so much? But then I wash mine about every couple of weeks to a month in warm water and dishwasher soap and like I mentioned, I have not experienced this excessive stretching either. I have also never had to use the supplied clips.
Post Reply Post Reply
After a couple months of use (and never being washed), my P10 straps needed to be cinched up. So I used the clip, which works ok for me.

I recently washed my P10 strap (haven't worn it yet), and the material is definitely crispier than it was before I washed it. I used lukewarm water with a drop of dish soap, rinsed in lukewarm water, gently squeezed out some of the excess water, and let it dry on a hanger in my closet.

Of the masks I've tried so far (P10, Dreamwear, Amara View, Nuance Pro, & Wisp), the P10 straps/headgear are by far the most comfortable and they stay put the best. I wear them like a headband - one half is at my neck beneath all my hair, and the other is at the top of my head. I imagine this must stretch them pretty well. But it was only after several months that they became too stretched to hold the pillow to my nose.
Post Reply Post Reply
They stretch!  There appears to be a downside to most things!
The Swift FX has a ratchet thing going over the head made of silicone and after a while it does not hold the same.
It was fine when I got them.  But after three months, finding it harder to get it to grip.
I was thinking of getting p10s and now I hear the straps stretch.
Same with chin straps, I have seen less stretch in elastic! Rolleyes
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-13-2018, 11:39 AM)Marillion Wrote: ...Per Sheepish's post above.  I wonder if the method of washing the straps or the specific detergent used (or water temperature) could be causing the material to stretch so much?  But then I wash mine about every couple of weeks to a month in warm water and dishwasher soap and like I mentioned, I have not experienced this excessive stretching either.  I have also never had to use the supplied clips.

This. I was very careful washing mine - lukewarm water, 7th Generation liquid dish soap, rinse, blot in towel and lie flat to dry. It wasn't even like it was stretched out afterward, exactly; more like the integrity of the thing had been lessened (kind of like swim suit elastic that has gotten old). Very disappointing. I switched back to the Brevida, but will try the P10 again with the clips. But that is why I wondered about the OP's experience -- was it washing that did it?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flow Limit and frequent waking issues Premier1991 3 174 Yesterday, 08:07 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Gross EVIDENCE OF AIRFIT P10 VENT OBSTRUCTION CAUSING HYPERCAPNIA mdmarmd 139 35,521 04-12-2024, 05:52 PM
Last Post: Sheepish
  Sinus issues with CPAP Luka07 14 518 04-12-2024, 01:58 PM
Last Post: Luka07
  Introducing the ResMed AirFit F40 MrIvanDrago 72 5,552 04-08-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: yankees123
  [Treatment] AHI under control but flow limitation issues guzzle 2 226 04-03-2024, 02:12 PM
Last Post: guzzle
  AirFit F30 current user, looking for alternatives KSMatthew 22 4,483 03-28-2024, 11:23 PM
Last Post: Lanners
  Air Mini issues Bous 0 132 03-27-2024, 08:14 AM
Last Post: Bous

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.