Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AirMini Power Consumption for Emergency Use
AirMini Power Consumption for Emergency Use
I am considering an AirMini. After reading the AirMini noise threads, I am pretty sure the noise level would be a problem. I have been using an A10 Airsense since 2015. That machine is perfect for me.

The only problem with the A10 is the power consumption during power outages. It is a power hog. The AirMini, according to its specification uses approximately 1/5 that of the A10. A much smaller battery would be able to support the AirMini. 

I could actually purchase a pretty big Lithium battery to power the A10 for less than half a full AirMini kit with mask.

Just figuring....
Sleep is worth the effort.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: AirMini Power Consumption for Emergency Use
Ross, I have a 300WH Lifepo4 battery power supply that runs my A10 for over 32hrs. When I use the additional DC to Dc converter cord. I turn the humidifier off, leave water in the tank for Passover moisture.  There’s many choices on Amazon and also other post about this subject.  My total cost was under $250.   Lifepo4 battery technology is a solid choice for this application. Also the unit weighs only 8 lbs.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a deep discharge marine battery I use with the DC to DC converter. with the humidifier and the heated hose off, I am consuming about 50 watts which works out to 6 hours. I am doing good to get that with the A10. The Resmed DC to Dc converter has an auto shut off that kicks in at 11.5 volts or so. That is a factor with a lead acid battery. I may go ahead and purchase a lithium battery and see how it works.

Thank you, Jeff
Post Reply Post Reply
Have a airsense 10.
 Uses between 6 and 8 [W] wihtout any kind of heating and humidifier turned off with water tank on with water(I dont think the water tank with humidifier off is going to affect the power draw).
Measured to a total of 47 [Wh] and 50[Wh] on 2 nights with a Shelly plug and AC(230v) to DC(24) resmed transformer.

I found a resmed battery guide:
"respshop.com/manuals/198103_battery-guide-Resmed.pdf?pdf=198103_battery-guide-Resmed"
Which halfway confirms what you are saying with a DC(12 V) to DC(24 V) converter, no heating no humidifier:
The AirMini: 4.4[W] to 9.6[W] for 6 and 20 [cm H2O] Pressure
airsense 10:  8.4[W] to 19.9[W] for 6 and 20 [cm H2O] Pressure

Not 1/5 but atleast 1/2 power draw if this is correct.

Now i have a question that i hope someon here can help me answer which i cant figure out for sure.
The DC DC converter from Resmed for the airsense 10 seems to be realy sh**ty on the conversion efficiency just from reading the label. Is this the case? Is it truly as sh**ty as the labels indicate.
And are the amazone "KFD DC Adapter Car Charger for Resmed S10" better as they seem to be from reading the information on Amazone. Have anyone tested it to confirm. And are they safe to use?
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for the very informational reply.

I have the Resmed DC to DC converter. It seems pretty efficient. At least it is only one conversion from the battery to the A10. It doesn't even get warm in use. I know that is anecdotal  bot the 124v Resmed converter gets pretty hot in use. I need to find my wattmeter to be sure. Having to do 2 conversions, battery to inverter to 124 volt Resmed converter would most definitely be more inefficient. ?

I will have to check into the KFD DC adapter. I haven't heard of it before.

When I first received my A10, I experimented with an industrial DC to DC 24v converter. It was very efficient but I couldn't figure out the control line third connection for the A10 and gave up the project.

Thanks again for the great info. More to study.
Post Reply Post Reply
The KFD DC adapter is the one many of us use and no problem so far.
Post Reply Post Reply
Very good. Thank you.

Jeff
Post Reply Post Reply

Here’s my unit with the KFD adapter.
Post Reply Post Reply
A battery such as the one in your picture seems like something that can tell you either a [Wh] or [Ah] number of used energy from fully charged. It would be very informative if you could test how much is used in a night of sleep and the number of hours you sleept without any heating or humidifying.

If the number is well bellow expected compared to that given by the Batery guide it is a safer bett to asume the offbrand DC DC converter is more efficient.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm hoping the OP does not mind my piggybacking this thread so as not to garbage up the main page. And I'm embarrassed I can't figure this out myself, I have a Technician HAM license (lowest level of knowledge license) and I should be able to figure this out myself, but I have not goofed with any of this stuff for years.

I bought this 24V, 24 AH LifePO4 battery for HAM use a couple of years ago:

https://www.amazon.com/TalentCell-Rechar...B0824S6LB2

It's not as light as something like a Medistrom, but it's also pretty economical, which is why I got it. I use a NOCO Genius 2 charger with it.

https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-GENIUS2-Full...560&sr=8-2

I may start car camping again (not backpacking or motorcycle camping, so size/weight for this is OK). I have an AirMini and am wondering how long I might expect this battery to run it?

Based on Nightynite's experience with his 300WH LifePO battery, which I think converts to about my 24AH capacity battery I might expect about 30 hours for the AS10 with no humidity, also? And maybe twice that for the AirMini?

Second, unrelated question if you know. I have the AS10 plugged into a lead/acid APC 1500VA backup UPS in case of power outages. I'm wondering if I can use that Noco Genius charger to power the battery with the ResMed AS10 DC converter also hooked up to it to be a UPS for the AS10 at home? Is that safe? I believe the Noco Genius 2 charging voltage is 13.8V, so if I hook up both the charger and the AS10, the DC converter would be pulling from 13.8V, that's not a problem, is it?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Transcend (Somnetics) Micro Power Plug Size SteadyState 6 1,790 03-25-2024, 01:14 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  Airmini noise question sfr79 38 20,285 03-20-2024, 09:22 PM
Last Post: Blausser
  Medicare Providers for Airmini Supplies knitsafghans 4 154 03-15-2024, 11:07 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Is the AirMini worth it vs. AirSense 11 labrat 10 922 02-22-2024, 05:49 PM
Last Post: Jogreentree
  Connect Medistrom Pilot 12 Plus to Airsense 11 and Airmini? ICS55 2 308 02-18-2024, 11:10 PM
Last Post: ICS55
  [CPAP] Resmed airmini noise NYKP44 0 360 02-09-2024, 01:27 PM
Last Post: NYKP44
  AirMini with Oxygen darral.freund 2 924 02-08-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: darral.freund

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.