Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Airsense 9 and 10 Motor Anatomy. Yes, it is possible to change the bearings...
Airsense 9 and 10 Motor Anatomy. Yes, it is possible to change the bearings...
Machine had done 6500 hours, and is only a couple of years old. But the 'whine' from the motor was quite noticable and likely to keep the user awake.  

I already ordered and fitted a new motor from AliExpress - just over a week to arrive.  Not much more than 20 minutes to change - easy job, as I had  previously opened-up the machine to clean and sanitise the airpath, and give the foams a good wash and rinse.   Machine is now very quiet indeed.  Motor noise can only be heard if you put your ear to the air intake. (There is a very slight whine, which can only be due to bearing noise!)

Re-furbish the old motor?

Changing the  bearings  does appear to be do-able. Biggest difficulty in disassembly may be the need to make a puller to remove the bearing races from the shaft.

I removed both ends of the outer housing with a Dremel tool and  cutoff wheel.   Fans are a push-fit at each end of the armature.

Larger bearing and armature retained by a plastic ring - easily removed by cutting off the retainig tags with a craft-knife. Could be epoxied or CA glued in place on reassembly.

Larger bearing is an R 13400HH - the smaller bearing, I would need to make a puller to get it off and measure it / read the number.  But looks like it is 4mm ID,  9mm OD.

One advantage of doing the work would be having the choice to use some high-quality SKF or other bearings - which might mean the motor is better than new!

Hope this may be of interest?

Cheers   Smile
 “Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.”   - DH  Lawrence

oldman
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Airsense 9 and 10 Motor Anatomy. Yes, it is possible to change the bearings...
Thanks for that, very interesting.

It could also be interesting to try that level of disassembly, just to properly clean a pre-used Motor. But, having gone that far just to clean one, it would be a shame not to also change the Bearings whilst it is apart. I appreciate cost is a factor but, someone must try this!

I may try, as I have one Motor that whines badly in a test S10 I have, so that one is an obvious candidate for a rebuild with new bearings.

Getting around to doing this is my main issue, but I do have a Dremel so, it would be a shame not to at least try!

MoreBeers
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Suggested Settings Switching AirSense 10 CPAP to AirSense 11 APAP Rickyricardo 2 81 Yesterday, 11:58 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  ResMed blower motor disassembly PinehillJoe 3 89 04-15-2024, 09:54 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
Question Help - Mask change causing fatigue? coffee9724 3 224 04-15-2024, 09:01 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  [How to] Fix Your Own Noisy CPAP - Don't discard old CPAP with worn bearings SuperSleeper 3 16,831 04-15-2024, 08:35 PM
Last Post: PinehillJoe
  Oscar 1.4.0 software time change keithy62 2 123 04-12-2024, 05:14 AM
Last Post: keithy62
  ResMed Humidifier Tub Change? Reesche 12 374 04-09-2024, 12:46 AM
Last Post: Reesche
  S9 Blower Motor vk3hjq 106 16,998 04-06-2024, 12:18 PM
Last Post: Restrepo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.