Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Another set of questions about the Aircurve 10
RE: Another set of questions about the Aircurve 10
Looking at the charts I see awakenings immediately following some of the high pressure events. I think the machine is applying close to maximum pressure support (PS) to overcome hypopneas and prevent them turning into full-blown apneas. It's this very high PS which is causing the disturbance.

I agree with Dave's approach, but I'd be a bit more aggressive - raise the minimum EPAP to 8. Set MinPS to 3.0 and maxPS to 10. My guess is that you'll have a few more hypopneas and perhaps some apneas, but a far more relaxing sleep overall. Remember - the objective is not to get low numbers, the objective is to get a good night's sleep!

Try these values for a few nights then review.
Post Reply Post Reply
These are really useful ideas from the whole group - I'm very grateful.  I'll start playing with the PS values in the next week.

Meanwhile, I understand what the IPAP and the EPAP variables are for, as they have been used in previous machines.  Could someone explain or point me to a reference for what the PS variable is, and how it affects everything else?

Many thanks,

Steve Lowens
Post Reply Post Reply
PS is simply the difference between IPAP and EPAP. It's the additional pressure applied as you inhale. EPAP + PS = IPAP.
Post Reply Post Reply
PS stands for Pressure Support. When you are running the machine in ASV Auto mode, all 3 sets of pressures (EPAP Min-Max, PS Min-Max, and although hidden to user IPAP Min-Max) are continuously variable according to machine analysis. EPAP + PS = IPAP whatever is the current machine chosen number within those ranges that are set in the clinician menu for EPAP and PS. IPAP equals the sum of those two.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
This simple titration protocol flow-chart may help explain how we use the settings:

[Image: attachment.php?aid=4210]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've had several nights with my new settings:

Min EPAP 5.0 (unchanged)
Max EPAP 8.0 (was 10.0)
Min PS 3.0   (was 0.0)
Max PS 11.0  (was 20.0)
Max IPAP 19.0 (was 30.0)

I'm not being awakened by high pressure any more, am sleeping much more soundly, have AHIs averaging under 5, and the fatigue seems to be reducing, though still variable.  I'm very pleased and grateful for the recommendations from this group.

Also still waiting for a return message on this issue from my sleep therapist, which I sent on August 25.

Steve Lowens
Alameda, CA
Post Reply Post Reply
OK sounds like a step in the right direction. Congrats. You could post up some OSCAR data from this if you'd like. Maybe there's fine tuning to be had. Nevertheless, try these for a few days and evaluate how you're feeling.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 155 Yesterday, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Rant and AirCurve 10 vs AirCurve 11 question Whacked 11 298 03-25-2024, 03:14 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 563 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 270 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  Plmnb's New Therapy ResMed AirCurve 10 ST-A Plmnb 204 8,504 03-19-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: Plmnb
  Trouble adapting to ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV JanetW 6 207 03-19-2024, 01:58 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Aircurve 10 ST-A and Lumis 150 VPAP ST-A just a UK branding difference? SingleH 37 2,239 03-18-2024, 07:51 AM
Last Post: SingleH

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.