Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

All Kinds of Sleep Problems
All Kinds of Sleep Problems
Dear Board –

Would anybody please help? I have searched for, and ready through many threads, but I feel almost as lost as I was before. I was diagnosed with OSA about 2 years ago, and have been using Resmed S9 Autoset.

Problem:
About 3 months ago I started feeling tired during the day again. Some overnight AHI readings had spiked to between five and 10. But now I feel worse and the Resmed S9 is giving erratic readings. For example, if I have been in bed for about nine hours (with the S9 on), sometimes it will say that I used the machine for six hours. Some of my AHI readings are just bizarre. For example, the other day I lay down for about 30 minutes with the S9 on, and to the best of my knowledge did not fall asleep. The S9 gave an AHI reading of about 14 for the 30 mins of non-sleep.

Things are so bad that I ordered a new Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset the other week (I have not received the unit yet).

I am terrified that my cognition is declining. I am thinking of getting a professional quality oximeter. I am thinking about the Nonin Xpod and the Resmed Oximetry Module.

Questions:
1) Is this overkill? I do not have money to throw, but I will lose my job if my cognition dulls further. Going in to a doctor will probably take several months of explaining, back and forth with insurance and another several months to schedule a sleep study. I had rather try to fix the problem myself first.

2) Do I have the correct product links above?

3) Where/how can I find a reliable vendor with “reasonable” prices?

I can only find one place selling the Resmed module for $199. I see a few vendors selling, item #: “DRIVEMEDICAL-dv5m-697” (for about $600) but am not sure whether the preceding part # includes everything I need, or whether I will have to buy additional parts.

4) Am I better off saving the fancy oximeter money and buying one of the Resmed AirCurve machines?

5) How do I check whether my (old) Resmed S9 is not working correctly?

I would be grateful for any help. Thank you so much.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: All Kinds of Sleep Problems
First thing I would do is request the clinician's manual at check that the clock is properly set.
The machine starts a "CPAP day" at what the clock says is noon. If the clock is way off, part of your night's sleep maybe credited to the wrong day.
While you're in the menu, look at what the min and max pressures are set to.

You may have changed in two years; and require more pressure; or you may have developed mixed apnea; and the autoset machine may not be the right machine for you any longer.

You may be jumping the gun buying a new machine.

Why don't you post some graphs from ResScan? Let's see what's going one with pressure, leak, flow and events. (That will answer question 5.)

And, BTW, you cannot post links yet as a new member. But you can attach a CPAP related file like an image.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
G'dayGday Forrest13, welcome to Apnea Board.

In order to give you any sensible advice, we need to know what your data looks like. First thing is to fill in your profile with the model of machine you are actually using, your mask type and the pressures. There is a link to CPAP Manuals at the top of this page. Go there and request the clinician manual for your particular machine. Using that manual you will be able to determine your pressure settings.

I don't use an oximeter so I can comment on that.

An ASV machine is a very expensive option for people with central or complex apnea. Unless you have some indication you're suffering centrals that machine would just be a waste of a lot of money.

The fact your machine recorded events when you were awake is not unusual. Your awake breathing follows a very different pattern from when you are sleeping, with lots of pauses, speed-ups etc. the machine can easily be tricked into thinking these are apnea events.

While it's possible your machine is playing up, I think it's more likely there are environmental, medical or behaviour factors behind the rise in AHI. Have there been any changes in your life during this period? New medications, shift work, new house, etc? All of these can affect your sleep.

I see you're using ResScan. Do the ResScan results tally with what you're seeing on the machine itself? That could be an indicator or something amiss.

Good luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
Forrest13 Wrote:The S9 gave an AHI reading of about 14 for the 30 mins of non-sleep.
perfectly reasonable. it has no way of knowing whether you're awake or not.

Forrest13 Wrote:I am terrified that my cognition is declining. I am thinking of getting a professional quality oximeter. I am thinking about the Nonin Xpod and the Resmed Oximetry Module.

[nonin + resmed oximetry adapter]

Questions:
1) Is this overkill? I do not have money to throw, but I will lose my job if my cognition dulls further. Going in to a doctor will probably take several months of explaining, back and forth with insurance and another several months to schedule a sleep study. I had rather try to fix the problem myself first.
you do realize you have to buy *both*, so it costs upwards of a thousand bucks to get the privilege of sleeping with another wire to get tangled up in?

get a cms50i, records multiple days, costs under 100$ from the chinese version of amazon, not sure if I can mention the place here. read the name over on the other forum you asked this question on.

Forrest13 Wrote:4) Am I better off saving the fancy oximeter money and buying one of the Resmed AirCurve machines?
wouldn't it be better to see what's going on, instead of just throwing money blindly at the perceived problem??? I mean, if you're sitting on a huge pile of money, and it's uncomfortable, feel free to fill up a dumptruck with some of it, and send it my way.... maybe that'll even out your seating situation and you'll be more comfortable.Thanks

Forrest13 Wrote:5) How do I check whether my (old) Resmed S9 is not working correctly?
get some software, read the data from the sd card. (resscan/sleepyhead)
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Forrest13,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post and good luck to you in getting your sleep problems straightened out.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you all for your considered replies.  

I am sorry I was not able to post a "thank you" when you actually answered my questions.  

Forrest13
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] PRISMA SMART MAX PROBLEMS WITH SOFTPAP LEVEL 2 rretamalt 18 2,009 03-19-2024, 06:17 PM
Last Post: motivationalGust
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 165 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 169 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 207 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Anything can be done for baby with breathing problems Ptee8899 3 221 02-11-2024, 11:30 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Positional Apnea Problems ggibson 13 1,841 11-20-2023, 07:28 AM
Last Post: Jarlo
  Inconsistent Sleep Patterns and Confusing Sleep Studies - Please Review mperry99 17 1,362 10-14-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mperry99

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.