Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Anybody had depression/anxiety improve with CPap?
RE: Anybody had depression/anxiety improve with CPap?
Welcome

cpap banished morning headache and morning fog and misery... that is a very big burden lifted. depression... depends on cause. it the cause is fatigue, then it may well do the trick Smile
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Abby. I have a long history of depression and anxiety. I just started CPAP therapy about a month ago. I have to say that I am definitely feeling less anxious.

It's probably too early to tell what the ultimate effect for me is going to be, but I feel hopeful. It's nice not to wake up with my body already feeling stressed. It seems to give me more capacity for dealing with stressful events when they come up. I have been taking the antidepressant mirtazipine/Remeron for the past year for depression, anxiety, and sleep issues. It works really well for me.

I have also noticed that my anxiety gets worse if I skip meals. I assume that's due to fluctuation in blood sugar.

I hope that you will see an improvement. I'm assuming that your anxiety is probably pretty severe if you are taking Xanax. Best of luck to you.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have had serious issues with anxiety that actually led to the discovery of my sleep apnea. There may even be a connection on some level between the two, in my case. Before CPAP therapy, I would wake up with attacks or episodes as I would call them because there was alot going on that may or may not have been purely an anxiety attack. Through a lot of trial and error with meds, xpap, and cutting my alcohol intake by about 2/3, the occurrences have been less frequent and less severe. However, the last few weeks have been virtually rest-less because of constant awakenings that do not always sync with respiratory sleep events. Mysteries I need answered as well.

My advice is; try hitting the problem from every angle because there never seems to be just one cause, or one solution. That is to say, talk to as many different doctors as it takes, but you must see a psychiatrist for the right meds, eat healthy, don't smoke, watch alcohol intake if at all, exercise, do things that reduce your stress and improve your mood, stay on top of your cpap therapy.
Post Reply Post Reply
i think (hope) my previous anxiety issues may have stemmed from my constant state of being exhausted all day - or at least it exacerbated my anxiousness.

After four months of cpap i'm still feeling tired but nowhere near pre-cpap days and i'm definitely waking up feeling more refreshed. As of last week i've gone cold turkey off my anxiety meds (with my drs knowledge) and will see what happens in the coming months. will be good to have a baseline with cpap therapy and no meds to judge how i'm travelling.

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-24-2016, 06:23 PM)Gyddyup Wrote: i think (hope) my previous anxiety issues may have stemmed from my constant state of being exhausted all day - or at least it exacerbated my anxiousness.

After four months of cpap i'm still feeling tired but nowhere near pre-cpap days and i'm definitely waking up feeling more refreshed. As of last week i've gone cold turkey off my anxiety meds (with my drs knowledge) and will see what happens in the coming months. will be good to have a baseline with cpap therapy and no meds to judge how i'm travelling.

FYI, it is not a good idea to go cold turkey on getting off Benzo's if you have been on them for any length of time, as you can have severe side effects which can be worse than your current anxiety levels. Work with your Doc and if you have side effects try a 3-6 month taper off plan.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-25-2016, 09:31 AM)Sacktime Wrote:
(02-24-2016, 06:23 PM)Gyddyup Wrote: i think (hope) my previous anxiety issues may have stemmed from my constant state of being exhausted all day - or at least it exacerbated my anxiousness.

FYI, it is not a good idea to go cold turkey on getting off Benzo's if you have been on them for any length of time, as you can have severe side effects which can be worse than your current anxiety levels. Work with your Doc and if you have side effects try a 3-6 month taper off plan.

Step into my office.

Somewhat true but... You CAN go off benzos cold turkey. It just depends on how you are taking them. In my case, I only take lorazepam as needed, on and off for years, which is sometimes a couple or more a week and sometimes none for a week, for example.

That being said, yes, be careful of going cold turkey on ANY daily anti-depressant or anti-anxiety meds. Most of them need to medically supervised weening off. I have taken things like Paxil and Zoloft that will screw up your whole month if you try to just stop taking them ice poultry.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-25-2016, 10:22 AM)FredSchnoyd Wrote: Step into my office.

Somewhat true but... You CAN go off benzos cold turkey. It just depends on how you are taking them. In my case, I only take lorazepam as needed, on and off for years, which is sometimes a couple or more a week and sometimes none for a week, for example.

That being said, yes, be careful of going cold turkey on ANY daily anti-depressant or anti-anxiety meds. Most of them need to medically supervised weening off. I have taken things like Paxil and Zoloft that will screw up your whole month if you try to just stop taking them ice poultry.

Dose and duration of benzo use is a factor in taper time. It can take 12 to 24 months for GABA receptors to up-regulate. Even then, the symptoms that put a person on benzos in the first place may return.

All benzos run the risk of status epilepticus upon withdrawal. That's a state of continuous seizure that leads to death. No one should cold turkey off benzos. ALWAYS be under a supervised medical plan with a physician when withdrawing from benzodiazapines.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Had very positive results, almost overnight with depression/fatigue. Could be placebo effect but I've felt 10 times better since starting therapy.
Post Reply Post Reply
Out of interest, now (a couple of years later!) what are you own thoughts and experiences of this? Has it helped, do you think sleep apnea was the underlying cause?

Please share!
Post Reply Post Reply
apnea has a long list of detrimental effects, including depression. however, many symptoms of sleep deprivation mirror many of the symptoms of depression. in my own case I don't think I am or have been depressed but in some ways I definitely behaved as if I did (e.g., tired, lethargic, cognitively impaired, moody, morose, etc.). now at long last I'm starting to become better rested and everything about my life is improving. tangentially, cpap & better sleep has also just about completely fixed my acid reflux but has had no positive effect on my high blood pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Anxiety dreams all night and waking up anxious Clementine39 1 192 02-23-2024, 02:10 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Central apneas and tips to improve CPAP therapy jcp519 20 1,286 02-21-2024, 12:37 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  [split] Doctor won't help improve Vauto settings JohnCondor 7 526 02-19-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Improve Respiratory Rate? MrIvanDrago 4 347 02-16-2024, 01:23 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Anxiety/elevated HR at beginning of night Jskier 1 213 02-11-2024, 02:41 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Improve my CPAP Performance dpoelker 4 261 02-06-2024, 03:27 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Extreme Anxiety during day after CPAP usage...something physiological? gohoos1998 9 718 12-29-2023, 10:50 AM
Last Post: Leedsunited92

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.