Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Anti-asphyxiation ports on ffm
Anti-asphyxiation ports on ffm
Just wondering why only ffm have anti-asphyxiation ports?  Is it due to the large surface area?  Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Anti-asphyxiation ports on ffm
It's because you can just breathe through your mouth if the machine shuts off unexpectedly and you're wearing a nasal mask.
Look, I'm an engineer, not a doctor! Please don't take my opinion as a substitute for medical advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
Boxcare Pete, can you explain a little further what you mean, sorry don’t follow you.
Post Reply Post Reply
Direct from ResMed's website:

ResMed Wrote:The AAV is a safety feature in all ResMed full face masks. If the therapy device stops delivering air for any reason (e.g. in a power failure), the AAV allows you to breathe in fresh air from the room rather than re-breathe exhaled air built up in your mask.

If you are wearing a mask that is not a FFM, the only thing you need to do to get fresh air is breathe through your mouth which is not covered by a nasal mask.
Look, I'm an engineer, not a doctor! Please don't take my opinion as a substitute for medical advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
Got it, thanks for the explanation.
Post Reply Post Reply
...until you start mouth taping.  Tongue
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-09-2024, 10:12 AM)Valtor Wrote: ...until you start mouth taping.  Tongue

Indeed, there is suffocation danger when you use a nasal mask, which has no anti-asphyxiation port, with mouth taping when the pressure support ceases for some reason. To deal with it, I have set up a power outage alarm. However, what happens when there is no outage when the CPAP instrument malfunctions and stops delivering pressure? 
We would need a pressure gauge with an alarm. Unfortunately, I could only find such items in the high-pressure range, which are expensive. 

Do you know some low-budget pressure gauge with an alarm? 

Of course, one can build one with a U-tube water manometer and some cheap water leak detector, but I want to have somewhat more solid and professional. 
Any suggestion?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NORA [Anti-snoring device] Jackiep 3 2,630 09-12-2019, 10:15 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Airfit F10 Anti Asphyxia valve Tigerman67 1 1,725 02-02-2019, 04:55 AM
Last Post: ardenum
  Anti-bacterial filter Bacterial/viral filter sherryl10 13 7,485 02-28-2018, 09:10 PM
Last Post: kiwii
  Asphyxiation valve on mask RLSdss 2 1,638 12-12-2017, 11:47 AM
Last Post: RLSdss
  [Equipment] Is there a way to tell whether this anti snoring device is treating my sleep apnea? nico08 10 3,296 04-29-2017, 06:43 PM
Last Post: ajack
  Did Resmed change the Airfit P10 Ports? numbersman 16 4,973 04-29-2017, 02:36 PM
Last Post: linda61
  Airfit P10 - condensation collects on exhale ports Possum 7 3,385 11-02-2016, 02:54 PM
Last Post: Possum

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.