Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Annoying air venting (not mask leak) from F20 air touch
Thumbsdown 
Annoying air venting (not mask leak) from F20 air touch
I searched here for this but could only find threads about no air venting worries !  My problem is the seemingly excessive  venting from the vent holes on each side of the elbow joint by the leaf valves.

This is definitely where the airflow is coming from, not from the mask.  It comes straight up onto my skin and eyes,  and is causing eye irritation and dryness. It also feels cool, which isn't  nice in the middle of winter.  Why oh why aren't  the vents positioned and aimed downwards?! 

I have only noticed this since l increased.minimum pressure to 7 then to 7.2 .  I am trying to slowly increase to 8 to address my central apneas. But seems l can't even get past 7 without a gremlin. 

Is this a thing,  or is it just me being a super sensitive princess ?  Thanks for reading.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Annoying air venting (not mask leak) from F20 air touch
Those vent holes should not be open during normal use. When pressure is applied, the flaps open closing the lower vents, and the vent holes up by where it connects to the frame vent out your exhalations. If pressure is removed, then the flaps drop and stop you from inhaling your own exhausted air.

Here is a video I made for someone a few months ago showing how it works.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/7ejsd6m3q...s1hzc&dl=0

Make sure the elbow vent holes up by the frame that go around it are clean. A bit of warm water and toothbrush are good to clean it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi and thank you ?.  My mask and joint is different to the one in your video, . The vents where the problem air is coming through are the flower shaped cut-outs on each side.  They are quite big.  The mask cushion itself has no vent holes anywhere.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
i believe that's just how the exhaust work if it's annoying you should probably try another mask. the more recent design like f40 have diffusers on the exhaust.

you seem to have EPR maxed out (from your other thread), if you want to address CAs you could try reducing it. more pressure will likely increase CAs not reduce them.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you. I think its a design fault, among a few on the F20 imo. And l wait with bated breath for the F40 to eventually wend its way to NZ.
Post Reply Post Reply
Those flaps lift up and close off the flower-shaped vents when under pressure. If not, there is something wrong with the elbow. The vent holes are in the elbow up by where it connects to the mask frame, hidden under the big brown ring. They are very small and as ResMed says “whisper quiet”, so you may not hear the air being vented.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you  ,  yes you are right,  the culprit is that ring of teeny tiny holes.  !   I know stuff has to vent somewhere but they should find a way to direct it all down away from the face.  

I can't see how l can avoid it  obviously l can't block it.  Does anyone know if there is another full face mask  that doesn't  have vents that blow onto your face?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Leak Help for my MIL papercupprincess 6 192 4 hours ago
Last Post: Narcil
Question Sudden Unexplained Increase in Leak Rate lygodia 7 181 07-10-2024, 09:24 AM
Last Post: lygodia
  Everything's Great Except My Leak Rate! Well Marbled 1 6 161 07-09-2024, 02:23 PM
Last Post: Well Marbled 1
  Large leak rate, what am I doing wrong? Jspiv 6 226 07-02-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  myAir website mask leak data danhi 4 188 06-30-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: danhi
  Device air leak, not mask!!! xaid 1 181 06-18-2024, 01:06 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Resmed Air Touch F 40 early experiences sleepingbetterinFl 14 530 06-17-2024, 11:52 AM
Last Post: brokensleep57

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.