Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Aisense 10 - leave on or turn off?
Aisense 10 - leave on or turn off?
Is it best to leave the machine on (stopped) or turned off with long push of stop button? I use Auto Start mode. I don't like leaving electronics on if not in use. I would like to turn it off after cool down stops. I have few questions:
  • If the machine is left on is it drawing significant current? 
  • Does turning it "off" instead of "stopped" disconnect the modem, preventing the unit from phoning home?
  • Is my data stored on SD card as soon as the machine is in stopped mode?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Aisense 10 - leave on or turn off?
A Resmed Airsense 10 uses 5 watts in standby mode and approximately 34 watts running with a heated hose.
The only 'off' mode is to unplug it.
The modem will phone home as long as it's plugged in and the airplane mode isn't set.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-18-2020, 11:46 AM)harrywr2 Wrote: The only 'off' mode is to unplug it.

Doing the long push of the stop button does turn the led off and nothing shows on the screen with any button push except "start" Doesn't this indicates the machine is turned off? I did find this info in the manual:

"Press to start/stop therapy. Press and hold for three seconds to enter power save mode".

So- the question is what is still on in power save mode?
Post Reply Post Reply
It is my understanding that long pressing the start /stop button shuts it down. I do not recommend you do that because it will prevent your information being sent over the air. If you’re still in your compliance period it will cause problems. It doesn’t send the info out for at least an hour after you stop therapy. It may be in your best interest to just leave it “on”. If your not in your compliance period and/or doing it on your own without a doctor then it’s ok to shut it down after the cool down cycle. Being a medical device  this may be one “vampire” electronic device you should leave on at all times just so things don’t get complicated for you. Although I do understand your wish to shutdown all your devices that use energy even when “off”
Download OSCAR <——— Click
Post Reply Post Reply
Google is your friend! I just did a Google search on the subject, and found this info from Resmed. So indeed power saving mode allows data to transfer, and it may even save some energy use. Thanks for the replies....

"Your AirSense 10 device records your therapy data. In order to allow it to transmit the data to your care provider, you should not unplug the device. However, you can put it into power save mode to save electricity. To enter power save mode: • Press and hold Start/Stop for three seconds".
Post Reply Post Reply
I always turn mine completely off when I get up. I still have the myAir app and the data is still transferred and show’s up on myair app about an hour later.
Post Reply Post Reply
I stand corrected. Good to know
Download OSCAR <——— Click
Post Reply Post Reply
I doubt if the machine draws any significant current when in the idle state.
My rule of thumb is that any machine that moves or creates heat or light will draw current.. otherwise... not so much.

If the humidifier has deactivated and if the whisper-flow run down has terminated, it's not really doing anything except keeping the modem signal alive.

If you want to stop it from "calling home" then there are a couple of options
1) put it into airplane mode. You will get a reminder message to turn airplane back off... but you can presumably just ignore that.
2) open it up and physically disconnect the modem. There's a video on youtube showing how to do that if you google for it.

As for when it writes to the SDcard....
I cannot prove this... but I suspect that it writes to the card frequently when in use (to ensure that data is not lost in a power failure) and I suspect that it flushes the data with a final write as soon as you hit the off button. That would be an obvious choice for the designers and software developers.

When I was using the S10 machines, I used to pull the card as soon as I got out of bed and the data was always there and accessible to OSCAR. I never had to wait a while before pulling the card to give it a chance to "catch up" and do a write.
Post Reply Post Reply
This got thread got me curious so I dusted off my ammeter and it's adapter for 2/3 prong plugs (U.S.).

The machine draws current as follows (assuming 120 volts):

0.042 amps, lcd screen on, pump off  (5 watts)
0.036 amps, sleep mode (4.3 watts)
0.035 amps, power saver mode (4.2 watts)

Using Ohm's Law W=VA

The difference is relatively insignificant.  Pretty much about what an incandescent night light might draw.

Have not tested the machine running yet, will try that later tonight.
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching screenshots and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Be sure to test it with the heated humidifier on and off and with the air pump on and off. (you can put it in warm-up mode to measure just the humidifier) ;-)
The air pump moves... the humidifier generates heat... let's see how good my rule of thumb really is. :-)
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Do you turn off your Airsense in the morning after using? dharma2255 9 250 04-10-2024, 03:27 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [Equipment] Should I turn on the AB Filter option on my AirSense 10 AutoSet for these filters? cLoo 10 996 03-22-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Raise max pressure or leave it alone? big_dave 4 375 02-20-2024, 05:09 PM
Last Post: TexasDon
Question Is it OK to turn on an oxygen concentrator before my APAP machine? EMihalis 10 736 12-15-2023, 12:18 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Should I turn off EPR?? sleepygoo 4 647 11-09-2023, 01:46 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Airsense 11 how do you turn off this bloody touch screen tierdal 12 3,452 07-22-2023, 04:41 PM
Last Post: silverdr
  Navigating medical leave zoraa 2 483 06-04-2023, 12:25 PM
Last Post: zoraa

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.