Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Airmini noise question
RE: Airmini noise question
I have tried a Q-lite muffler which does help reduce noise somewhat, however the new V-Com device which is used to soften airflow reduces noise to an almost normal level with a standard P-10 mask. Be aware that with the V-Com, I almost feel starved for air. With that said, I have read that you should up your pressure when using it. I have only tried it a few times, but wanted to make mention that it has the biggest effect on noise reduction that I have found for my Airmini.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-28-2023, 04:46 PM)sfr79 Wrote: I would strongly recommend you give the official Airmini version hose + mask a try before you give up -- Im not sure why it's so much quieter but it's a huge difference.

Well, I'm using the N20 mask, and I have the N20 hose and adapter kit. Even with the official AirMini hose and mask adapter, it is noisy as hell, and I have a hard time sleeping with it. The only difference between the AirMini hose kit and the 22 mm hose+adapter is the source of the noise. With the official hose, the HumidX adapter is the noisy part (makes no difference whether there is a humidifier insert present in the adapter or not), while with the 22 mm hose the noise comes from the vent holes in the knee joint of the mask adapter. Same type of noise, approximately same volume.

Oh well, unless I can get hold of a muffler that works adequately, I will have to lug muy S9 along, and wait for Philips to reintroduce their DreamStation Go.
Post Reply Post Reply
I recently ordered the AirMini for travel and it is going back, thankfully for the 30 day trial period.
I use the AirTouch F20 full face mask with a Dream Station 2 and it is whisper quiet. Using the basic startup hoses for the F20 with the AirMini, I tested it at home and lasted about 5 minutes before going straight back to my Dream Station. The noise coming out of this thing was unbearable. As many have posted, the machine itself isn't noisy, but it's the air coming out of the exhaust ports on the elbow connector. I realized that the elbow that comes with the AirMini is NOT the QuietAir elbow, so I decided to try an adapter to use my regular hose and QuietAir elbow on my F20. Nope, same amount of noise coming out of that thing.

I am returning the AirMini and going to try the Z2 in hopes that it might be a bit quieter.
Post Reply Post Reply
Will q-lite muffler reduce the treatment pressure or air flow due to its function of reduce noise ?
I searched on google, it has baffle foam inside, which I am not sure how its durability is and if it will come to similar result like Philips foam gate.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-06-2023, 11:38 AM)JCW888 Wrote: Will q-lite muffler reduce the treatment pressure or air flow due to its function of reduce noise ?
I searched on google, it has baffle foam inside, which I am not sure how its durability is and if it will come to similar result like Philips foam gate.

When I used the q-lite muffler, I did not notice any reduction in pressure.  Essentially, it's a tube with foam around the sides and it does not reduce the diameter.  I've now had the AirMini for well over a year and used it on many trips (some well over two weeks).  In the beginning, I thought that it would be hard to adapt to the ResMed tube and masks, but in practice I have found that I very quickly adapted to the noise present  with the ResMed tube and masks and that it does not affect my sleep at all.  Yes, the first few nights, the noise is noticeable, but I have adjusted well and it is no longer an issue for me.  I no longer am using any muffler and standard hose.  The benefit of the ResMed hose is that it is (a bit) narrower and I save some space by not having to carry the muffler and larger standard CPAP hose.
Post Reply Post Reply
I noticed that it seemed your main machine to be bipap as ST.
How you feel while using regular apap as Airmini during travel ? 
I am considering buying Airmini but my main machine is Resmed VAuto as bipap also.
I am afraid that I might be able adapt to Airmini,not sure if anyone can share some thoughts
Post Reply Post Reply
I found that I was easily able to adapt to the AirMini. With max EPR on the AirMini, there is a difference of 3 between IPAP and EPAP and this is probably lower than the PS on your bipap machine, but I found that I was easily able to adapt and my AHI was not affected.  Actually, I sometimes see lower AHI when using the AirMini than the ST at home.  Of course, there could be many other factors affecting AHI.

What I mention above is my experience and yours may be different.
Post Reply Post Reply
THIS WORKED TO SIGNIFCANTLY REDUCE THE NOISE COMING FROM THE AREA OF MY MASK CONNECTOR WHILE USING THE AIR MINI. MY PROJECT COST WAS $70 + multiple shipping fees.

1 x Q-Lite In-Line CPAP Muffler By Breas ($20 + shipping)
1 x Air Mini CPAP Tubing Connector Adapter (I purchased the new version WQ22New available at respshop.com for $13 + shipping)
1 x Universal CPAP Tubing – 6 feet ($10 + shipping)
You need an elbow piece to connect your universal CPAP tubing to your mask. For me, that’s the ResMed F20 QuietAir Elbow ($27 + shipping).

In order, you attach the connector adapter to the Air Mini. Then you connect the short tubing that came with the Q-Lite. Then you attach the Q-Lite. Then you attach your long tubing. Finally you attach the elbow connector and your mask.

You will not be able to use heated tubing with the Q-Lite. Your tubing must have a rubber gasket at both ends.
Post Reply Post Reply
Do you have a photo of the setup?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 89 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Medicare Providers for Airmini Supplies knitsafghans 4 149 03-15-2024, 11:07 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Breas Z2 - mask question/air noise sallym 0 142 03-07-2024, 04:17 PM
Last Post: sallym
  [Equipment] Loud noise from AirFit F20 mask SleepyLuke 2 1,603 03-04-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: SleepyLuke
  Is the AirMini worth it vs. AirSense 11 labrat 10 914 02-22-2024, 05:49 PM
Last Post: Jogreentree
  Connect Medistrom Pilot 12 Plus to Airsense 11 and Airmini? ICS55 2 308 02-18-2024, 11:10 PM
Last Post: ICS55
  [CPAP] Resmed airmini noise NYKP44 0 356 02-09-2024, 01:27 PM
Last Post: NYKP44

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.