Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Airmini noise question
Airmini noise question
I just got an Airmini and tried it out for the first time last night. Used my P10 mask, along with a Zephair adapter that allows connecting any normal mask to the airmini's proprietary connector. Verdict after one night -- it is loud. Specifically, when inhaling, there is a loud, "sharp" noise coming out of the P10's vent ports. With my Airsense 10, the noise is a softer, hollow-sounding white noise. With the Airmini, it's more aggressive, grating, and louder, to the point that it disturbs my sleep. 

After a restless night's sleep, I popped on my N30i nasal mask, hoping the aforementioned inhalation sound at the mask would be less disturbing, but it was no better.

My question is, for those of you using one of the special Airmini masks (not an adapter as I am), is the inhalation noise any better? In other words, is the noise I'm hearing attributable to the fact that I'm not using a mask specifically designed for the Airmini?

I'm considering a few options, and your input would be helpful in deciding the best course of action:

1. ditch the Zephair adapter and buy an Airmini P10
2. purchase a Q-Lite CPAP muffler and see if that changes the volume or tenor of the inhalation sound enough to make it bearable
3. wear earplugs any time I travel with the Airmini

As always, appreciate any thoughts or suggestions,

Cheers!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Airmini noise question
I just went through the same experience as you. I used the Zephair adapter and found my Dreamwear masks very loud, couldn't sleep at all. The dedicated Mini hose is much better. I'm new to CPAP, waiting for a ResMed Airsense 11 while I use the Mini. I'm looking forward to trying all my other new masks once my Airsense 11 arrives. But for now, dedicated Air Mini hoses, unless anyone else has other ideas?
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-27-2022, 05:39 AM)Tom899 Wrote: I just went through the same experience as you. I used the Zephair adapter and found my Dreamwear masks very loud, couldn't sleep at all. The dedicated Mini hose is much better. I'm new to CPAP, waiting for a ResMed Airsense 11 while I use the Mini. I'm looking forward to trying all my other new masks once my Airsense 11 arrives. But for now, dedicated Air Mini hoses, unless anyone else has other ideas?

Thanks for the confirmation Tom. Are you using it with the humidifier cartridge, or without? Any difference in noise with and without the humidX cartridge in place?

I'm still on the fence but leaning towards purchasing the Airmini P10 starter pack to see how it goes. Does anyone know of a supplier that offers no-risk returns on the Airmini fit packs? Most seem to be on standard mask purchases only.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm using the Humidity cartridge, haven't tried it without.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just to put in my $.02. I have an older Transcend Travel CPAP with a water humidifier.  While on an extended trip recently, the humidifier part went bananas, could not control humidity (was either full on or full off).  Since I normally use a P10 mask on my AirSense 10 at home, I decided to overnight order the AirMini P10 mask with HumidX (I cannot tolerate no humidity).  I used an adapter to connect the mask/tubing to my Transcend.  Long story short, the AirMini P10 mask was loud.  I can hear a loud air rush noise every time I inhaled.  Good thing I was tired throughout the trip that I was able to get over it and sleep fairly decent.  The HumidX was another story.  It barely gave me the humidity I needed (actually used the Plus version too) even with a room humidifier turned on.  Good enough in a pinch but probably not for more than 3-4 days at a time.  Using some earplugs may do the trick.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've been going back and forth between my P30i mask and the Bleep system, using an adapter and a normal hose (not the Airmini hose). No humidifier. With the P30i, it is noisy. With Bleep, it is very quiet. Others have also reported that Bleep with Airmini is quiet, but I'm not yet ready to stop using my P30i.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-31-2022, 02:02 PM)jas32 Wrote: Just to put in my $.02. I have an older Transcend Travel CPAP with a water humidifier.  While on an extended trip recently, the humidifier part went bananas, could not control humidity (was either full on or full off).  Since I normally use a P10 mask on my AirSense 10 at home, I decided to overnight order the AirMini P10 mask with HumidX (I cannot tolerate no humidity).  I used an adapter to connect the mask/tubing to my Transcend.  Long story short, the AirMini P10 mask was loud.  I can hear a loud air rush noise every time I inhaled.  Good thing I was tired throughout the trip that I was able to get over it and sleep fairly decent.  The HumidX was another story.  It barely gave me the humidity I needed (actually used the Plus version too) even with a room humidifier turned on.  Good enough in a pinch but probably not for more than 3-4 days at a time.  Using some earplugs may do the trick.

Thanks for the info. Already packed several pairs of earplugs -- should be no trouble sleeping with them in. I think I'm going the earplug route for the time being -- I really like my P10 and don't want to change masks if I can avoid it.
Post Reply Post Reply
I just got my Air Mini. I don't pretend to understand all of the jargon on this thread, I've only ever used a Resmed Airsense 10 which has worked quite well and was extremely quiet. My Air Mini is noisy when breathing in, I get 40 decibels, which is twice as loud as the 30 decibels advertised. (Each increase of 10 dB doubles the volume).  It is the same with or without the humidifier. I haven't figured out how to adjust the pressure yet but will try that. It came factory set at a pressure of 4.
Post Reply Post Reply
Okay I've been learning more (including that there is an app). I saw on the app that my pressure was set between 5 - 20. I lowered it to 5 - 10, and the decibels went down to a max of 35. So a big improvement but still a bit noisy. I will continue to play with it.
Post Reply Post Reply
I purchased the AirMini, along with the Airmini P10 kit, a few weeks ago.  I've tried the AirMini P10 a few times, and each time, I find it to be noisy.  I then purchased the "N20 connector" (about $20) which allows you to use the N20 with the AirMini tubing.  The N20 was slightly less noisy, but still noisy. The majority of the noise appears to be coming from the assembly that holds the HumidX cartridge.  I have tried both masks (P10 and N20) with and without a HumidX cartridge and did not find the noise to be much different.    I also purchased the Zephair adapter.  The first night I attempted using it with the Bleep and found it was OK - less noisy than the AirMini-specific masks, but still noisy.  I then purchased the Q-Tube light muffler.  I've tried the Q-Tube muffler with the regular P10, bleep, and (just this weekend) the Brevida.    In my opinion, the combination of the Zephair and Q-Tube seems the be the best solution.  While the Bleep seems to be the quietest of the bunch, I had great luck with the Brevida.     

I wish the AirMini masks were quieter as I think the tubing that comes with them is very soft, flexible, and rolls up much smaller than the ResMed SlimLine tubing that I had laying around.  I am now on the search for a 'standard' hose to use with the Zephair.  I've recently tried the slim Breas tubing (made for the Z1/Z2) and find that to be close, but still not as soft. 

I also recently tried the Transcend Micro.  While it was very small, it didn't work for me, and I sent it back fairly quickly (just didn't breathe right for me).  In my (limited) experience, the AirMini is a great option for travelers who are looking to travel as minimally as possible.    I've traveled a few times with my AirCurve, but really trying to reduce what I have to carry.

Hope this helps!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 85 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Medicare Providers for Airmini Supplies knitsafghans 4 146 03-15-2024, 11:07 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Breas Z2 - mask question/air noise sallym 0 141 03-07-2024, 04:17 PM
Last Post: sallym
  [Equipment] Loud noise from AirFit F20 mask SleepyLuke 2 1,602 03-04-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: SleepyLuke
  Is the AirMini worth it vs. AirSense 11 labrat 10 906 02-22-2024, 05:49 PM
Last Post: Jogreentree
  Connect Medistrom Pilot 12 Plus to Airsense 11 and Airmini? ICS55 2 306 02-18-2024, 11:10 PM
Last Post: ICS55
  [CPAP] Resmed airmini noise NYKP44 0 356 02-09-2024, 01:27 PM
Last Post: NYKP44

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.