Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AirSense 10 AutoSet and DreamStation 2 settings
AirSense 10 AutoSet and DreamStation 2 settings
I have/had a DreamStation that was recalled.  I replaced it with an AirSense, and now I've received a replacement DreamStation 2.

I've been using the EPR = 3 setting on the AirSense.  Is there an equivalent setting on the DreamStation?  I'm going to try to configure the new DreamStation 2 to the same settings I've been using on the AirSense.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: AirSense 10 AutoSet and DreamStation 2 settings
KSMatthew,

Respironics has Cflex and other xflex. I do not know the differences.

The xflex are not comparable to EPR for treatment purposes. (Which may reduce CA.)

What did you use on your old DreamStation? Was it working for you?

Can you post OSCAR of your last Dreamstation and the AirSense.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-20-2022, 12:20 AM)KeepSmiling Wrote: KSMatthew,

Respironics has Cflex and other xflex. I do not know the differences.

The xflex are not comparable to EPR for treatment purposes. (Which may reduce CA.)

What did you use on your old DreamStation?  Was it working for you?

Can you post OSCAR of your last Dreamstation and the AirSense.

I'll have to gather the data for and OSCAR report from both machines (original DreamStation and current AirSense).

When I got the AirSense, I set it as closely as possible to the DreamStation settings.  I was not using CFLex or EPR.  A couple months ago I did begin using the EPR and noticed several things:

My overall pressures went down.  I'm set for 7-10 and without EPR I was usually holding around 9.5 to 10.  With EPR=3, I'm generally in 8 range.  This has a benefit of a better mask seal with fewer leaks.  The side effect is that my obstructive events have gone down a bit but my centrals have gone up.  Back with the DreamStation I was still using 7-10 but with not pressure relief or Flex of any kind.

So - is there a way to configure the DS2 to get something equivalent to the EPR=3 behavior that I get on the AirSense?  I'm really liking the EPR for keeping my full face mask leaks to a minimum.
Post Reply Post Reply
KSMatthew,

I do not understand what you mean by [So - is there a way to configure the DS2 to get something equivalent to the EPR=3 behavior that I get on the AirSense?]

EPR is pressure support (PS). DS has a comfort feature with xflex (x is different letters).

Do you have the manual? https://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-p...tup-manual
Post Reply Post Reply
I don’t have a manual. It sounds like Flex is what I need to look at. I also need to dig up my old data from my recalled DreamStation.
Post Reply Post Reply
read the link in my previous post.
Post Reply Post Reply
Bottom line. EPR as a therapeutic tool is far more significant than what the variable flex produces. The key to the therapeutic benefits is the difference between inhale and exhale pressure, however that occurs. Flex is variable and thus inconsistent. EPR literally transforms your APAP into a BiLevel with PS limited to 1, 2, or 3.

Sorry but flex doesn't even come close.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-21-2022, 11:53 AM)Gideon Wrote: Bottom line.  EPR as a therapeutic tool is far more significant than what the variable flex produces.  The key to the therapeutic benefits is the difference between inhale and exhale pressure, however that occurs.  Flex is variable and thus inconsistent.  EPR literally transforms your APAP into a BiLevel with PS limited to 1, 2, or 3.

Sorry but flex doesn't even come close.

Well, that's less than great news.

I wasn't using any flex options on my original DS1, and was using a nasal mask (or cushions, I can't remember).  I got the AirASense and also a FFM when the DS1 was recalled.  It took me a while to settle into a good set of parameters that included EPR.  EPR did change some of my obstructive and central apnea numbers, but more importantly for me, it made the FFM much more comfortable and less likely to leak.

I haven't started up the new DS2 yet, so I'm not sure what I'll find.  I've never used a FFM with the DS1, so I don't know if any of the flex settings will make any difference at all.

What does Flex actually do?
Post Reply Post Reply
If I recall right, Flex wont show in the user menus of the DS2 unless you go into the provider mode and turn it on.
In the provider menu, you can select Off/Flex/P-Flex.
I really didnt like P-Flex, but regular Flex worked okay. In the user menu, you can then select 1,2,3 for Flex level.

Its no Resmed, but its better than nothing.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok - finally getting back to this thread.

I had a DreamStation, and I've included one of the last sets of recorded data in the attached screenshot.

When the DreamStation problems were announced, I bought a ResMed AirSense.  I've attached the last screenshot I made, a couple months ago.

One of the settings that I changed was the EPR that's available on the AirSense.

I received a new DreamStation from the recall.  I do have a backup of the settings from DreamStation #1, so I can download that info into DreamStation #2.

I did make a setting change in the ResMed, I set EPR=3 based on comments I received on this forum.  I did see and feel some advantages to this, mainly a lower average pressure that ended up minimizing air leaks in my FP Evora full face mask.

If I do setup DreamStation #2 as a backup, I'd like to get a similar result to what I get in the ResMed.  My understanding is that the DreamStation does not have a setting equivalent to the ResMed EPR.  Is there anything I can change on the new DreamStation that will mimic the behavior of what I am getting on the ResMed?

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 25 465 1 hour ago
Last Post: Old Steve
  Need help with Airsense 10 AutoSet JonUK 2 118 03-25-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: JonUK
  [Equipment] Should I turn on the AB Filter option on my AirSense 10 AutoSet for these filters? cLoo 10 840 03-22-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Switching from Dreamstation 1 to AirSense II autoset jed3 2 168 03-21-2024, 07:39 AM
Last Post: jed3
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 619 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  ResMed Airsense 10 AutoSet and Oscar Bucktilley 4 216 03-05-2024, 04:41 PM
Last Post: Bucktilley
  Dreamstation II -> AirSense 11 AutoSet todivefor 10 656 02-23-2024, 04:15 PM
Last Post: drwoodr

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.