Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Am I getting the right cpap backup battery? Beginner here
Am I getting the right cpap backup battery? Beginner here
I am brand new to cpap I don't have it yet i have to wait a couple months for my appointment to be prescribed a cpap but before it comes I want to get a battery. I'm getting the airsense 10. I have two questions. 

1 am I getting the right backup battery? I am planning on getting a jackery explorer 500 which has a DC plug in spot so I can get a DC converter. Am I doing this right?

2 I have two backup Batteries for my computers but they do not have DC plug ins would I be able to use them as AC? Is it that ac isn't as efficient or is it that I cannot use AC? 

Also I read something about these generators being 12 volts and the cpap being 24 volts am I doing this right?
Sorry for the beginner question lol.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Am I getting the right cpap backup battery? Beginner here
What purpose should that battery serve, i.e., supply power in which cases?
Post Reply Post Reply
It's not for travel I don't really travel much at all. A home backup for if it power goes out or if there's a hurricane or anything
Post Reply Post Reply
I just bought exactly this one for going camping on grounds that are accessible by car / short walk, and it saved my night two days ago when there was an unplanned electricity outage.

As you posited, you do need to get the proper DC-DC converter (12V → 24V) if you want to use the DC output - and you do want it, because AC → DC convertion is very energivore.

I bought the Resmed 37297 Air10 DC-DC Converter. Which is pretty much a regular DC DC converter but I went with it instead of a cheaper generic for peace of mind.

I found out that, on a brand new battery and my usual settings (iirc, cord temp @ 23C, humidity at 3), it would use 20%-25% of the battery. I haven't tested out yet with temp + humidity off, but I've read that it uses about 10%-15% of the battery, which would mean at least a week of treatment.

So if you got the budget for it and don't mind the bulkness of the Jackery battery, you can get this one with (some) peace of mind!

EDIT : I've only had the battery for a month, and used it only for test + the previously mentioned outage, so I can't speak for the durability of the battery.
Post Reply Post Reply
That's awesome thank you! So is it that AC just drains power more? I have a couple old computer UPS backup batteries they don't have a DC in so it would be AC I would imagine. Would I be able to use those too? I know it wouldn't be as efficient but could they be used if I run out of power on the main one I'm planning to buy?
Post Reply Post Reply
UPS systems are designed to be used for minutes, not hours. If your power only goes off for 15 minutes or less, then a UPS will work.
- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ah okay. I wasn't considering using the UPS as my primary or anything I was just curious if my primary went out if I could use them. Any extra bit of time helps if there's a hurricane or anything. Thanks for the info! My last question is the emergency battery back up I'm buying do I charge it on a scheduled basis or can I use it like an UPS and leave it plugged it?
Post Reply Post Reply
Based on the Jackery power station literature, continuous charging is not recommended. Since this is one of the most popular brands, I would check with other suppliers to see if they have any different requirements.

Because I am lazy and don't wish to have to change out the power supply during an outage, I use a marine deep cycle battery, battery tender and a DC-DC power supply all the time. I have slept through several outages and didn't know it until the next morning when some of my clocks were incorrect.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ah okay makes sense. I suppose I'll go based on the literature on how often to charge it! Thank you so much guys you helped a ton! I don't have my cpap yet but I'm sure I'll be back here with more questions when I do lol
Post Reply Post Reply
It doesn't sound like you use the battery backup much, and if you don't travel much, I would consider something like one of these as a UPS backup for your bedside. Since you use humidity and a heated tube you are most likely pulling about 145 Watts of power or so. One of these models should power your CPAP for about 7 or 8 hours and they have replaceable batteries.

Do an Internet search for a UPS (Uninterruptable Power Supply) similar to the Tripp Lite SMART1500PSGLCD.

As background, I have about 40 years experience in data center infrastructure management. A UPS will last as long as needed, providing it is sized correctly for the load (watts) and the required runtime.

UPS Sizing | Eaton (reading)
Tripp Lite UPS Battery Backup | Eaton (sizing tool)
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Battery power source for ResMed machine MaskedOne 8 178 04-12-2024, 04:42 PM
Last Post: MaskedOne
  Tech Nerds-think this battery setup will work for Transcend Micro? johnbrain 10 307 04-02-2024, 11:43 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  battery backup recommendations as10/as11 eok361 54 4,764 04-01-2024, 10:03 PM
Last Post: Charliejoe
  HDM Z1 Battery Replacement Ephraim 10 2,038 03-17-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: breinersj
Cool New Backup Machine doesn't have menu options mcse350 2 232 02-28-2024, 03:38 PM
Last Post: mcse350
  [Equipment] Beginner Must Have Equipment/Supplies PoutinePrincess 7 436 02-07-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Interference from battery charger in DC battery backup setup? Daxvex 3 276 01-22-2024, 11:59 AM
Last Post: Daxvex

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.