Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Another Newb... First Night
RE: Another Newb... First Night
(03-23-2018, 11:39 AM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: Hi DreamBreather,

Welcome

Your experience is very similar to many here. We each seem to have carried a sleep debt into our apnea treatment thanks to the untreated apneas of our past. Thankfully, that sleep debt gets reduced via proper apnea treatment via the CPAP machine of some flavor for most of us; I believe your situation to be included in that.

FWIW the DreamStation is a fine machine, experiences tell us that you have to dial the settings in more closely than the ResMed. I had the DreamStation BiPAP about a year ago and it was a great device, but I needed an ASV for handling mixed apnea, and I pushed to get the ResMed. The process of tweaking the machine settings thing is what these gurus are for on the Apnea Board. As you noted, get the SleepyHead on the PC and post some charts, and the gurus will point out some suggestions to edit the settings. BTW there is no law that says you cannot adjust your own machine; I just wanted to kill that myth to make sure you're aware of it.

Anyway, keep at the therapy and if needed, try the machine and mask while reading, listening to audible books, etc. if you'd like. Some are helped by this action just to get used to the mask and the CPAP pressures.

lots-o-coffee

Thank You SarcasticDave94,

1.  For reiterating that being unable to adjust 'my machine to what works for me' is a myth.  I did let the DME rep know that I had gone underground and i had the keys to change the settings... Ha... He just laughed... he knew he didn't need to comment... I did ask him though, what exactly would be sent (datawise) for 'compliance'... and it was basically... hours used and AHI... he did say they get more data, but didn't act like it would matter if they noticed I moved something or not.

2.  That's a great idea and I may very well need to do that... I hit the ramp button 3 times last night before I actually laid down... and then I was anxious with anticipation of the 'leaf blower' effect... it never came of course, but it kept me awake and stressed out for longer than necessary. 

DreamBreather  Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-23-2018, 11:43 AM)Ron AKA Wrote: I am a new user too, and not liking this CPAP stuff much. Based on my brief 3 day experience I have found that using the Ramp pressure feature (which is off by default on my machine) helped with comfort. I also found that increasing the Expiry Pressure Relief (EPR or perhaps called FLEX on your machine) from 2 to 3 helped as well. I am using a nasal pillow style mask which I was a little skeptical off, but after 3 days it seems quite OK for comfort. The thought of a full nose or full face mask would give me claustrophobia. I hope I do not end up there... I keep telling myself that this will get better with more use.

Ron AKA,

Yes, Yes & Yes!! Ha!  I hit the Ramp button 3x's last night in anxious anticipation of the 'leaf blower' effect... it never happened thank goodness, but I was really stressed out about it.. LOL!

Flex is on 3.

Unfortunately for me, I'm a mouth-breather... now.. I don't feel like I'm breathing out of my mouth, but I know that I do.. so.. there's that. LOL!  Yes, I am having brief moments of claustrophobia.. I just fight through it, it doesn't last long.

Thanks for those suggestions!!

DreamBreather  Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum DreamBreather.

Your great attitude (plus finding this incredible space of good information) will take you a long way.

Many find wearing the mask and running the machine during waking hours (watching TV, etc) helps them get past any anxieties during the initial stages.

In Sleepyhead, you can turn off any "wakeful" sessions before posting so they do not get mixed the data of sleep sessions. The "Session Information" is near the bottom of the left-hand column in Sleepyhead. Turning off a session takes the data for that session out of the mix.

Are you a mouth breather? Do you need a FFM?

Again, welcome to the forum!

Bill
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-23-2018, 11:51 AM)DreamBreather Wrote:
(03-23-2018, 11:19 AM)ShaunBlake Wrote: ...
You didn't mention details about your test and titration and I wonder if you were tested for oxygen saturation;

Hi ShaunBlake,

I was, and interestingly enough, I specifically asked the sleep lab tech (during titration) about my oxygen and she said "The Cpap seems to be keeping your sats up all by itself"... I was a bit surprised by that... Considering my original sleep study showed that I de-sat all the way to 63%... 

Moreover, I was just released from the hospital 2 weeks ago with 3Litres of oxygen 24/7. (Pneumonia)  Now, i will say, I have made quite the gradual comeback, and my oxygen sats are staying in the upper 90's during the day.  I woke up last night and when I checked, it was 93.

... stated that 'it takes our bodies a while to adjust to the good after having to deal with the bad for so long'
*I may also have had my headgear on too tight.

I would be skeptical about the PAP correcting O2 sat, but I was shocked to fail my first sleep study because of low O2. (Had to go on a BiPAP to see if it would satisfy and ultimately wound up with supl. oxy.) So "they" are usually right (about things like this, anyway) and this sleep apnea stuff is far more complicated than imaginable.

You must be monitoring your O2 to be able to say your levels are above 90 -- do you wear an oximeter probe overnight as well? If you don't have enough minutes in the 80s or lower, then I think O2 desat isn't the cause of your symptoms (or not a substantial contributor). So I'm relieved... why aren't you? <wry grin> (Sorry about that!)

Oh, that quote sounds like Sleeprider (and is what I've read by him). Isn't that wisdom exquisite?
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-23-2018, 12:16 PM)Spy Car Wrote: Welcome to the forum DreamBreather.

Your great attitude (plus finding this incredible space of good information) will take you a long way.

Many find wearing the mask and running the machine during waking hours (watching TV, etc) helps them get past any anxieties during the initial stages.

In Sleepyhead, you can turn off any "wakeful" sessions before posting so they do not get mixed the data of sleep sessions. The "Session Information" is near the bottom of the left-hand column in Sleepyhead. Turning off a session takes the data for that session out of the mix.

Are you a mouth breather? Do you need a FFM?

Again, welcome to the forum!

Bill

Thanks for that info Spy Car,  I will make that change in the settings for sure!

Yep, I'm a MB... FFM it is!   Cool

DreamBreather  Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
DreamBreather,

You're quite welcome. FWIW the compliance thing is not about the settings, but usage. It's basically 4 plus hours a night for 21 of 30 days (within a full 24 hour period), and typically 3 months time to meet or exceed the reqiurements. I know the ResMed machines, probably others as well, count a day from Noon to the following Noon. And BTW all 3 Amigos handling my therapy are quite aware I adjust my therapy; the 3 amigos being the Doctor, the DME/RT, and health insurance. Mine don't really care if I adjust it, being informed as I now am. I have not had to make adjustments of pressures for a few months anyway. Comfort settings like humidifier, heated hose, Ramp, pressure relief programs are your choice regardless of what those amigos may wish to dictate. Even my original stubborn, he's always right, pulmonary doc knew well enough to "allow" me to adjust my own settings because he knew I had more insight into my own needs than he did.

Happy weekend AB crowd...

lots-o-coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-23-2018, 12:26 PM)ShaunBlake Wrote:
(03-23-2018, 11:51 AM)DreamBreather Wrote:
(03-23-2018, 11:19 AM)ShaunBlake Wrote: ...
You didn't mention details about your test and titration and I wonder if you were tested for oxygen saturation;

Hi ShaunBlake,

I was, and interestingly enough, I specifically asked the sleep lab tech (during titration) about my oxygen and she said "The Cpap seems to be keeping your sats up all by itself"... I was a bit surprised by that... Considering my original sleep study showed that I de-sat all the way to 63%... 

Moreover, I was just released from the hospital 2 weeks ago with 3Litres of oxygen 24/7. (Pneumonia)  Now, i will say, I have made quite the gradual comeback, and my oxygen sats are staying in the upper 90's during the day.  I woke up last night and when I checked, it was 93.

... stated that 'it takes our bodies a while to adjust to the good after having to deal with the bad for so long'
*I may also have had my headgear on too tight.

I would be skeptical about the PAP correcting O2 sat, but I was shocked to fail my first sleep study because of low O2. (Had to go on a BiPAP to see if it would satisfy and ultimately wound up with supl. oxy.) So "they" are usually right (about things like this, anyway) and this sleep apnea stuff is far more complicated than imaginable.

You must be monitoring your O2 to be able to say your levels are above 90 -- do you wear an oximeter probe overnight as well? If you don't have enough minutes in the 80s or lower, then I think O2 desat isn't the cause of your symptoms (or not a substantial contributor). So I'm relieved... why aren't you? <wry grin> (Sorry about that!)

Oh, that quote sounds like Sleeprider (and is what I've read by him). Isn't that wisdom exquisite?

Yes, and as JesseLee said earlier "Allot of new users of CPAP will experience fatigue. Your body has been through a lot and it has some acclimation and healing to do. It's like going on an extended trip and staying busy, then coming home and getting the makeup rest. It will pass."

All of the Wisdom is Exquisite   Too-funny

DreamBreather  Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Complete Newb trying a Respironics Legacy CPAP for the first time. Dmickey68 5 231 02-28-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  First night with hose cover, night was full of major mask leaks TiredTom111 2 850 06-30-2023, 01:44 PM
Last Post: TiredTom111
  Hello folks, here is my graph from last night and night before Phil487 5 898 06-15-2023, 02:05 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [CPAP] Another Newb Help/Oscar Post Gathermewool 9 16,442 02-03-2023, 10:35 AM
Last Post: Gathermewool
  Great Night into Terrible Night dcsleep 1 1,111 12-15-2020, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Pressure] AHI varies from night to night KKBW 6 1,342 07-31-2020, 10:29 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  New to CPAP - First Night Great, Second Night not so much oasised 22 3,235 07-24-2020, 10:26 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.