Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Aircurve10 ASV: Sleepyhead v ResScan UA's are OA's
Aircurve10 ASV: Sleepyhead v ResScan UA's are OA's
in case the image insert failed..Versions of each noted in the screen shot.

Screenshot is dual monitor, ResScan on left, SH on right..

also note - area shown is while machine was in auto ASV.. was changed back to 'prescription values' (shown) at 7am ish

Around 00:50 - 00:51 in REM, but upper airways closed for a minute.. Machine tries to actively ventilate : no flow with pressure change.

after a minute patient breathes with a snort, gasps and closes airways with his fat tongue..  repeat.

Please try to avoid the diagnosis.. I want to first drill into what is actually being reported in the data and why it reports as unknown in sleepyhead instead of obstructed.
[Image: ULoz3]
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Aircurve10 ASV: Sleepyhead v ResScan UA's are OA's
Mike, the ASV does not use the FOT (forced oscillation technique) to determine the type of apnea. All other Resmed machines do this except the lowest end CPAP. The reason is that the machine must assume each apnea is a central in order to deliver a timely application of pressure support to keep central patients breathing. Since it does not probe the airway with FOT, it classifies the apnea as "unknown", but most of the time we can assume it is obstructive because of the lack of response to PS.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The current  ResScan glossary doesnt have an "UA - unknown apnea" called out - unless of course I missed it..  ResScan doesnt type identify it either apparently like it does with hyopnea.. apparently..  There is probably an event code which Sleephead is lumping into the UA category.  Sleepyhead is easier to use, thats for sure..

There's an older definition floating around the web saying that UA's are events which cant be categorized since they end in a "leak".. I'll try to remind myself not to gasp after seeping with my lungs deflated for a minute at a time Smile..  oh wait..  If I could do that, I probably could convince myself to quit forcefully shutting my airways so hard..  

I see your point here in the differences between the airflow and airsense 10 machines  (search "CSA det")..

(Now I wonder if there is some magic that the "Sense" can do that the "Curve" cannot..  I doubt that any sane amount of air pressure could hold open airways which are "ordered" shut..   I still have to get a good baseline on myself.. less than a week on the machine..  I may run a camera from overhead to see if I'm doing an unexpected exorcist type head twist - which I doubt.. A closed airway between breaths seems reflexive to me ( not swallow, but breathe out and hold))..
Post Reply Post Reply
None of the Curve machines do RERA either. No big deal, but some people like that. In your case the UA as obstructive has a lot of clues that show what it is, like the abrubt recovery breaths, and apnea commencing on exhale, rather than tapering. You really don't need a machine to tell you what it is, it just takes some practice; and some people find the FOT pulses disruptive. One more thing, the machine apnea classifications tend to be pretty good, but they are not infallible. It really helps to look closely at the flow line and make sure that the machine is getting it right and it makes sense.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you have positional obstruction and the airway is restricted eg. bringing your chin to your chest et al. The machine can't treat the apnea, even at it's max set pressure.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ResScan 7 help! [password issues] DakotaNorth 2 94 03-26-2024, 12:42 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Cannot import data from ResMed Astral 150 to ResScan or OSCAR BreatheEZ 8 2,338 03-16-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: PappaJoe
  Does ResScan delete detailed logs/records from the SD card after downloading them? Determinism 5 179 03-15-2024, 05:40 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  ResScan 7.1 nawolfor 2 374 02-26-2024, 10:29 PM
  NOTICE: ResScan 7.1 Software now available [for ResMed machines only] SuperSleeper 0 436 02-26-2024, 10:27 PM
Thumbsup ResScan 7.0 now available! [old version] SuperSleeper 54 17,629 12-30-2023, 07:44 PM
Last Post: jocemar
  ResMed AirCurve10 ASV Has Wrong Date jimchi 4 745 06-27-2023, 12:52 PM
Last Post: Dog Slobber

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.