Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Airsense humidifier leak....:(
RE: Airsense humidifier leak....:(
I have had my first humidifier since it was dispensed to me about a year ago but that one was 'resting' for the 3 months I used the 'Autoset for her' with its own humidifier. One thing to note was that the new chamber did not come out as easily from the main 'for her body' as the first one does from the air sense elite. It was the first thing I noticed but tolerated it for the next 3 months use.

So somehow the production of the second chamber was not as well checked.
Sleepyhead in 5 easy steps
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have two humidifiers for my cpap machine. One came with the machine and the other humidifier I purchased from Supplier #1 about a month after I got my machine - which was approximately one year ago. I alternate humidifiers, giving one time to dry out before I use it again. This morning I was preparing the 'dishwasher safe' one I purchased from Supplier #1 for use tonight by filling it about half full with water. I placed it on my kitchen counter on top of a paper towel and left it there. It sat there less than an hour and there was leaking all over the paper towel. So at least I now know which humidifier is responsible for the mess on my nightstand. I hope my information will save someone else from having a nightstand ruined by their humidifier leaking.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sometimes the silicone seal between the two haves gets damaged, sometimes the seals inside the machines chamber can get damaged, but it will most likely be the metal bottom of the humidifier tank separating from the plastic, check for a crack along the metal in the tank.  If in doubt replace the tank and keep the other as a spare, if replacing it solves the problem, dump the old tank.
Check the seals for problems first. if you can't see anything that might have caused a problem get a now humidifier tank.
Just as an after thought, I found water oozing out the hose joint where it attaches to the machine (I assume it was condensation coming back down the hose) but I doubt it would be enough to soak the stand.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-27-2018, 10:17 AM)Sleep2Snore Wrote: Sometimes the silicone seal between the two haves gets damaged, sometimes the seals inside the machines chamber can get damaged, but it will most likely be the metal bottom of the humidifier tank separating from the plastic, check for a crack along the metal in the tank.  If in doubt replace the tank and keep the other as a spare, if replacing it solves the problem, dump the old tank.
Check the seals for problems first. if you can't see anything that might have caused a problem get a now humidifier tank.
Just as an after thought, I found water oozing out the hose joint where it attaches to the machine (I assume  it was condensation coming back down the hose) but I doubt it would be enough to soak the stand.

Your suggestions are excellent.  I also checked the reviews on both Amazon and eBay and it seems that leaking is a common problem from anywhere from 2 weeks up to 6 months after the product was started to be used.  Are these humidifiers supposed to be replaced periodically?  If so, my DME has never mentioned that fact to me.  My humidifier is less than 4 months old and already leaking.  It so happens that my nightstand is not really fine furniture, but what if it was nice wood like maple or oak?  Believe me when I say it is completely ruined.  I am afraid to buy a new chamber because where do you buy one that isn't going to leak all over.
Post Reply Post Reply
4 months is very poor.  They do need changed, but I would hope to get a year out of it before needing replaced.
However, I suppose there are a few out there that do not reach their design failure age.
I am not in America, but I would contact your DME and say it is leaking water everywhere.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-26-2018, 01:48 PM)GrammaBear Wrote: This morning when I removed the humidifier chamber from my machine, I discovered moisture inside the place where you place the humidifier.  I also noticed moisture on the nightstand around and underneath the cpap machine.  I had the humidity level set at 5 out of a possible 8.  I only fill the water tank to just below the "fill" line.  Can anyone think of what I did wrong or where to troubleshoot this problem?  My nightstand with the cpap machine is about level with my bed so I don't think it got disturbed during the night.  Is it possible the machine might leak somewhere internally?

Just a question:  Did you at any time put the humidifier tank into a dishwasher to clean it or pour boiling water into it?
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-27-2018, 11:08 AM)Marillion Wrote:
(03-26-2018, 01:48 PM)GrammaBear Wrote: This morning when I removed the humidifier chamber from my machine, I discovered moisture inside the place where you place the humidifier.  I also noticed moisture on the nightstand around and underneath the cpap machine.  I had the humidity level set at 5 out of a possible 8.  I only fill the water tank to just below the "fill" line.  Can anyone think of what I did wrong or where to troubleshoot this problem?  My nightstand with the cpap machine is about level with my bed so I don't think it got disturbed during the night.  Is it possible the machine might leak somewhere internally?

Just a question:  Did you at any time put the humidifier tank into a dishwasher to clean it or pour boiling water into it?

I don't have a dishwasher as I always hand wash my dishes.  I ordered the dishwasher safe chamber because I thought it might be a bit more hardy, and No, I have never poured boiling water into it.
Post Reply Post Reply
I contacted Supplier #1 about this issue with the water chamber leaking. They have generously offered to replace the dishwasher safe chamber with a standard water chamber. They also told me that the standard water chamber has less problems with leaking than the dishwasher safe chamber in case anyone wants to know. It is a pleasure to do business with a company that actually cares about providing good customer service.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-27-2018, 11:28 AM)GrammaBear Wrote:
(03-27-2018, 11:08 AM)Marillion Wrote:

I don't have a dishwasher as I always hand wash my dishes.  I ordered the dishwasher safe chamber because I thought it might be a bit more hardy, and No, I have never poured boiling water into it.

Thanks for the reply.  In that case I have no other suggestion than to replace it.  The only thing I am wondering about now is if there are more failures with the dishwasher safe version vs the regular version...
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-27-2018, 11:36 AM)Marillion Wrote:
(03-27-2018, 11:28 AM)GrammaBear Wrote:
(03-27-2018, 11:08 AM)Marillion Wrote: Just a question:  Did you at any time put the humidifier tank into a dishwasher to clean it or pour boiling water into it?

Thanks for the reply.  In that case I have no other suggestion than to replace it.  The only thing I am wondering about now is if there are more failures with the dishwasher safe version vs the regular version...

Judging from my email conversation with the supplier, it does appear that the dishwasher version has more issues than the standard version.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 231 Yesterday, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,407 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 612 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 139 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Large leak panic sleepingbetterinFl 3 147 03-19-2024, 07:48 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Please, need help reading the leak rate and LL info chronic 4 132 03-18-2024, 08:05 AM
Last Post: chronic
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 754 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.