Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Another Collar Success Story
Another Collar Success Story
I know there are many posts on this topic already, but I just now realized how much the cervical collar is helping me. If I had to choose between using the CPAP and wearing the collar, I might choose the collar as I think it may help more with my OSA.

I forgot to wear it the other night, and my AHI increased a lot. And it's not just the AHI. It seems that when I tuck my chin (or whatever it is I'm doing with my neck) at night, my airway becomes so blocked that no amount of pressure will open the airway. This results in the CPAP increasing to max pressure, which only results in the mask leaking a lot and waking me up. Why I wake up from a blast of air and not from being unable to breathe in my sleep is one of the wonders of physiology!

Anyway, when I wear the collar, My pressure barely increases. When I don't, I have OAs, LLs, and plenty of awakenings.

Screen shots below show the night before being collar-less and the collar-less night, followed by the same pairing from another night I forgot the collar. The collared nights are reflective of most of my nights with the collar.

I Purchased a VELPEAU collar from Amazon, and I have no complaints. I'm sure most will work fine. I wear it quite loose. When I'm in bed, the back of the collar just melds into the pillow so I can't feel it, and the front is loose so that it's not even touching my neck really. It's only there to prevent my neck from tucking, and it is not uncomfortable.

If you're having a problem with mega-increases in pressure that give you large leaks, give a collar a try.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Another Collar Success Story
Thanks for posting !    I love success stories.

Can you post what changes happened to your flow limits?

-Don
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-03-2023, 01:03 PM)TexasDon Wrote: Thanks for posting !    I love success stories.

Can you post what changes happened to your flow limits?

-Don

Hey Don,

Here you go. I'm no expert, but it seems like a substantial difference.

-Mick

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks!   Impressive.   I wore a collar last night and had a pretty good night but my flow limits are still excessive.   Also had leaks and I've no recollection of any leaks.   I think I have to rig a game camera or something and see what is going on.  -Don
Post Reply Post Reply
MickTravis, it would be great if you can find time to add your experience to the Velpeau Collar review http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...cal-Collar
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-04-2023, 03:24 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: MickTravis, it would be great if you can find time to add your experience to the Velpeau Collar review http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...cal-Collar

Will do!
Post Reply Post Reply
I'll add that this thread prompted me to try a collar and I too found success!   Just a foam collar from Amazon.   I sleep on my back and I thought I was getting my cervical vert nice and straight.   Must have been chin tucking.   I've had a stiff neck for a couple of years now.   My AHI score went down and  I feel tons better.  My stiff neck is almost gone too.   Nice!
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for sharing your story, TexasDon!

You make a good point about neck pain. Before using the collar, I often woke up with a sore neck and headache that lasted for many hours upon waking. I always figured it was my pillow, or otherwise it was me sleeping in a funny position, which would be near impossible to fix since I wasn't awake to fix it.

It turns out that I must have been contorting my neck in some crazy way, and the collar fixed that too. I no longer wake up with a sore neck. So, thanks for reminding me, TexasDon. The collar not only helps with apneas but also neck pain!
Post Reply Post Reply
Interesting - I'd never even heard of a collar used in this way. Best used with CPAP instead of solely?
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-06-2023, 01:12 PM)OwenTrantor Wrote: Interesting - I'd never even heard of a collar used in this way. Best used with CPAP instead of solely?

if you have OSA, you'll want to use it with a CPAP. It probably won't cure all your apneas. I've not used the collar alone, but I'd guess that it'd be better than nothing if it's something that has shown to help you (it doesn't help everyone). If I had to travel to somewhere where I couldn't bring my CPAP, I would definitely bring the collar with me. Unfortunately, I can't truly answer to how well it works on its own since I'd have to have a sleep study with the collar on and compare it to a study with it off, and that's unlikely to happen.

There have been some clinical studies on using a collar for OSA with mixed results. You can find some online if you search for them.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Good cervical collar for large (20 inch) necks Fox66 2 66 04-21-2024, 01:51 PM
Last Post: Fox66
  Chronic's Story chronic 19 833 04-16-2024, 07:49 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Help - 1 year CPAP - not success - help very welcome! leono85 46 3,145 04-16-2024, 05:04 AM
Last Post: Macka
  Recommended soft cervical collar? Ynot 7 571 04-11-2024, 09:48 AM
Last Post: cps22
  Data Comparison - Cervical Collar vs No Cervical Collar phoen1kx 9 332 03-27-2024, 11:26 AM
Last Post: phoen1kx
Arrow Your Personal CPAP Success Story - Post Here SuperSleeper 1,364 631,533 03-24-2024, 07:19 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Has anyone had success with ONLY a soft cervical collar? ranvanman 7 662 02-26-2024, 09:49 AM
Last Post: ranvanman

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.