Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Any thoughts on reducing AHI after increase from new medicine
Any thoughts on reducing AHI after increase from new medicine
I am hoping someone can help narrow down what I can do to help lower my AHI. There was a visible increase after starting a new SSRI medication on March 15.

I have been on CPAP therapy since 2005. Late last year I received a new ResMed 11, but my doctor did not change my prescription from the default, he left it at 4-20. I eventually moved it back to what my previous prescription was, which is 11-15. I was doing great there for a while, other than possible mask leakage due to dry mouth since then. 

Anyway, on March 15 I started taking a new SSRI and almost immediately my AHI jumped from an average of 0.80 to between 3.00 and 5.00 each night, and I've experienced more daytime sleepiness over the past couple of months than I've had for years. I have tried ranges between 4-20, up to tighter ranges such as 11-13 and am currently trying 11-16 but I can't seem to find a good pressure. 

Can anyone see from the graphs below what might be happening?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

INCREASE ON 3/15/2023

NO EPR

EPR 2

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Any thoughts on reducing AHI after increase from new medicine
Have you considered asking for an alternative medication?

It looks like aside from the leaks which need a bunch of work you'll want to consider raising your minimum pressure if you decide to continue the medication.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for the feedback. 

This is about the third or fourth medication I've tried and so far it's been the only one that has helped with my condition. 

From what you can see, do the leaks look like they are coming from the mask or my mouth? 

Based on the data from the screenshots, any suggestion on the minimal pressure?
Post Reply Post Reply
Take a look at your O events with EPR2. Notice that many of the events are grouped together. That show a good possibility that it is positional apnea. Also known as chin tucking where your chin drops down to your sternum cutting off your airway. 

This happens many times from back sleeping or bunching up your pillow and forcing your neck to kink. 

There are no settings to help this- you have to stay out of that position. Notice you have long stretches of time with no events. So check on how you are sleeping.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Reducing "chipmunk cheeks"? bjackson 1 43 5 hours ago
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
Surprised [CPAP] Sudden Increase in AHI amfar33 2 129 04-14-2024, 07:54 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
Question Any thoughts on why my heart rate increases when using CPAP? hejohoo 3 965 04-08-2024, 09:59 AM
Last Post: hejohoo
  Do you think I should increase my pressure based on this OSCAR data? mallowsweet 24 1,608 03-29-2024, 06:43 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Do I need to increase my max pressure? Daveman 7 259 03-29-2024, 08:44 AM
Last Post: Daveman
  Large Increase in AHI with F20 Mask David milt 3 231 03-13-2024, 07:15 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  [Pressure] Help interpreting low AHI after reducing CPAP pressure? grrrrr 2 331 02-21-2024, 06:26 PM
Last Post: grrrrr

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.