Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Airsense rainout: I give up, so back it goes.
Airsense rainout: I give up, so back it goes.
More rainout last night. not a lot, but enough to get the knocking noise in the hose as the water puddles/moves around.

I have tried tweaking settings, using a hose cover and even replaced the tube, all to no effect. I didn't have so much trouble with rainout when using my old S9, strangely, so I'm starting to wonder if there's a QA problem with current build Autosense? Though it seems like it's a common problem with the Airsense, it's not universal problem, suggesting it isn't a design problem.

So I called my supplier in Sydney and they told me to send the machine back for evaluation. I will report the outcome for those who might have the same issue.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Airsense rainout: I give up, so back it goes.
Does your hose run uphill and then back down to your mask? Simple question I know, but important. 

My machine rests on a bedside stand. The hose runs uphill (at least a 45-50 degree angle) to the hose hanger mounted on top of our headboard. It then obviously, runs straight down to my mask. 

Never had a rain-out issue at all that way.
Post Reply Post Reply
No, it's more or less level. I think Resmed say that the machine should be higher than your head, because water cannot re-enter the chamber due to the design? I know that was the case with my old S9. Is the Airsense different?

That said, I use a lovely antique mahogany herb cabinet alongside my bed, that I would be loathe to move :-)
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi SteveSP, is the hose heated? I know zero about the machine you list.
What is your level of humidity on the machine?
Bedroom humidity?
Bedroom temperature?
Adelaide has been both cold and humid this winter but I've been gurgle free this year.
Post Reply Post Reply
When I picked up my machine, the RT told me how to place it, among other instructions and tips. He told me to insure that the hose runs uphill. Initially, the first two weeks or so, the hose just ran over to the bed and laid on top of me.

I got tired of that nonsense pretty quick. I then decided to fabricate my own hose holder / hanger. BIG, BIG improvement in comfort and hose management. 

I can't speak to what ResMed may say, but I do know the way it is now, it works great.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-25-2020, 09:14 PM)SleepinginAdelaide Wrote: Hi SteveSP, is the hose heated? I know zero about the machine you list.
What is your level of humidity on the machine?
Bedroom humidity?
Bedroom temperature?
Adelaide has been both cold and humid this winter but I've been gurgle free this year.

Yes, it has a heated hose. Humidity is set somewhere in the middle, tube temp 28C or so. I've tried other settings. I have no idea what the room humidity is but temp in the early hours drops to around 10C (at the lowest) I would guess.

This machine has been troublesome with respect to rainout since I got it in the summer, when humidity was relatively high and room temp >18C.

I also find that the Airsense is less effective in preventing dry mouth, which makes little sense because it is using 96% of the water. I'm baffled.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-25-2020, 09:17 PM)Big Guy Wrote: When I picked up my machine, the RT told me how to place it, among other instructions and tips. He told me to insure that the hose runs uphill. Initially, the first two weeks or so, the hose just ran over to the bed and laid on top of me.

I got tired of that nonsense pretty quick. I then decided to fabricate my own hose holder / hanger. BIG, BIG improvement in comfort and hose management. 

I can't speak to what ResMed may say, but I do know the way it is now, it works great.

The risk of course is that water might not have an easy path back into the tank and instead leak onto the heater plate, or pool somewhere. I should go and peer inside it. On the Devilbiss, the water ran straight back into the tank - it couldn't go anywhere else.

I have most of the hose under the covers, next to my body, and the machine quite close to the bed so that very little of the hose is out in the 'cold' room, so to speak.

>EDIT<

I've looked at the machine and it seems to me that water running back down the hose can only go into the tank. I have emailed the folks I bought the machine from (my experience is that Resmed in Australia either don't respond or literally take weeks to get back to me) asking if they have any advice in this regard.

If I CAN just lower the machine safely, that should fix the problem.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'd give it a try (lowering the machine) and see how it works for you. 

And, once you hang the hose, you'll never go back!  Bigwink
Post Reply Post Reply
A few things for your consideration:
3 settings affect humidity and rainout, humidity setting of Off, 1-8, Heated hose setting, and Mode of Auto or Manual. Try editing these maybe adding a bit more heated hose.

Other things, as Big Guy mentions the hose hanger and hose angle, water should flow back to the tub without issue. Look at the lid of the tub. Those crossing plastic tubes shaped like an X is the air passage. If you're concerned about damage to the wood furniture, get a shallow nearly flat rubber or plastic tray to set your machine in, maybe something sort of like a fast food serving tray, a greenhouse germination tray or rubberized boot tray in shape/dimensions.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The solution is hose cover + set climate control to Auto. That solves most problems. Hope it solves yours.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 4,963 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Question on the Hybernite Rainout control tube runcyclexcski 2 106 03-21-2024, 05:29 AM
Last Post: runcyclexcski
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 614 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  Wake and can't get back to sleep hydra 11 517 02-23-2024, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Lucid
  [Symptoms] Help my symptoms got better at first but then they came back after a month LordofthStrings 14 932 02-22-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: LordofthStrings
  Side sleeper vs. Back sleeper readings Bob Cali 4 399 02-21-2024, 09:54 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Help figuring out why symptoms are back Jess2117 1 294 02-21-2024, 06:39 PM
Last Post: MikeR20

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.