Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Another new AirSense user with a couple questions
RE: Another new AirSense user with a couple questions
You get centrals using pap when your CO2 drops and your body Pauses to let it build up. Cpap with EPR does a better job of getting rid of the CO2. When your body gets use to the therapy it will breathe with less CO2 and the centrals will go down. Then you can add the EPR back
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks.

I didn't know that.
Post Reply Post Reply
CO2 provides our main drive to breathe, the need to remove CO2 from the system and lower blood acid levels. It is NOT to breathe in O2. Needing O2 can cause you to breathe faster, but it will not cause you to initiate a breathe.

ANY CPAP/APAP/BiLevel will improve the mechanics of your breathing, this includes flushing CO2 out of the system, As the CO2 approaches your apneic threshold your breathing volume gradually becomes less until it passes it and you stop breathing (Central Apnea, one cause, a common one with PAP therapy). Having stopped breathing CO2 levels build and you gradually take deeper and deeper breaths resulting in the typical pattern of waxing and waning breaths with central apneas frequently at the nadirs.
Post Reply Post Reply
I turned off the EPR last night. AHI 1.8 this morning.

I've seen those numbers before with EPR on, and then 4.x the next day. I'll leave things alone for a week or so and see what happens.

I haven't looked at details this morning though, so I don't know how many were CA vs obstructive.
Post Reply Post Reply
OK - it's been a week or so since I turned off the EPR.

Since then my AHI numbers have been <= 1.8. I've seen a few < 1.0, and most seem to hover around 1.2.

I have not downloaded the details into Oscar, so I don't know if that EPR change took out the CA events, but something definitely changed.

I did order a ResMed F30 full face cushion/mask. I'm looking forward to seeing how that works for me. I've lost a lot of weight in the last 6 months, and I now have a problem with air pressure pushing out of my mouth even though I sleep with my mouth closed. This wasn't a problem until that weight loss, so I'm going to switch from nasal to nasal/mouth and see what happens.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  In a quandry over a couple of things... SheShells23 53 894 6 minutes ago
Last Post: SheShells23
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 21 414 3 hours ago
Last Post: Pawpri
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 154 Yesterday, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 270 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 615 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  Airsense 10 Respond Questions SheShells23 12 463 03-11-2024, 09:06 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  New - so many questions Matsu1 4 262 02-25-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.