Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Airsense rainout: I give up, so back it goes.
RE: Airsense rainout: I give up, so back it goes.
(06-25-2020, 10:59 PM)sonicboom Wrote: The solution is hose cover + set climate control to Auto.  That solves most problems.  Hope it solves yours.

Thanks, but I tried both. I'm going to try lowering the machine. Fingers crossed, because I don't want to send it back if there's nothing fixable and that's just how they are.
Post Reply Post Reply
To be clear - I went through 4 A10s thinking it was the machine when it was controllable rainout. Fleece hose cover + climate control on Auto + Tube temp 81 (think that's 27 for you.) + put the majority of the hose under your covers next to you so as little of the hose as is possible is in the ambient air. Its complicated because everyone's room climate is different. You might also adjust the ambient room temperature you sleep at. I raised mine 2 degrees from 62 F (16.7 C) to 64 F (17.8 C) along with those changes above. Problem solved.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't doubt you, but that's EXACTLY where I'm at other than tube temp 29C - which should mitigate rainout even more.

I don't want to heat the room because I sleep much better snuggled up underneath a duvet in a cool room than I do the rest of the year here in Queensland. The aircon goes on as soon as nighttime temp hits 18C!
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes - so our preferred room temperature for sleeping complicates the problem if you can't raise it a degree or 2. But, its not the machine.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-25-2020, 10:09 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: A few things for your consideration:
3 settings affect humidity and rainout, humidity setting of Off, 1-8, Heated hose setting, and Mode of Auto or Manual. Try editing these maybe adding a bit more heated hose.

Other things, as Big Guy mentions the hose hanger and hose angle, water should flow back to the tub without issue. Look at the lid of the tub. Those crossing plastic tubes shaped like an X is the air passage. If you're concerned about damage to the wood furniture, get a shallow nearly flat rubber or plastic tray to set your machine in, maybe something sort of like a fast food serving tray, a greenhouse germination tray or rubberized boot tray in shape/dimensions.

I could go even higher with the hose temp, though I can't see why that's necessary. Surely 28C is enough but, then again, that might not be an accurate representation of the actual tube temp.

I wasn't really worried about water damaging the herb cabinet, though now you mention it, perhaps I should have been! I was more concerned about water leaking into areas of the machine that aren't supposed to get wet, or just onto the heater plate and messing with the temp control.

I couldn't possibly put an ugly tray on my lovely herb cabinet.   For context, it isn't just a nice piece of furniture, it represents a milestone in my life when, thanks to years of study and hard work, our finances improved to a level where we could finally indulge ourselves a little bit. We had never paid so much for a piece of furniture, nor had the money to think of 'quality' above function and value for money! Cover it with a tray? How very dare you!

Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
Steve I use a lanyard to suspend the tube from the headboard. Any water that finds its way into the tube drains back to the humidifier chamber. The unit is designed to do that. Using the hose flat across the bed means it is just an easy run for water to reach the mask, and it's in the way. I have always suspended the hose and used a fleece cover, and never had rainout, or a humidifier tank overflow reach my nose. I get the impression you don't want to hear this advise that has been given a number of times, but you are returning machines for operator error, not a defect.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Now on a revisit/rethink, you can do a hose cover for insulation and a hose holder to manage hose angle, etc. Once I get machine issue fixed, I'll be getting these myself.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-26-2020, 07:39 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Steve I use  a lanyard to suspend the tube from the headboard. Any water that finds its way into the tube drains back to the humidifier chamber.  The unit is designed to do that.  Using the hose flat across the bed means it is just an easy run for water to reach the mask, and it's in the way.  I have always suspended the hose and used a fleece cover, and never had rainout, or a humidifier tank overflow reach my nose.  I get the impression you don't want to hear this advise that has been given a number of times, but you are returning machines for operator error, not a defect.

I don't know how you got the impression I didn't want to listen. I was already doing most of the things suggested re settings and a cover for the hose. My concern regarding machine height was simply based on my experience with the S9, which Resmed state must NOT be placed lower than the bed.

Once I had confirmed that it was OK to put the Airsense below bed height, I was happy to try that and last night experienced no rainout. It doesn't happen every night, so I'll see how I go over the next week or so but, in the meantime, I told my supplier that I'm going to wait to see if this works before sending the machine back. Hopefully I won't need to.

Perhaps you're mixing me up with another member who I think had returned their Airsense four times while trying to fix the rainout issue, because you say, "... you are returning machines for operator error ..."?

Well, fingers crossed this works. No more rainout and, as a bonus, I can't hear the machine at all now that it's been lowered.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-26-2020, 04:46 PM)StevesSp Wrote:
(06-26-2020, 07:39 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Steve I use  a lanyard to suspend the tube from the headboard. Any water that finds its way into the tube drains back to the humidifier chamber.  The unit is designed to do that.  Using the hose flat across the bed means it is just an easy run for water to reach the mask, and it's in the way.  I have always suspended the hose and used a fleece cover, and never had rainout, or a humidifier tank overflow reach my nose.  I get the impression you don't want to hear this advise that has been given a number of times, but you are returning machines for operator error, not a defect.

I don't know how you got the impression I didn't want to listen. I was already doing most of the things suggested re settings and a cover for the hose. My concern regarding machine height was simply based on my experience with the S9, which Resmed state must NOT be placed lower than the bed.

Once I had confirmed that it was OK to put the Airsense below bed height, I was happy to try that and last night experienced no rainout. It doesn't happen every night, so I'll see how I go over the next week or so but, in the meantime, I told my supplier that I'm going to wait to see if this works before sending the machine back. Hopefully I won't need to.

Perhaps you're mixing me up with another member who I think had returned their Airsense four times while trying to fix the rainout issue, because you say, "... you are returning machines for operator error ..."?

Well, fingers crossed this works. No more rainout and, as a bonus, I can't hear the machine at all now that it's been lowered.

I hope that by lowering your machine, your issues with rainout will go away. Please keep us informed.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, after almost a week of using the Airsense on a table, below head height, I've experienced no rainout. Yay!

That said, we haven't experienced a particularly chilly night recently, but it's looking good.

So my setup is humidity on auto, hose temp 27C, fleece on hose and machine approx 18" below the height of the mattress. I'm not using a hose tidy - I just have the excess hose under the covers with me.

Once again, fingers crossed. We've just entered the middle month of winter here in Oz, so I expect a few more chilly nights before it starts to warm up again, at which point I plan to go back to having the machine on the bedside cabinet and no hose fleece. This is because, while this setup seems t prevent rainout when it's cold, I'm sacrificing a little hose length and the fleece makes the hose a little 'grippy', i.e. less willing to slide around under the covers when I move.

So it seems I will utilise a summer and a winter setup.

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 4,969 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Question on the Hybernite Rainout control tube runcyclexcski 2 106 03-21-2024, 05:29 AM
Last Post: runcyclexcski
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 615 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  Wake and can't get back to sleep hydra 11 521 02-23-2024, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Lucid
  [Symptoms] Help my symptoms got better at first but then they came back after a month LordofthStrings 14 934 02-22-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: LordofthStrings
  Side sleeper vs. Back sleeper readings Bob Cali 4 401 02-21-2024, 09:54 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Help figuring out why symptoms are back Jess2117 1 294 02-21-2024, 06:39 PM
Last Post: MikeR20

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.