Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AirSense 10 gone wild.
AirSense 10 gone wild.
Wakened in the night by sudden rush of pressure from my AirSense 10, I shut it down. Many attempts to get it going properly again failed.  One last effort returned it to what appears to be normal operation.

After the machine's over pressure inflated my lungs and blew out the periphery of the mask, of course loosing the seal, my first attempts to restore it to normal did not work.  They included: New mask, new hose, new filter, resets, and mask tests.  Still the machine, in mask test mode, upon inhaling, blew air out at such a high flow and pressure that air was forced painfully into my lungs and no mask seal could be achieved. Over 10 years of CPAP therapy has not been met with such a predicament.

I ceased using it, got out an old CPAP for backup, and sought advice.

The day before the blowout, I had replaced the water tank.  Although properly inserted, it was not sealing to the ports.  I worked it in and out, then shoved it forcibly into the receiver ports.  The pressure output returned to normal.

This AirSense 10 is one month away from advisable service life end, i.e. 5 years.  My DME is out of stock of that model.

The old back up unit produces such a bad smell I did not want to use it.  With the AirSense behaving out of sorts, even though back to normal pressure, I'm afraid to use it, so I may cease therapy until I can sort this predicament out.

I am waiting on my prescription to be delivered to a new DME that has AirSense units in stock.

My second backup CPAP is a Philips recall.  I got the replacement ball rolling on it only to find that Philips says I have no recourse due to the machine being over the suggested 5 year service limit.

I have offered to walk-in and buy for cash from a local DME, a new AirSense but that DME, says they must have my prescription, they are waiting upon from my pulmonologist doctor's office, before I can buy anything.

It has been over ten years since I started CPAP therapy.  Not once has anyone involved offered advice, looked at sleep data reports, asked for reports, checked equipment, asked how my therapy is going....nothing.  Attending annual pulmonologist visits for over 10 years, I get asked one thing, "Do you use your CPAP 4 or more hours per day?"  I answer yes, leave, then return a year later.

It is only through a fellow CPAP user that advice was given to check the water tank's seal.  

It will be about a month before I, maybe, get a new machine.  I may buy two...one for backup.

This post is to share an experience.  If you have anything similar to share, or advice to give please do.  My biggest concern at the moment is if this dated AirSense 10 may inflate my lungs again in the night.  The machine could be dangerous after nearly 5 years of very good service.  I think even with a failed seal at the water tank it should have not gone into top pressure, beyond the max setting, and remained there.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: AirSense 10 gone wild.
If you are willing to pay out of pocket then you can get a copy of your prescription and order a machine from one of the online suppliers from the Supplier List. Probably be cheaper than buying from a local DME.
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching screenshots and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Years of service on a CPAP is meaningless. My Vauto is at least 7 years old and has 21,903 run hours. The "Motor Life Exceeded" error showed up for the first time this morning.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
My 7 year old Air Sense 10 showed the motor expired January 2022. Probably had shown the error for some time but I never looked at the screen. Anyway took 8 months to get Air Sense 11. BTW, it had 25,412 hours and was still working quite well. Happy with Air Sense 11 as it matches the décor of my bedroom better than the Air Sense 10 ;-) Keeping Air Sense 10 as a backup.
Post Reply Post Reply
The flow/pressure problem was due to the water tank not sealing.
Post Reply Post Reply
The fact that you said high pressure blew out the seal tells me that your settings were most likely not optimized for you and not eliminating the events that were occuring and the algorithms reacted by increasing pressure.

On pressure, I'm not saying you didn't have pressure issues but ALL CPAP machines are designed to prevent high pressures.  To get a practical understanding of the pressures involved please try this.  

Get a tall glass of water and a straw, now simply, with the straw inserted to near the bottom and blow bubbles.  Any issues?  There never are.  You just experienced exhaling, assuming 8 inches deep, against the maximum pressure a CPAP can produce, 20 cm of water.  Im azed that such a small pressure can make a big difference.
Post Reply Post Reply
The settings were no higher than what has been usual for a few months, and were working fine until the water tank seal issue.

Once the water tank was worked in and out of its receiver and clicked into place again, a seal was made and the machine returned to normal operation. 

While the tank was not sealing, higher than I've ever experienced, air flow/pressure was coming from the mask upon each inhale.  At exhale it calmed down.  Holding my breath I could not keep the mask sealed, exhale would relieve the pressure from the inhale.  A rush of air causing pain, blown out cheeks, feeling as if my lungs were being inflated, and the mask periphery to blow out from my face happened with each inhale.  This caused me to think the machine had possibly gone to max flow/pressure or beyond due to a malfunction.
Post Reply Post Reply
Assuming the pressures indicated in your profile are correct the CPAP would not have produced a pressure beyond 10 cmw.  Flow, on the other hand, the blower will max on flow based on the blower capacity, in an attempt to maintain that 10 cmw of pressure.  For pressure to go above that would mean your CPAP had a major malfunction and the blown seal was not the cause of the pressure increase.

Chipmunk cheeks implies that your palate did not properly seal to prevent it.   If you continue to have this issue you will need to temporarily reduce the pressure to where this is not a problem, possibly change your mask, and then very slowly increase pressure back to therapeutic values.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-06-2023, 03:47 PM)withtao Wrote: My 7 year old Air Sense 10 showed the motor expired January 2022. Probably had shown the error for some time but I never looked at the screen.  Anyway took 8 months to get Air Sense 11.  BTW, it had 25,412 hours and was still working quite well.  Happy with Air Sense 11 as it matches the décor of my bedroom better than the Air Sense 10 ;-)  Keeping Air Sense 10 as a backup.

My Airsense 10 has thrown the expire error, but not so sure about the 11 because I use the heated hose and they got rid of the right angle. I only fill my 10 tank half way, so the spilling shouldn't be an issue. In any case will keep my 10 as a backup. Good machine.

Tom
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-06-2023, 02:30 AM)ejbpesca Wrote: Wakened in the night by sudden rush of pressure from my AirSense 10, I shut it down. Many attempts to get it going properly again failed.  One last effort returned it to what appears to be normal operation.

After the machine's over pressure inflated my lungs and blew out the periphery of the mask, of course loosing the seal, my first attempts to restore it to normal did not work.  They included: New mask, new hose, new filter, resets, and mask tests.  Still the machine, in mask test mode, upon inhaling, blew air out at such a high flow and pressure that air was forced painfully into my lungs and no mask seal could be achieved. Over 10 years of CPAP therapy has not been met with such a predicament.

I ceased using it, got out an old CPAP for backup, and sought advice.

The day before the blowout, I had replaced the water tank.  Although properly inserted, it was not sealing to the ports.  I worked it in and out, then shoved it forcibly into the receiver ports.  The pressure output returned to normal.

This AirSense 10 is one month away from advisable service life end, i.e. 5 years.  My DME is out of stock of that model.

The old back up unit produces such a bad smell I did not want to use it.  With the AirSense behaving out of sorts, even though back to normal pressure, I'm afraid to use it, so I may cease therapy until I can sort this predicament out.

I am waiting on my prescription to be delivered to a new DME that has AirSense units in stock.

My second backup CPAP is a Philips recall.  I got the replacement ball rolling on it only to find that Philips says I have no recourse due to the machine being over the suggested 5 year service limit.

I have offered to walk-in and buy for cash from a local DME, a new AirSense but that DME, says they must have my prescription, they are waiting upon from my pulmonologist doctor's office, before I can buy anything.

It has been over ten years since I started CPAP therapy.  Not once has anyone involved offered advice, looked at sleep data reports, asked for reports, checked equipment, asked how my therapy is going....nothing.  Attending annual pulmonologist visits for over 10 years, I get asked one thing, "Do you use your CPAP 4 or more hours per day?"  I answer yes, leave, then return a year later.

It is only through a fellow CPAP user that advice was given to check the water tank's seal.  

It will be about a month before I, maybe, get a new machine.  I may buy two...one for backup.

This post is to share an experience.  If you have anything similar to share, or advice to give please do.  My biggest concern at the moment is if this dated AirSense 10 may inflate my lungs again in the night.  The machine could be dangerous after nearly 5 years of very good service.  I think even with a failed seal at the water tank it should have not gone into top pressure, beyond the max setting, and remained there.
Thanks, your post and responses from others solved problem with my airsense 10. Reseated the water chamber a couple times and machine returned to normal operation.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 614 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  Need Input on AirSense 10 vs AirSense 11 b4 Ordering New CPAP mdmarmd 13 2,183 01-14-2024, 04:11 PM
Last Post: scowell
  Adding a true HEPA filter to APAP for california wild fire smoke Stom 25 5,805 03-23-2023, 09:15 AM
Last Post: JLRINCT
  [Equipment] Need help choosing between Airsense 10 C2C or regular Airsense 10/11 dabrat76 10 1,625 03-16-2023, 08:20 AM
Last Post: dabrat76
  Airsense 11: SmartStart is Off, but Airsense keeps turning on by itself kklein 4 3,486 03-09-2023, 08:34 PM
Last Post: kklein
  DOWNLOADING DATA FROM AIRSENSE 10 to AIRSENSE 11 Sleepyguy39 1 1,115 10-21-2022, 07:24 PM
Last Post: pholynyk
Question [CPAP] Airsense 10 without wireless vs Airsense 11 sleepysurgeon 12 3,408 07-14-2022, 08:30 AM
Last Post: Horseshoez

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.