Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Another New User
RE: Another New User
Thanks for your reply. I'm sorry but I cannot find the instructions to expand the timeline. I have tried in Oscar and looked at the wiki. Where are you saying to look?
Post Reply Post Reply
Expanding the timeline, or zooming in, is accomplished by placing your pointer on any graph at or close to the desired beginning time and then, while holding the left button down, drag the pointer to the right for the desired time value, then release the mouse button. To be more precise in the timeline, you may zoom in steps. You just repeat the same steps on a zoomed in graph, until you achieve the time frame you desire. When performing this procedure, a box will appear displaying the time line within the zoomed area.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for that information. I will try it out.
Post Reply Post Reply
Clearly, you did not have the desired results using the soft cervical collar that we usually see. Without posting a link, what collar did you buy and what size? Does it prevent your chin from dropping behind the support? Does it cause any pressure or constriction on your neck, especially in front of the throat? Did the collar stabilize your head and neck position, or was it uncomfortable?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-04-2020, 04:35 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Clearly, you did not have the desired results using the soft cervical collar that we usually see.  Without posting a link, what collar did you buy and what size?  Does it prevent your chin from dropping behind the support?  Does it cause any pressure or constriction on your neck, especially in front of the throat?  Did the collar stabilize your head and neck position, or was it uncomfortable?

I just went to Amazon and got a cheap one, $12, to try.

Alpha Medical Universal Cervical Collar Neck Brace (2.5" Wide)

It is comfortable, no neck pressure, and keeps my chin up. I can still turn my head, it is not restrictive. It was not a problem wearing even the first night. Seems to do what is is supposed to do.
Post Reply Post Reply
There are different heights for collars and this one at 2-1/2" is still letting you tuck your chin. It is too short, or is too soft to support your head and chin. I think you are going to need a 3 or-3-1/2" width. The CorFlex Ultra Cervical collar is similar in price and comes in heights from 2" to 4" and has gotten a good review http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid355222. You should measure the height from your sternum to the under-side of the chin with your head level. I'm still certain a soft cervical collar is needed, but clearly this one did not perform.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
I've never been an advocate of "one size fits all" collars.  You really need to measure from chin to sternum and try to keep you head level when doing this.  Also measure the circumference of your neck and add a couple inches.  The collar should support your neck and still give you room enough to move or slip a couple fingers under it.  Your chin should rest comfortably on the collar.  If the collar is too big, your chin can drop down under the collar.  

I only used a collar for about a year and it did help as I tend to tuck my chin whether sleeping on my side or back.  After awhile, I found that I didn't really need the collar as I was "trained" to keep my chin up.  

Give this another try, but measure before ordering.  

As far as your actual AHI numbers, I would of hoped you could get the clusters of Obstructives under control with the collar.  

I also see your Clear Airway events are all over the place, some nights better than others.  I don't want to be premature, but it's possible with the mix of Obstructives, Hypopneas, and Clear Airways, that you are simply using the wrong type machine, and in time may be headed for an ASV machine.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Marbles, your best therapy 4-AHI was when your maximum pressure was set to 20 and EPR was off. How did that setting feel? If you were able to sleep, that might be a solution until you can get the positional obstructive apnea under control. As you know, the minimum pressure means nothing for you because the CPAP jumps to the maximum pressure and stays there.

I admire you are sticking with the therapy, and I still think a correctly sized collar is going to help, but it is your option to contact your doctor to ask why your AHI remains so high with CPAP. Maybe he will move you to bilevel which is capable of more pressure and pressure support.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=25095]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Sleeprider, I appreciate your thoughts and suggestions. When I first got the machine from the VA nothing was setup for me. I did not get any instructions on how to use it other than the user guide it came with. I did not adjust anything. i assume the settings were the defaults. The first night was terrible, I lasted about 2 hours. Second night was better, AHI @ 6, then @ 7. After reading and learning about the settings i lower the max pres to 12 and got a 7 AHI, then a 5. Next few nights were 5-16 range. Getting the collar and setting the pres to 7/12, EPR full-time 3, the results were 13.56, 4.41, 12.03 and last night 1.69. I attached last night data. Last night data was completely different than all other nights from what I see, and nothing was changed from the previous 3 nights. I am beginning to think this process is "Rocket Science"

From all my reading I am trying to figure out what the goal is. My sleep study showed AHI above 50. Now looking at Oscar my average is 9.11 AHI. Looks to me like that is an improvement. And my blood pressure has come down also. So i still wonder what the goal is and how do you achieve that goal? Do you have to be under 5 AHI to claim success?

Please look at last night data. Nothing changed last night but the results look great to me. Could that have been a machine malfunction? The pressure and flow rate look good. What am I missing? Should I keep the pres at 7/12 with EPR at 3?

I go to bed around 10-10:30. Wake up 1-2 times. Usually stop treatment around 5:30 and stay in bed until around 6:30. I do feel rested and comfortable through the night.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have seen others that did not benefit from the collar the first night, but it kicked in and worked. Maybe there is a lag in the day we see the data, but this is by far, more what I wanted and expected to see. Let's see if this is it!
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  10 year CPAP user, new system and new mask and 1st time Oscar user armandxp 2 1,110 01-26-2021, 05:44 PM
Last Post: armandxp
  Long Time User...First Time 'Advanced Detail' User DerekN 25 10,159 08-11-2013, 04:59 AM
Last Post: sleepyhead2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.